Cool new photography technology

Bobby T

Out Of Nowhere
We saw with the Nikon Z9 that it is without a mechanical shutter. And able to do flash sync with the electronic shutter. Which, if Nikon has eliminated the issues/side effects of using electronic shutters. Will be awesome for cameras going forward as that trickles down into other bodies.

Canon's new flagship camera, the R3, has eye control autofocus. Which detects what your eye is looking at and locks the focus there. It is combined with a now always on face/eye detect which can be set for people, animals, or cars. Also it can be used in conjunction with different zones.

I would love to see both of these make their way into Fuji land.

What new camera technologies has you excited?

It is this age-old invention that may not exactly be new but still wows me in its usability every time.

5c53269b9fd41_img.jpg

We saw with the Nikon Z9 that it is without a mechanical shutter. And able to do flash sync with the electronic shutter. Which, if Nikon has eliminated the issues/side effects of using electronic shutters. Will be awesome for cameras going forward as that trickles down into other bodies.

Canon's new flagship camera, the R3, has eye control autofocus. Which detects what your eye is looking at and locks the focus there. It is combined with a now always on face/eye detect which can be set for people, animals, or cars. Also it can be used in conjunction with different zones.

I would love to see both of these make their way into Fuji land.

What new camera technologies has you excited?
Didn't Minolta have eye control AF about 30 years ago? It's a very cool feature if it works. Although training myself just to look at where I wanted the focus would be challenging.

New tech - definitely the shutter-less sensor, providing the rolling shutter effect is eliminated. Eye-controlled AF would be something to think about, but as Martin mentioned I might find it a bit weird to use at times as my eye might wander the EVF during shooting.

Some other stuff I think needs improvement before worrying about adding new stuff.

Canon had eye focus on a couple of the high end analogue models, back when I was clerking in a camera store. Worked somewhat ok, in the store. Never tried it in the wild.

I want a soft box and strobe on a drone controlled by proximity to subject.
How lazy is that?
Actually, with models who move around a bit while posing. This is a brilliant idea as the lighting would remain consistent despite the model moving about. And while weight prohibitive with a strobe. It could be possible with LED lighting.

I watched a DPR video about a video camera that has a cool feature: LIDAR-based depth map that gives super manual focus aides. Demonstration starts at 6:45 minutes:

Almost as good as a rangefinder. But the benefit is that this works with any old lens you are able to mount in front of the camera.

Sadly the demand for this sort of thing in a stills camera markets is very small so I won't be seeing it implemented in a compact mirrorless camera any time soon.

Didn't Minolta have eye control AF about 30 years ago? It's a very cool feature if it works. Although training myself just to look at where I wanted the focus would be challenging.
Seems I was mistaken, there is no record of Minolta doing eye controlled AF. Perhaps it was just eye activated somehow. I remember trying out one of their SLRs in a camera shop about 35 years ago and being wowed by something. Oh well.

Back