Fuji Considering switching to Fuji - looking for thoughts and suggestions

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
olli
Greetings.

I'm a long time Sony user (currently NEX7 with primes - 19mm, 30mm and 50mm) but have finally concluded that Sony has limited interest in developing the E mount (as opposed to FE mount) system. With a little money to spend at the moment I'm reluctant to invest it in further E-mount lenses and I've been considering switching systems. Right now I'm leaning towards the X-E2 with the kit lens and the XF 35. At current prices that's about $1700 which is about my upper limit (though I might be able to squeeze a couple of hundred more.)

I'm tempted by the X-T1 but find that I prefer the NEX7/X-E2 style to the DSLR type look of the X-T1 with the central EVF. Also, if I bought the X-T1 with kit lens I probably couldn't afford to add any additional lenses for a while. Any thoughts on the X-T1 and kit lens combination as one's only gear? I worry that it might feel a bit limiting.

As well as the style issue, buying the X-E2 allows me to get the 18-55 and add one more lens. I'm leaning towards the 35 since most of the time I shoot with the 30mm and I like to have a more compact option. But I'm also tempted by the 23 and I'm curious about the Zeiss 32 since it's closer still to my favourite 30mm length.

Most of my shooting is 'urban' - I wander the streets and take pictures of whatever takes my fancy, so my gear choices are oriented towards that kind of shooting and I envisage using any new gear on the streets of Manila where I'm currently living. You can get an idea of my kind of shooting on my website at photography by olli and on my Tumblr blogs linked from the website.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, suggestions and advice. I would be particularly keen to hear from anyone who has also made the move from NEX to X system.

olli

You can see what I'm shooting in my signature. I absolutely love the X-E2 after coming to Fuji via Sony NEX and micro four thirds. I was for many years a dedicated Nikon DSLR user with a pair of D7000's before I went on a "smaller, lighter" quest.

I think the X-E2 is very flexible, light and useable. It's also discreet. Haven't shot the X-T1 but I've no interest in an SLR look-alike. Always have preferred rangefinder style cameras.

The 35mm is not quick to grab focus -- at least not the original one I have. But the optical quality is almost shockingly good even for a prime. For stealth, you could try the 18mm or the 27mm prime depending on your preferred field of view and end up with a smaller package. Mostly I do my art photography so lenses are more selected by the look they give rather than how fast they focus.

All that said, nobody can tell you what you'd like best (though some will try -- watch out for that, lol). But the combo you mentioned first sounds good. I had the 18-55mm at one time and it is as good as they say. It just didn't end up on my camera very often so it ended up getting sold.

Consider used gear and save enough money to get extra batteries. Fuji's are not known to be frugal with power (and the batteries are relatively small) and I carry 6 with me -- though I seldom use more than 3 or 4 in an all day session with two cameras in use. I shoot in abandoned buildings sometimes that are difficult to get in and out of so once I'm in I'm in. One hast have to have everything one needs with one.

Good luck making a choice, but personallly I think you're making the right move. As good as the Sony's were, I don't miss them at all.

Hi Olli, and welcome to the "dark side". I'll copy some relevant words from my response to a similar thread, if I may, then add to them.

"Well, I've had an X-E1 and currently have an X-Pro1 and an X-T1. If I was choosing between X-E2 and X-T1 I would consider whether I was more comfortable with a "rangefinder" or a "SLR" form factor; in other words, hump or no hump, eyeball centre, or eyeball to the left. I'd also consider whether I was a heavy zoom user or more of a prime person.

Personally, I am 80% rangefinder, 20% SLR in my preferences - ymmv. With firmware upgrades there is otherwise little to choose between the two cameras you are considering, and both will do the job for you. I'd not worry too much about lenses - leave that to the passage of time. I have the grip on the X-T1, by the way, and do regard it as necessary for longer, heavier lenses. However, I also have the iShoot grip on the X-Pro1 and had one on my old X-E1 so don't let that hold you back."

In your specific case, I'd endorse your thinking that the X-T1 with just the 18-55 - in fact any body with just the 18-55 - would be limiting. The ideal companion at the moment for the X-T1 in my opinion is the 18-135, but even with that I always carry a faster lens too.

These days, my grab-bag choice for a day out is the X-Pro1 (because of the rangefinder form factor) with the 18-55 and either the 35mm or 23mm. Both are faster lenses and I do feel the need for speed on many an occasion while out and about. This body and two lens combination fits well in the Domke F-5XB if you want a really small and discreet carry-around kit.

Reading what you've said, and looking at your website - really nice work, by the way - I think the 18-55 and either the 23 or 35 would do you nicely, but I would encourage you to consider the under-rated and very light 27, and in time the exceptional 14, that latter in particular given your style and choice of subject matter.

Hope this helps!

Hi Ollie, I wanted to say welcome. You have some nice work on your website. I like your eye for the interesting and your processing. For your style it looks like the Fuji would work really well.

If it's any help, I've been using an X-E1 for nearly two years and I plan to buy the X-T1 plus 18-135mm as soon as it becomes available as a kit here in France (saving about 300€ on the combined price).

I've used almost every type of viewfinder known to Man and I'm pretty agnostic about whether the viewfinder is in the middle, at the side, at the bottom, hanging off a bracket or sitting on a shelf a couple of yards from the camera. I'm going for the X-T1 because it has a much better EVF plus a tilting screen, plus the option to use a smartphone as a viewfinder and remote control. There are other features that appeal and one or two where I would prefer the X-E2's setup but overall I'm going for the X-T1.

The choice of lens is based on experience of my own shooting style and the fit to my other lenses -- I already have the Fuji 35 & 18 plus a couple of legacy lenses that can do stuff the new zoom can't.

Over here the price differential between the X-E2 and the X-T1 is much less than the price of a Fuji lens, dunno about where you are.

Thanks for all the input. I think my preference for the rangefinder style and the price differential (which is about $500 buying from B&H Albert) leads me to stick with the X-E2. Thanks for the suggestion about the 27. I hadn't looked at that and it certainly looks very compact. I'm wavering but still probably leaning towards the 35, particularly given that it's currently available with a $100 rebate. I've been browsing the Fuji x photographers site and saw lots of wonderful images taken with the 14 and it certainly looks very tempting for the next lens, thought I confess I'm also very tempted by the 10-24 zoom and the forthcoming 16 (and by the 23 and the 55-200:)), but that's all in the future.

John, thanks also for the tip about batteries and power consumption. I noticed that B&H are currently throwing in a spare battery, though not a Fuji branded one. Are your batteries all Fuji or have you used off brand ones?

Thanks for the kind comments on my site. I hope before too long I'll be able to add another gallery or two from Manila and also post a few here.

Thanks for all the input. I think my preference for the rangefinder style and the price differential (which is about $500 buying from B&H Albert) leads me to stick with the X-E2. Thanks for the suggestion about the 27. I hadn't looked at that and it certainly looks very compact. I'm wavering but still probably leaning towards the 35, particularly given that it's currently available with a $100 rebate. I've been browsing the Fuji x photographers site and saw lots of wonderful images taken with the 14 and it certainly looks very tempting for the next lens, thought I confess I'm also very tempted by the 10-24 zoom and the forthcoming 16 (and by the 23 and the 55-200:)), but that's all in the future.

John, thanks also for the tip about batteries and power consumption. I noticed that B&H are currently throwing in a spare battery, though not a Fuji branded one. Are your batteries all Fuji or have you used off brand ones?

Thanks for the kind comments on my site. I hope before too long I'll be able to add another gallery or two from Manila and also post a few here.

You can't lose whatever you pick, lol. Fuji's WORST lenses are still very, very good. I think if you are used to a "normal" view lens, the 35mm is a great place to start -- and you'll probably keep it forever. I ran around with a film SLR for decades with just a 50mm on it so I have no problems walking out the door and shooting just with the 35mm if I need to . That lens is great.

That said, the 23mm lives on my X-E2 these days more often. It's just a tad bit more versatile for me. If you like ultrawide work and find a killer deal on a Zeiss 12mm don't be afraid of it. Mine is excellent though they can be pricey (most good ultrawides are). But that 10-24mm calls me from time to time...

I'm new here too, also coming from Sony. Just ordered an X-Pro 1 and sorting out lens choices. Don't have much to add since I don't have any equipment yet, but I have had my share of gear over the years, my favorite being Leica M's and Contax G's. I've been drawn to Fuji X since it was introduced and am finally taking the step ... I'm excited to slow down and just try to make some images.

I have too sets of lenses, a bag set and a pocket set.

Bag set: samyang 8, 10-24, 23, nikkor 24/2.8 + 35/2.5 and voigt 58/1.4 and elicar or kilfit 90mm macro all with tilt adapter or speedbooster, m-g orestor 135 w/wo speed b, m-g 240mm.

Pocket set:
Voigt 15mm, the 27 and a nikkor 100/2.8

The 18-55 is usually on the second house.

All the fuji x lenses i have tried are super except the 18mm, its just a good wide pancake. They have replaced more lenses than i ever imagined before switching, even though i usually don't use af, they are still better than a few of my old favs. The 56 is propobly better than the voigt 58 too regarding rendering and sharpness, but eventually being able to use tilt with the voigt beats it.

Cheap adapter make it possible to use your old favourite lenses until (if ever) you want to replace them.

Good luck!

So I decided to stick with the original plan and ordered an X-E2 with kit lens and 35 which I picked up yesterday.

The body isn't quite as substantial as i had been led to believe from the reviews but then the NEX7 was very well built and it's close enough. The lenses are gorgeous though. I spent the first few minutes just fondling them!

One quick question: does anyone have any suggestions for replacements for those truly awful lens caps? Given how nicely everything else is designed I'm surprised they managed to come up with something so bad.

but I would encourage you to consider the under-rated and very light 27, and in time the exceptional 14, that latter in particular given your style and choice of subject matter.

I have both of those, and love them. In fact, I bought my 27 used from Entropic up there. An XE-2 with the 27 pancake on it occupies one of what I call the "sweet spots" in the Fuji world... a lot of people settle on that combo because together they're very, very small considering what you're getting (APS-C sensor, that stellar EVF, f2,8 glass, useful mid-rage focal length). One of the rangefinder-style Fujis with a 27 on it is a killer workhorse in a tiny package, which is important sometimes. So for that reason, I consider that lens a "forever" lens, even though the others I have are all slightly "better" optically (14, 35, 56) and often faster (the 14 is the same, the 35 is a 1.4, the 56 is a 1.2). It's plenty sharp and contrasty, it focuses very quickly, and it puts the camera in a large pocket or a tiny bag.

The 14 would be a good third lens for you, but is so wide that unless you REALLY love ultra wide shots, it won't be an everyday lens. Mine flirts with being "everyday" because the next length up I have is the 27, so I have a gap. When I do use it, it is SHARP. I re-notice that every time.

So in summary, I'd say the XE-2 + the kit lens, and then you should decide between "Bokeh-and-optical-incredibleness" or "Ultra-portability." For the former, go for the 35 or the 23, both are incredible. For the latter, go for the 27, which has the added advantage of being cheaper.

Back