Canon converting RAW to JPEG

Boowe

I have begun to take pretty decent astro shots, but need solid no nonsense way to convert RAW to JPEG
I use a Windows laptop and Canon EOS R5 primarily. any real help would be great. Thank You

The supplied Canon DPP software works a treat. And it's free. Perfectly & accurately replicates the colours & settings from your camera
That's my experience too; one could call the DPP software slow or basic but in terms of getting those unique/ mythical "Canon Colours" from point and shoot cameras right up to a DSLRs, no other software converts the raw files so well.

DPP works, and you have a license for it at hand when you have a Canon camera. The controls are a bit crude though, and the user interface design is stuck at the good old Amiga 500 days, but that seems common to japanese software in general (I have to work with Omron machine vision software at work...).

I used ART Agriggio when I still had my EOS R. It's more powerful and has finer controls, but the learning curve is a bit steep. Lightroom is easier to learn. But it is open source and thus cheap to try. I used it for years quite happily.

Install and try DPP. It has a pretty full set of image-wide editing tools: color, exposure, noise, sharpening, lens correction, etc. You can export with full control over resolution, size and quality. It is my main RAW processor.

I don't understand why you'd need to convert. Can't you just save as a jpeg after editing?
Shooting Raw gives much more flexibility in handling shadow area and highlights. It gives much more flexibility in correcting color balance. JPEG is limited to 8-bits per color, Raw is usually 14-bits.

Shooting Raw gives much more flexibility in handling shadow area and highlights. It gives much more flexibility in correcting color balance. JPEG is limited to 8-bits per color, Raw is usually 14-bits.
I understand that but after editing the RAW, why not just save as a JEG?

The OP is asking for a straightforward way to do this- I suspect meaning converting a large number of RAW files to JPEG. Doing a "Save As" works for one file in most software I know of. I use ART and Lightroom to batch export fles. On some cameras- I shoot DNG+JPEG or NEF+JPEG, especially when traveling.

ART allows you to browse a folder with all RAW files, select one to make the edits and optionally resize, then copy that profile to all the files. Put them on a queue, and export all of them. Lightroom allows the same options. ART (Another Raw Therapee) is free. Lightroom- you need a subscription these days.

With DPP you can select all (or some) and apply changes to the group. I often do that to correct color after a game, and to tweak exposure or contrast. When you're done you select what you want and batch export. By default, DPP groups photos by shooting date but you can group them any way you want.

Back