Fuji Considering picking up an X20 - trading my RX100 vI - Good Idea?

davidzvi

Hall of Famer
Name
David
As the title says I'm considering picking up a second hand X20.

My main concern is detail and ISO 800-1600. I don't expect it to compare to my Nikon FX system or really even with my m4/3. But it would be nice if it could come close to the RX100 I'm thinking of replacing with the X20 (the RX100 is just too small).

All the measurements and lab test companions stuff looks a bit soft to my eye but I have no idea if that's just settings and real world is different.

Thoughts?

Here is ISO 800 on an X10

8320286844_300818485e_h.jpg
Waiting Game
by dixeyk, on Flickr

I should think the X20 would be better as it is considered to have better sharpness and detail. I will add a caveat to that in that I believe the X20 uses a Trans-X sensor. I found SOOC JPEG files from my XE1 always looked soft to me. They do however sharpen up nicely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it is x-tran.

So you always post your XE-1 files?

Not quite sure what you mean by that last part. I don't have the X10 anymore so the only files I post these days are from the XE1. The images above are from when I had an X10. I really liked that camera a lot. Some days I think I would gladly trade my XE-1 to have it back. It was really enjoyable to use.

Initially I didn't like the XE-1 files at all. I know it has the reputation of having great SOOC JPEGs but I am not a believer. I thought the JPEGs all looked a bit soft and flat to me. It wasn't until I switched to RAW (at the behest of some friends) that I started to get some images I was happy with from the XE-1. I wouldn't say I'm a Trans-X fan but I think if you shoot RAW it is capable of some really nice results.

That said, I think the X10/X20/X30 punch way above their weight class.

Not quite sure what you mean by that last part. I don't have the X10 anymore so the only files I post these days are from the XE1. The images above are from when I had an X10. I really liked that camera a lot. Some days I think I would gladly trade my XE-1 to have it back. It was really enjoyable to use.

Initially I didn't like the XE-1 files at all. I know it has the reputation of having great SOOC JPEGs but I am not a believer. I thought the JPEGs all looked a bit soft and flat to me. It wasn't until I switched to RAW (at the behest of some friends) that I started to get some images I was happy with from the XE-1. I wouldn't say I'm a Trans-X fan but I think if you shoot RAW it is capable of some really nice results.

That said, I think the X10/X20/X30 punch way above their weight class.

Sorry, not post in the forum, post process the files. Lightroom or something else? With the E-X1 you haven't found any in camera settings that you've been comfortable with? I normally shoot RAW + Jpeg so I have the option of sending a file to my phone/tablet when traveling if there's something I feel like sharing on the road.

Sorry, not post in the forum, post process the files. Lightroom or something else? With the E-X1 you haven't found any in camera settings that you've been comfortable with? I normally shoot RAW + Jpeg so I have the option of sending a file to my phone/tablet when traveling if there's something I feel like sharing on the road.

Ahhh...now I see. I shoot RAW and do a first run of post on Capture One Pro 8 (usually sharpness) then I move to Tonality Pro because I do most BW and I prefer using Tonality Pro or Silver Efex Pro 2 there. I agree, I don't care much for the in-camera settings. Shooting RAW gives me the most latitude for getting what I want. I tried using the monochrome film simulations but I prefer the results I get in post.

If I was traveling I would probably just grab whatever image I want to use and go through Snapseed or VSCOcam.

I'm in Budapest at the moment on a business trip and the only camera I have brought is my X20. I too shoot raw+jpg and tend to use the in-camera raw processor to tweak anything worthwhile. By default I keep sharpness turned up a tad and noise reduction low.

Generally I am pleased with the output; I did have an X10 in the past and the X20 is an improvement.

The OVF is the key for me. I tolerate rear screen focussing and composition only on otherwise excellent cameras like the Ricoh GR but I hate doing the zombie dance to capture an image. The X10/20 OVF isn't perfect but it's better than nothing, and the one in the X20 is a big improvement on it's predecessor. This is why I will never have an X30...

The OVF is the key for me. I tolerate rear screen focussing and composition only on otherwise excellent cameras like the Ricoh GR but I hate doing the zombie dance to capture an image. The X10/20 OVF isn't perfect but it's better than nothing, and the one in the X20 is a big improvement on it's predecessor. This is why I will never have an X30...
Not a fan of EVF? I actually really like the one on my E-M10. All the reviews I've seen on the x30 have been positive in regard to the EVF.

EVF's ok, but I infinitely prefer not to see the world on a screen of any sort. The X10 and X20 were different - and attractive to me precisely because of the OVF. The X30 leaves me cold because they have done away with that; it's now a "me too" camera with no real USP.

The "zombie dance"... good one. I always called it "dirty, stinky diaper pose." I liked both the OVF and EVF on my X10. I never tried the X20. The X30? Probably only if it dipped down to $299 or less.

I have another X20 on the way, and the OVF is the clincher for me. I think it performs well up to 1600 (in raw), and with the fast lens there is rarely need to shoot higher.. The jpeg engine is nowhere near as good at the one on the X10, but the added information in the OVF and the slight raw advantage make it a remarkably good camera. I was never interested in the Sony RX100 V1 because of the lack of any viewfinder. Like Bill, I have no interest in the X30 because it did away with the one thing on these cameras that stood out and made them special -- at least to me.

Back