Coolpix A back for $299.

I don't think I can talk myself into a THIRD copy of this camera. But it would bring my average price down just a little further yet... :cool:

Every time I shoot with this camera, I'm glad I have a backup, but they're really well built and my first one isn't showing any signs of wear or tear... I guess I won't. But damn, for all of the crap I've bought for $300 over the years, this would be for a backup to the backup of a camera I KNOW I love. Nah, there'll be something else as good or better out there by the time I'd ever need a third copy, if ever...

-Ray

Kyle, do you have the Fuji 18mm? If so, sell it and pick up a Coolpix A. If not, you really should have something at 28mm equivalent, so get a Coolpix A instead - I don't think you'll find the Fuji 18 for less and the Coolpix lens is better, although a stop slower. I personally like the sensor better than the X-Trans too, but I don't want to start an argument here... :cool:

-Ray

Yeah, just buy it. I've been really pleased with mine. I use it for most of my "28 mm" shooting. For 299, it's a nice lens with a camera attached.

Last edited:
Kyle, don't do it. All you need is your Fuji. Think of the great shots you've gotten the last couple years. Don't dilute your vision and muscle memory aptitude with silly distractions like "it's a great camera for $299". Of course it is, but you don't need it. I'd waaaaaaaay rather use that 18 end of that Fuji zoom than the dedicated matched lens and sensor of the Nikon....... EVEN if the other aspects of the Fuji weren't taken into account.

28 is too wide for me to dedicate an entire camera to it. Heck, 35 is sometimes too wide on the X1. For a fixed lens camera my sweet spot is 40mm, like those Olympus film rangefinders I cut my photographic teeth on.

If I used the focal length more, were more in tune with its possibilities I'd jump on this.

Wow, I cant't believe it's that cheap now.. Nikon must have manufactured 5 times or more of what they projected they would sell.. I bought one on Rays recommendation months ago and paid a hell of a lot more.. but I don't regret it one bit.. It's a awesome camera at 28mm.. Period.. if you don't have one buy one..

The A is a great camera. Really like mine. Great image quality in a compact package. Bought mine a the same $299 price, but mine was Canadian dollars, so it works out ~$230 USD at today's rate :)

I definitely prefer shooting with the X100S, but the A is right there in terms of image quality and is much easier to bring along when shooting isn't the forefront of the outing.

I'm not anywhere near tempted enough to get one. Too much Fuji gear / flash stuff I need. But I DID tell a stranger about this deal on Saturday. He was asking about the XT1, and if Fuji made a 28mm equiv lens. I said something like "yes, but right now for the price of that so-so lens, you can get an entire Nikon APSC camera and lens."

I'm resisting by saying to myself, "Can you take pictures with this Nikon that you can't take with any of the nearly dozen cameras that you already own?"

Today, it's working.

I'm resisting by saying to myself, "Can you take pictures with this Nikon that you can't take with any of the nearly dozen cameras that you already own?"

Today, it's working.

This is always true at this point. I almost interwebbed myself into a Canon M3 and the 22 yesterday but resisted at the last moment. Of course I realized that my Coolpix A could satisfy my needs in this case. :D

I used the A for my only camera during the 2015 Singles in January challenge. I worried about the FL but it was great fun. I came to appreciate the 28 FoV and that was definitely worth the trouble. Thinking maybe 35mm equiv. this year.

I got one of the $399 deals brand new from Samy's. I am amazed at the image quality from such a tiny camera. The Coolpix A is one of those few things I would pack if I had to leave on foot as the water was rising.

Back