Micro 4/3 Considering these lens

lucien

Legend
Hi, I had lens lens bookmarked for purchase.

Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f3.5-5.6

Panasonic 45-175mm f4-5.6

Does anyone use these? I'm going to get the panasonic 20mm 1.7, for my fast prime. But want some general lens

I had a similar thread, so if this is redundant please delete

thx,

Hi, I had lens lens bookmarked for purchase.

Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f3.5-5.6

Panasonic 45-175mm f4-5.6

Does anyone use these? I'm going to get the panasonic 20mm 1.7, for my fast prime. But want some general lens

I had a similar thread, so if this is redundant please delete

thx,
No experience with those zooms but the 12-60mm is regarded as the sharpest kit lens by Panasonic so far and it's weather-sealed too.

The 45-175 is OK. I'm not a fan of the power zoom, and prefer the more compact 45-150. The 12-60 is a very nice lens. It's not the most robust lens, but the size, handling and output are in great balance. Which body are you using?

thanks, I'm using Olympus om d em mark I. It's an oldie but a goodie. I have the Oly 45-150mm is the 45-175mm better than it if not you just saved me some money

No experience with those zooms but the 12-60mm is regarded as the sharpest kit lens by Panasonic so far and it's weather-sealed too.
thx, I'm considering a used copy. For general shooting. Is it better than the oly 14-42 kit lens? Because I have that

thx, I'm considering a used copy. For general shooting. Is it better than the oly 14-42 kit lens? Because I have that
Not much difference. MFT lenses have MTF values off-the-charts. The biggest difference is handling, though, may it be the 14-42mm IIR or the EZ. The 12-60mm is significantly larger but it compliments the E-M1's WR-ness. If you have the EZ, it's a pancake when turned off and it can act like a prime lens if you have the lens memory on.

I have the IIR not the pancake "EZ" Sometimes the IIR is hit and miss. When it hits its sharp enough for me, I'd like to try out the 12-60. The 12-100mm is out of my league. I got the camera for $50 essentially after trading in my Pentax gear, the Oly was $500 used. The other mentioned Pany lens are also out of my league. They are the price of a used Olympus omd e m mark II. I do want the pany 20mm f 1.7 for sure though

Not quite sure if this answers your question, Lucien, but I had and used the 45-175mm for awhile - and found it to be an exceptional lens. I never minded the power zoom. The lens is quite compact, seats nicely upon a variety of mu-4/3 bodies, and gives a range of views which is different from those of your 14-42 v.II. Incidentally, i also had a copy of the 14-42R and mine was in general quite fabulous, one of the best kit lenses I've ever had or used.

It seems to me that the other lens you mention - the Lumix G Vario 12-60mm f3.5-5.6 - would be a replacement for your 14-42mm. I'm guessing you don't need other choices, but the lens which has received sterling accolades from both users and reviewers, is the pricer Panasonic-Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 12-60mm, a lens which everyone seems to rave about. True, it's significantly pricier than the Lumix G Vario - so that may be a factor as well.

But for me at least, the 45-175mm ranks as among a small handful of truly fine - but also semi-affordable - micro four thirds zooms.

Thanks Miguel, I think I'll go a head and purchase both of these lens used on ebay. 1 at a time of course. Thanks for the input from everyone else as well. I should have mentioned that I was on a budget lolz.

I have the IIR not the pancake "EZ" Sometimes the IIR is hit and miss. When it hits its sharp enough for me, I'd like to try out the 12-60. The 12-100mm is out of my league. I got the camera for $50 essentially after trading in my Pentax gear, the Oly was $500 used. The other mentioned Pany lens are also out of my league. They are the price of a used Olympus omd e m mark II. I do want the pany 20mm f 1.7 for sure though
The 14-42 EZ is reputedly slightly better than the 14-42 IIR. However, the 12-50 macro is better than both, and is weather sealed. The extra 8mm at the long end and 2mm at the wide end make a huge difference. It is a far better lens than most reviewers say, but the Imaging Resource review accords with my own experience. It is here:

Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 EZ M.Zuiko Digital ED Review

Last edited:
Thanks John it's been fast tracked to my wish list on ebay. This one came under the radar. What's your suggestion for the (45-175mm) range. Should I stick with the pany?

Thanks John it's been fast tracked to my wish list on ebay. This one came under the radar. What's your suggestion for the (45-175mm) range. Should I stick with the pany?
I'm never really keen on mixing brands, personally, but plenty of people do quite happily. The Panasonic 45-175 seems to have a better reputation than the other similar Panasonic lenses, but I'm relying on the opinions of others.

You do lose weather sealing when you mix brands, if that's important to you.

The Olympus 40-150R is excellent for its price - punches far above its weight. No weather sealing though. e.g.

OI004219_edited.jpeg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And 12-50:

E-M1_JAK_2015-_4110385_Ew.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I thought the 12-50/3.5-6.3 was an old 4/3 remnant but now I might have one coming my way, as a part of a package deal. Internal zoom and focus sounds cool.

An acquaintance of mine (manager of camera section at Olympus Australia) said to me - "It's a lot better lens than it's given credit for, John. Specially in macro mode." That was before I bought one as part of a kit with my E-M1 MkI at a price I just could not refuse - half the price of body only, with an extra OEM battery ... He put me on to the deal.

He was right.

[Edit] It's not in the same league as my FTs 14-54 MkII, but at about 1/3 to 1/2 the RRP, what can one realistically expect. It is a good lens. I have never seen any of the faults for which reviewers criticised it ... [end edit].

Last edited:
Back