Fuji Contemplating buying a slightly used X100 - your thoughts?

Jun Yoo

Rookie
Hi there, Im contemplating getting a second hand x100 as well, its had less than 1000 shots taken and was bought originally in october 2011. But it does not have a warranty included as it was bought overseas. What would you recommend? its around $750 USD currently. Would you recommend it? Thanks.

Hi there, Im contemplating getting a second hand x100 as well, its had less than 1000 shots taken and was bought originally in october 2011. But it does not have a warranty included as it was bought overseas. What would you recommend? its around $750 USD currently. Would you recommend it? Thanks.

As x100 is a relatively new product, I would not recommend it as you might not know if there will be "bugs" such as the sticky aperture issue.

The sticky aperture blade issue is the only thing that would scare me about buying a second hand X100 from an unknown source right now. I'd buy one from a friend or acquaintance without hesitation, assuming they'd be willing to follow up with Fuji if that problem showed up on the camera. I don't know how many / what percentage of the X100's had the problem - mine hasn't and it would have developed it by now if it was going to - but it was enough that it would give me pause. Other than that, its a wonderful camera and there would be no reason not to buy one used. Or, you may want to call Fuji, explain that you want to buy it, but you've heard about the problem and see if they'll give you any comfort in terms of their willingness to fix it? But I'd guess they may not if its not in the hands of the original owner and warranty holder. I think they've been very very good about fixing it for those afflicted, but maybe not for second owners???

-Ray

I bought one used a few months back and then got panicky about the possibility that the SAB problem MAY pop up and sold it. I broke even. I missed it very much and recently traded for another one. There's a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that something may go wrong, but I've got about $750 into it (compared to $900 in the first one). My hope is that if something goes wrong, that Fuji will cover me (it really is their fault regardless of who bought it), but if I have to pay up to repair it, I won't have paid that much more than the cost of a new one....and at that point, then I think I will have some sort of warranty on the new part.

If you're not in a rush, I think you'll see quite a few more on the used market once the X1-Pro (or whatever it's called) is out there and in circulation. You may even be able to find one with a warranty card (or someone willing to help you out and stand by your side in the event of SAB).

Just my 2 cents.

good luck in your search

My hope is that if something goes wrong, that Fuji will cover me (it really is their fault regardless of who bought it), but if I have to pay up to repair it, I won't have paid that much more than the cost of a new one....and at that point, then I think I will have some sort of warranty on the new part.

I wish I could be so optimistic. Fujifilm has to my knowledge refused to repair second hand cameras under warranty - there are quite a few cases where this has been borne out. x100forum.com details them in a thread I started there on the Sticky Aperture Blade issue which is, sadly, still quite active last I looked.

They'll happily take your money though - I seem to recall the lens assembly and repair as costing somewhere between 700 - 800 dollars US / CAD.

When I sold mine I assured the buyer that I'd stand in on their behalf for any warranty related work that should come up, and I sold it only after mine had been repaired. So far as I know the buyer remains happy to this day.

I would buy it, I sold mine and regretted it greatly. Here in Aust, they have to fix it in 12 months new or second hand, and anyway, if something happens you could always ask the original owner to send it in for you? I would do that no worries for anyone who bought a camera from me :)

Have fun with it if you buy it, I'm buying another one and it will be second hand, just as soon as a good one pops up!

Personally, I believe that it's a ripoff when camera warranties are non-transferrable. A manufacturer should be able to tell (most of the time) if a camera is faulty because of a manufacturing defect vs user/wear/tear -- especially when there are well known issues like sticky aperture blade. Thankfully my X100 doesn't have the issue.

If you want one, buy it new, or used with a real warranty. To many x-100's have failed to risk that much money buying without a warranty.

I bought a lightly used Leica M8 with under 400 clicks on it about 2 years ago. Less than half price of new, and I bought a third-party warranty for it "just in case".

My used x100 just exhibited SAB issue while shooting over the weekend. It's a good thing that warranty are transferable here in Singapore, so I sent it in yesterday. So best to buy one new, or used with a valid warranty.

Hard decision that would be easier if the SAB issue was not lingering in the background with a potential to emerge.

Providing the seller was the first owner with purchase receipt from the retailer, and they agree in writing to return to Fuji on your behalf if there is a problem then I would risk it, if not - I would certainly consider going new and gettingv the full support from Fuji.

Either way, it is a camera well worth owning.

How prevalent is the SAB issue? I can't afford a new one, and am really considering getting a used one.

I don't like the non-transferrable warranties either, especially for what seems the be manufacturer's defect.

Have you read back through the beginning of this thread? Probably yes, you have...

I still have mine which was a pretty early model and haven't had any issues, but I wouldn't want to advise you. I think Ray's advice was pretty good back on the first page. Sometimes the Internet plays up issues that aren't really common and make us paranoid, but it is also rather a big investment for most of us to be "iffy" about. If you can buy from a source with some kind of reliability involved, it would be helpful. You might also just hang on and see if the price drops?

I am about to take the plunge...

I can't afford the new model anyway. When switching gear you can wait for prices to drop, but your existing gear will drop in price too anyway.

It would be nice if Fuji had some sort of repair program for SAB to cover units for say another year beyond standard warranty.

I bought a used one over at mu43 for $850 a few weeks ago, so the $750 seems like a good deal. I am not conversant with the issues raised in the rest of this thread, but in the few weeks I have been using it actively, I've thoroughly enjoyed the way it handles and the great quality of the images. Hope it works out for you.

Back