Infrared Images Comparison of various IR wavelength filters. RAW.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
As I've mentioned I own a full spectrum converted infrared camera so it 'sees' most of the ultraviolet and infrared range of light (deliberately blocked in a normal camera) as well as the visible spectrum. You can limit this to parts of the visible + infrared spectrum by using external filters. I have four filters that cut off wavelengths below 590, 630, 720 and 850nm respectively.
The images show the RAW output from the camera (converted to unprocessed jpg for forum display) with no filter and each of them in turn.

PGF-1_Full copy1 copy.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
PGF-1_590nm copy1 copy.jpg
PGF-1_630nm copy1 copy.jpg
PGF-1_720nm copy1 copy.jpg
PGF-1_850nm copy1 copy.jpg

Interesting the amount of color delivered by the 850. On my Fujis, the 850 produces what amounts to a black-and-white image, right OOC.

Also -- do you do anything in UV?

This is the first shot with the 850 and I was expecting essentially b&w too. It is a cheap no-name filter but will try it on my X100T and see.

Here is the RAW (as jpg).
DSCF0550.jpg

Here it is processed in ACR as others were.
DSCF0550_850nmPsChMix copy.jpg

And for comparison here is yesterday's image from the Pana GF1. It seems this sensor is seeing more red(swapped to blue).

PGF-1_850nmPsWB+ChSwap copy copy.jpg

These are the best I could get using a 720nm filter on the lens and long exposures. If it's windy there will be issues regarding blurring. I've ordered a D70 that I'm going to convert so I can get normal exposures and no tripod. And prefocusing then installing the ir filter. Hot spots are another issue. In black and white not so noticeable. It's not my thread but other's can show their samples here I guess if it's ok with the O P

ps. I didn't know where to post these without starting a new thread.

Last edited:
Back