Concours Car Show

Yearly big car show in my town.

A very cloudy day which was great as I did not get sun glare, but tough as I had to bump up the ISO pretty high

A6000 and 18-135mm

First, The Classics:
_DSC0818.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

_DSC1122.JPG

_DSC1114.JPG

_DSC1098.JPG

_DSC1044.JPG

_DSC0968.JPG

_DSC0972.JPG

_DSC1124.JPG

More Classics:
_DSC1102.JPG

_DSC1106.JPG

_DSC0932.JPG

_DSC0966.JPG

_DSC0936.JPG

_DSC0905.JPG

_DSC0907.JPG

_DSC0893.JPG

_DSC0830.JPG

_DSC0917.JPG

_DSC0824.JPG

_DSC0808.JPG

_DSC1050.jpg

Mid 80's and above:

_DSC1012.JPG

_DSC0865.JPG

_DSC0871.JPG

_DSC0883.JPG

_DSC0863.JPG

_DSC0842.JPG

_DSC0840.JPG

_DSC0838.JPG

And just random others:
_DSC1074.jpg

_DSC1072.jpg

_DSC1070.jpg

_DSC1034.JPG

_DSC1032.JPG

_DSC1038.JPG

_DSC1086.JPG

_DSC0852.JPG

Some drool worthy machines! My first car was a 70 GTO maroon with black top, mag wheels with raised white letter tires. It was an awesome car with too much power for a 16 year old. Wow did I have some great times in that car!

I had a "kit car" of that first Porsche in black. It was a fiberglass body fitted onto an old Beetle donor....which is really all the original ones were. Very few knew the difference. And it wasn't crazy fast.....it was still a stock old beetle, but it was very light and fun to throw around in the curves.

I don't think I'll ever have enough "extra" money to have a really fun car again. At least I had one when I was young enough to really kick it in the rear.

Some drool worthy machines! My first car was a 70 GTO maroon with black top, mag wheels with raised white letter tires. It was an awesome car with too much power for a 16 year old. Wow did I have some great times in that car!

Wonderful first car

Great shots! Someday, when I win the lottery, a 57' Bel Air Wagon will be my daily driver. :D

Go for it

There's just something about classic cars that make you stare at them for hours.

For sure.
I had a "kit car" of that first Porsche in black. It was a fiberglass body fitted onto an old Beetle donor....which is really all the original ones were. Very few knew the difference. And it wasn't crazy fast.....it was still a stock old beetle, but it was very light and fun to throw around in the curves.

I don't think I'll ever have enough "extra" money to have a really fun car again. At least I had one when I was young enough to really kick it in the rear.

Done right, kit cars can be a lot of fun and often are better than the originals. My neighbor growing up had a Cobra kit car, what a fun ride.

Dad built a cobra kit about .... 17 years ago? Maybe 20. Put a 428 in it, got things dialed in nicely over the years. He knows exaaaaactly how much throttle he can get away with before the rear breaks loose (I don't), so when he hooks it up in anger, I literally cannot inhale. All I can do is go "Hnnnnnnnnn" and try to wait it out til he shifts.

Dad built a cobra kit about .... 17 years ago? Maybe 20. Put a 428 in it, got things dialed in nicely over the years. He knows exaaaaactly how much throttle he can get away with before the rear breaks loose (I don't), so when he hooks it up in anger, I literally cannot inhale. All I can do is go "Hnnnnnnnnn" and try to wait it out til he shifts.

I remember explaining to my wife a little bit about the handling of the car (the Speedster clone) being lightweight with all the weight in the rear. She asked "what does the rear end breaking loose feel like", I happened to be taking a left hand turn on some damp pavement, and said "I'll show you".....taps gas while turning wheel and she nearly got through the intersection before I did, but then I let off and snapped it back around. After that demonstration she decided that she didn't want to take it for a spin. She also asked me to never do that again while she was in the car.

Sounds like a car where you have to worry about redshift as you approach a light . . .

BTW, did you ever see the Road and Track test of Bill Cosby's Cobra? The acceleration curve was essentially straight up.

Cheers, Jock

I remember explaining to my wife a little bit about the handling of the car (the Speedster clone) being lightweight with all the weight in the rear. She asked "what does the rear end breaking loose feel like", I happened to be taking a left hand turn on some damp pavement, and said "I'll show you".....taps gas while turning wheel and she nearly got through the intersection before I did, but then I let off and snapped it back around. After that demonstration she decided that she didn't want to take it for a spin. She also asked me to never do that again while she was in the car.

I did this, the one time I took my wife down to Dad's. Approaching an intersection in the cobra, taking a left, yield on green. I see a gap that I CAN make, but I need to do so .... expediently. So I give it a bit of gas and start the turn, but it's a bit much gas, and so the rear end begins to step out. Let off, hooked back up, and bippitybop right on through like it's no problem, except she's got eyes the size of saucers, and is holding the arm rest grip much more firmly than is required. "sorry honey, it's just a giant go-kart."

I was at Sebring 12 Hrs when the original Cobras were first introduced. Only 10 miles from my house. Carol Shelby was there and he had about 6 289's. They were nice but we didn't like nice. The next year he dropped the hammer with the 427 side oiler. It wasn't nice. We loved that. Then he built the GT 40 to dominate endurance racing. Met a lot of drivers and owners even though we were just teenagers. Those were the days. I went to Sebring every year for 35 years until my wife passed. We even went when it was cancelled because of the gas crisis in the late 70's early 80's and partied for 3 days. Sebring is like no other, or used to be. Motorsports on Woodstock. Lol.

They can be a great kit car :)

I did this, the one time I took my wife down to Dad's. Approaching an intersection in the cobra, taking a left, yield on green. I see a gap that I CAN make, but I need to do so .... expediently. So I give it a bit of gas and start the turn, but it's a bit much gas, and so the rear end begins to step out. Let off, hooked back up, and bippitybop right on through like it's no problem, except she's got eyes the size of saucers, and is holding the arm rest grip much more firmly than is required. "sorry honey, it's just a giant go-kart."

Passenger versus driver can be a radically different experience

Back