Copyright uploaded images

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
Hi there, how to set my pictures shown here by me to copyright.
I took a quick look but did not find ou how.

Thanks for replies and help!

Best regards, Hermanb

Morning everyone!
All my images are copyrighted by me.
How and where can I set this?
Took another look at settings, but unfortunately I did not succeed.

Looking at the Terms and rules
it seems you only give permission to display the image on SC, and other than that, all copyright remains with you.
I suppose you could add a text to each of your gallery images and in your signature confirming that you keep copyright, or you could add watermarks.

From wikipedia:
In all countries where the Berne Convention standards apply, copyright is automatic, and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights.[10] However, while registration isn't needed to exercise copyright, in jurisdictions where the laws provide for registration, it serves as prima facie evidence of a valid copyright and enables the copyright holder to seek statutory damages and attorney's fees. (In the USA, registering after an infringement only enables one to receive actual damages and lost profits.)
(...)
The phrase "exclusive right" means that only the copyright holder is free to exercise those rights, and others are prohibited from using the work without the holder's permission.
Copyright - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

so as long as you haven't given someone permission to use your photos, they don't have that permission, regardless of whether or not you marked your images as copyright protected or not; it's up to them to attain your permission to use the photos in any way. Ofcourse in the world of the Internet, there's only so much you can do to effectively prevent unauthorized use of your works, so if you care about that, explicitly stating your copyright holdership with every image is probably the best you can do.

As an aside, it might be nice to add a list of copyright options next to the gallery images, just like you see on flickr?

you could do it in Paint if you wanted to (make sure to set the background of the text box to transparent), but as far as I know you can't make the text itself semi-transparent so if you want it to be subtle, Paint might not be the way to go.

For more sophistication and versatility, you can use the GIMP (it's my go-to program for everything I can't do in Lightroom, it's a sort of free Photoshop competitor, minus the raw capabilities)

If you already have Lightroom, it has a watermark option in the export dialog
There're a couple of online watermark programs but I don't like them.

Have a look at Tineye - that's very useful to see if someone has used your image elsewhere. I have successfully taken action a couple of times to protect my copyright.

Sent from another Galaxy

Have a look at Tineye - that's very useful to see if someone has used your image elsewhere. I have successfully taken action a couple of times to protect my copyright.

I've looked at tineye before, but the difficulty for me is that it's one-image-per-query isn't it?

You and I have a similar number of images on Flickr for instance ... it's a lot of copy/paste to check out a whole photostream, or am I missing some part of the jigsaw?
Did you use tineye to actually find out that you had been breached ?

Back