Contemplating my future

Delighted for you to see current events @tonyturley !

Fully agree - let's hope for quick compensation for all the anxiety and hardship. All the best!

M.

Fingers crossed.
Thanks guys. I've been kind of over it for a while, mainly just taking it day by day and waiting it out. Our finances never really took a hit, as I'd anticipated this happening and had tried to prepare us for it. I'm just rather jaded and cynical with the whole US political process, though. We could be right back here in 3 weeks.

Thanks guys. I've been kind of over it for a while, mainly just taking it day by day and waiting it out. Our finances never really took a hit, as I'd anticipated this happening and had tried to prepare us for it. I'm just rather jaded and cynical with the whole US political process, though. We could be right back here in 3 weeks.

I like to have at least three months where I can not work and be just fine without having to use Credit Cards and 401K.

I personally was raised and still believe in the basic beliefs of Conservativism. But my parents taught me to vote for the best candidate, regardless of "R" or "D" designation. I mostly find myself Libiterian or Independent, but here in my State of AZ you have to be registered into one of the two parties to vote in Primaries.

But the past decade or so we have really seen a hardening of the two sides. No one seems to care about actual good policies anymore. And forget about actually caring about the actual constituents.

Revisiting my old thread here. This is my final week at work. My office has been cleaned of any personal effects, and I've been working on closing out tasks and getting the place ready for whomever will step into my shoes. The selection for my successor has not been announced. That one makes me scratch my head.

I plan to do a lot of cleaning and purging around our house. I'm also going to devote more time to my woodcraft, and I want to significantly increase my bike riding. Speaking of which, I guess I'm getting more fit, even at 60. I had the fat bike out on a rocky, hilly 7 mile loop over the weekend. I've done the loop many times, and there are parts of the loop I've never been able to climb on my bike - I always got off and pushed. Not this weekend. I was able to pedal up every segment except one part that is very long and steep, and even on that one I pedaled considerably farther than I ever have. Not only that, but those other segments didn't seem nearly as challenging as previous rides. I felt really good when the ride was over, like I could have extended the ride a lot farther.

My goal this Autumn is to take my lighter Trek bike and aim for a 50 mile ride. We've had a very dry summer, and we're still forecast for a serious heat wave the next two weeks, so I'm likely looking at mid-late October. Should be a blast.

Revisiting my old thread here. This is my final week at work. My office has been cleaned of any personal effects, and I've been working on closing out tasks and getting the place ready for whomever will step into my shoes. The selection for my successor has not been announced. That one makes me scratch my head.

I plan to do a lot of cleaning and purging around our house. I'm also going to devote more time to my woodcraft, and I want to significantly increase my bike riding. Speaking of which, I guess I'm getting more fit, even at 60. I had the fat bike out on a rocky, hilly 7 mile loop over the weekend. I've done the loop many times, and there are parts of the loop I've never been able to climb on my bike - I always got off and pushed. Not this weekend. I was able to pedal up every segment except one part that is very long and steep, and even on that one I pedaled considerably farther than I ever have. Not only that, but those other segments didn't seem nearly as challenging as previous rides. I felt really good when the ride was over, like I could have extended the ride a lot farther.

My goal this Autumn is to take my lighter Trek bike and aim for a 50 mile ride. We've had a very dry summer, and we're still forecast for a serious heat wave the next two weeks, so I'm likely looking at mid-late October. Should be a blast.
My guess is that you're more energetic and more relaxed because you don't have to look forward to yet another week, month or year of the old workplace grind. Wait until you get used to resting or napping when your body tells you that's what you need. I'll bet you'll be able to get to the top of that climb without getting off your bike.
I had migraines every day (didn't realize that's what they were at the time) until I handed in my notice. Poof, they disappeared and I felt much better before I even actually left the job 2 months later - and that's with the uncertainty of suddenly being self employed.

I've seen your woodcraft. That is a meaningful activity for retirement.

Back