Pentax Continuous AF After K-3 III v2.0 Firmware Update!

Iron

Hall of Famer
Name
Tímo
Just sharing this initial test by Kobie M-C after the K-3 III firmware update to v2.0. Just when I thought that the PLM focusing was already up there, this firmware version can just be another one of those milestones for those who shoot AF-C. The update covers much better tracking in the Z-axis.

Here is the link to the download: Latest PENTAX K-3 Mark III Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

Many PLM users were surprised just because using a PLM lens is already an AF upgrade itself. I am satisfied with my BIF with screw-driven lenses, but PLM users keep on saying that I'd be very happy to know how much I am able to maximise the screw-driven lenses' performance after using a PLM lens.

For non-Pentax users, PLM means Pulse-Linear Motor. It's one of the newer focusing motor from Pentax, but has been around since the STM by Canon or AF-P by Nikon, and the AF speed is overwhelmingly instant with their version. PLM lenses are used in sport and motorsport as well as the D FA 150-450mm with the DC brush-less motor.

Is the grad ND firmware (which appears to be a paid upgrade? Boo Ricoh, don't start that now) something along the lines of Olympus's live ND filter stuff?

Plenty useful things in this update however. A new continuous AF mode and improved buffer performance for continuous shooting. Good stuff!

Is the grad ND firmware (which appears to be a paid upgrade? Boo Ricoh, don't start that now) something along the lines of Olympus's live ND filter stuff?
Yes, it is similar to Live ND by OM Systems. It's a paid upgrade currently limited to anyone who has a Japanese address. It can be a bit frustrating to somebody who needs it. Live ND can give artifacts in the final image, though. I still use Japanese physical ND ones.

Back