Congratulations to the winner of the WC 24-29 June.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
With over 45% of the vote congrats to olli with his beautiful image.

5872430914_e9170e0cf5_o.jpg

olli, I gotta tell ya... this is a great image... I studied it for a good 20 minutes and just fell in love with it.....
Congrats, you really made a great statement....

sorry...I can't hold back....
The way the man is leaving the shrine and then the look in her eyes as if her soul was illuminated...... on the left side the hands holding the cross compliments her hands holding the candle....
then the far right, there's a man coming into The Light ad looking to her as if being shown the way.....
The glow of light falling on the mans head as he leaves the shrine.....

Man....a book is in order.........!

Thanks. I humbled. I know this is a good image but I thought Bill's was superb.

Don, thanks for your kind words. I don't know if you know the story but here it is. This is taken at Jvari monastery in the town of Mtskheta. It's high on a hill, ancient (6th century) and very special - it was here, according to legend that Saint Nino, who converted the Georgians to Christianity, planted a cross that could work miracles and became a place of pilgrimage. The church was built over the site of the cross.

Because it is so special it is a very popular location for weddings. When we went to visit one Saturday we did not know this but when we got there one wedding party after another was arriving, waiting, getting married or departing. Georgian church serivces are formal and liturgical but at the same time the churches remain open for anyone to visit so we went in to have a look around while the priest conducted the ceremony. At one point the bride and groom make a formal procession around the site of cross which is in the centre of the church. So we all shuffle off to the side walls to give them room (it's very small).

While I was watching them I noticed this woman approaching candles which stand before an icon with a candle in her hand. I had my LX3 on a neck strap and just had time to point it discretely in her direction and wait for an appropriate moment. I had no opportunity to change any settings or the zoom or to frame so I just pointed it it the right direction and pressed the button. Thankfully, it turned out well.

The only thing I did subsequently was straighten it up and do some cropping. I have about four different crops of this but this is the best one, I think.

Thanks. I humbled. I know this is a good image but I thought Bill's was superb.

Don, thanks for your kind words. I don't know if you know the story but here it is. This is taken at Jvari monastery in the town of Mtskheta. It's high on a hill, ancient (6th century) and very special - it was here, according to legend that Saint Nino, who converted the Georgians to Christianity, planted a cross that could work miracles and became a place of pilgrimage. The church was built over the site of the cross.

Because it is so special it is a very popular location for weddings. When we went to visit one Saturday we did not know this but when we got there one wedding party after another was arriving, waiting, getting married or departing. Georgian church serivces are formal and liturgical but at the same time the churches remain open for anyone to visit so we went in to have a look around while the priest conducted the ceremony. At one point the bride and groom make a formal procession around the site of cross which is in the centre of the church. So we all shuffle off to the side walls to give them room (it's very small).

While I was watching them I noticed this woman approaching candles which stand before an icon with a candle in her hand. I had my LX3 on a neck strap and just had time to point it discretely in her direction and wait for an appropriate moment. I had no opportunity to change any settings or the zoom or to frame so I just pointed it it the right direction and pressed the button. Thankfully, it turned out well.

olli, it appears that you went looking for and found Faith...in more ways than one....
don

I've always loved this picture, olli. Although I had seen it before, I did not know the full story - which is wonderful in itself. The church must have been a very special place to be in. Many thanks and congratulations!

Back