Fuji converting from raw

don_h

Rookie
Hi there…

Your flickr photos look incredibly clear/sharp. What converter do you use? I'm a photoshop user myself, wondering if you are using RAW or jpeg, and what you might suggest for settings / sharpening / etc.

I find the skin tones less pleasing with the x-cams (of which i now own 3) than with my canon stuff.

thanks!

I use up to 8 different converters. The converter that was used is usually stated with each picture. So it totally depends. :)

Thank you for your reply!

as a professional photographer, i often have to process many hundreds of images from a shoot. so i'm looking for a fairly easy solution. right now it's photomechanical and photoshop or bridge.
hmmm

There was a post the other day about Raw conversion and sharp images and the best software to use, apparently Fuji did some tests and found the Silkypix Raw editor bundled with the X100s is better for sharp images than Lightroom / Aperture / Photoshop.

I have not tried it yet myself but the poster responded with the suggested settings below.

Anyway, suggested settings on Silkypix V3 were:

"Open SK V3, select a RAW image and hit "Development" (assuming you do nothing else to it and merely want to save it as a jpeg)
Where it says in the Development dialogue box "Unsharp Mask" set it to Amount = 200, Radius = 0.6 and Threshold = 0.
As said, can't say for sure but at first glance (and you can preview it side by side with the original before committing) it improves fine detail. This can be set to batch too, so might at least allow for half-way decent images".

Interested myself to see if this is true.

I have been working with Silkypix and ACR v 8 point whatever it is. Maybe I am not using s.pix to its full potential but the results in acr have been very acceptable indeed. Try turning off all sharpening in camera and acr. Then use some high levels of sharpening after doing everthing else to the image. Works for me.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using FujiXspot mobile app

I don't issue recommendations for a particular RAW converters, as there is conclusive answer which one is best. My polls on test images showed that my readers simply couldn't decide. They are split. So use whatever you like best. That's typically the software and the workflow you are already used to and happy with.

I've found, at least for my images, that capture one handles the files much much better than LR5. My workflow is as fast as with LR5. I went with capture one express since I did not need everything capture one pro does. Which makes the price the same as LR5.

ACR and RAF Files.

I've found, at least for my images, that capture one handles the files much much better than LR5. My workflow is as fast as with LR5. I went with capture one express since I did not need everything capture one pro does. Which makes the price the same as LR5.

I have purchased the latest Silkypix program and wish I had saved my money. I found the colours were un natural and the texture and sharpness not as good as ACR and Photoshop.
Here is a link http://russo.smugmug.com/Photography/FujiACR-trial-Pix/37015141_PXP726 where you can go and see some comparison images.
These images were not shot for their aesthetic values but to give me some busy detail and areas of texture where I could see the effects of grain generated by the two programs.
I will be very interested to hear from anyone, particularly Rico, to find out if there are ways in which my processing can be improved.
Also I have yet to see any full size images using other image processors so that realistic comparisons can be made.
When you get into Smugmug hover your cursor in the top right of the main image and you will see a drop down of viewing sizes. Pixel peepers like me can choose the original size option.
I am using Photoshop 6 and its version of ACR. Not the cloud version which angers me, so we will say no more on that issue.

Rico. Did you get my mail about looking at the link again. I have included the raf files for you. I have shot and processed some images with further small modifications to the pshop process which further enhances the final image. Send me an email when you want a look and I will send the link. Russ

Can you send me an email to russ@reelfoto.com and I will send them to you direct. I will enclose the most recent of my experimental images where I have used the topaz sharpening plug in which I think is incrementally better than smart sharpen. It is now reaching the point where I am beginning to question my investment in 5D bodies and L lenses. If this were full frame it would be an exceptional professional camera.

RAW files are a little bit too large for my email account.

Please post them in a Dropbox account or something similar, so everybody here can access and review them and give it a try.

Hi Rico, here is a link to the gallery of pix which contain .jpg and RAF raw files. http://russo.smugmug.com/Photography/FujiACR-trial-Pix/37015141_PXP726
If you hover over the pix it will give you the caption and whether it is a .jpg or raw file.
If you wish to download the image, hover your cursor over it and right click. Select Save as to a file on your machine.
Hover your cursor over the top right of the image to select the viewing size to help you make your selection.
Russ.
I already replied that I can't find or d/l any RAF files from this site. Please provide direct links to RAF files. Thanks.

Russo, those files that you identify as RAF files are in fact JPEGs. I don't think a "RAW image" can be displayed in internet web browsers, but I could certainly be wrong. RAW image files are not "finished" and are only usually viewable through photo editing software where you are seeing the results of the raw (note lower case) image data being displayed with the settings you have chosen. This is why Rico is asking for a link to download the files. If one tries to download by the hover, click and save technique, they are just going to get the JPEGs processed from the RAW file (which obviously already have some JPEG settings applied).

In short, there is no such thing as a "RAW image"......at least not in the way we can view it. RAW is the format that the data is saved in. It needs to be processed to a JPEG or TIFF to be viewable or printable.

Hi Luke.. will check tomorrow. On the smug mug link there are the .jpg's and the raw files from which they were processed.. But I will check to be sure.
Whatever the outcome re the raw files the original post was with reference to the quality of processing that the latest version of acr seems capable.

Found 4 RAWs.

Here are quick Silkypix 5 conversions:

12731552185_78d54b7454_c.jpg

12731739983_59b46bd7dc_c.jpg

12731605415_29c09e8587_c.jpg

12732102424_a32a301c0e_c.jpg

Back