Coronavirus 2020 🤧

It is a fine line between staying informed about it and getting consumed by it (literally and figuratively).
My wife works in the medical field, so we have been basically living it since the first confirmed case was reported in Cleveland.

I have to help her "decompress" after she has been there for 12-15 hours.

I completely get where you are coming from, though.
Totally. Stay informed but don't get overwhelmed

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Totally. Stay informed but don't get overwhelmed
I restrict myself to one dose in the morning and one in the evening - plus government press conferences to know what's in store for us. We have restrictions in place that prevent hoarding, finally - and entry to stores is restricted, too (only a certain number of people allowed per area). Strange, but much better than a couple of days ago, most shelves are being filled again.

Regarding the situation, from a totally selfish point of view, we (i.e. the still healthy and mobile portion of the population) sort of dodged the bullet today: No curfew - for now. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm happy as a pig in muck ... Being confined to my own four walls (sorry, probably a Germanism, but I think you get the picture) for an uncertain amount of time is something I'm quite afraid of.

But I will continue to honour all advice as to caution, social distancing and mutual respect. Regardless of what people might think, we're all in this together.

btw. Here's a link to a video by Hugh Brownstone (Three Blind Man and an Elephant); thought-provoking:

Anyway, I hope we can continue talking about all this in this way, i.e. being (very) concerned, but not yet fully affected (not that we aren't - economy-wise; but that's a different matter). Stay safe.

M.

Biro

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
I haven't posted much on this.
well, it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I suggest a break from all media and social forums.....there is also an "ignore thread" button at the top of the thread. Feel free to use it. I understand it's overwhelming.
I haven't posted much on this subject - anywhere. Here's the thing: I'm in the news media (all my adult life) and I've been covering this pandemic non-stop. And by the very nature of what I do, I can't get away from it or turn it off. Journalists get stressed like everyone else, but have to behave as though they are not. As a broadcast journalist I've always had to suppress my feelings on the air.

Because I'm now an editor and because my wife is considered at risk ( and I guess technically I am as well - but not as much) my employer is allowing me and others to work from home. So we can look forward to a bit of cabin fever as well.

But one thing I've learned from being on the planet this long is this: The only way to get through some things is to simply go through them. Let's hunker down together, follow the guidance we're getting from HEALTH officials and refrain from complaining. It could still be far worse.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
So, I ordered a carry-out pizza online from our local place.....we wanted to support them in these difficult times.

So I get there and there's about 15 people standing in line (about 5 feet apart....happy to see the spacing) waiting to pick up their pizza. I'm a little confused what the hold up is since they were making everyone pay online in advance so there is no cash or credit card handling in person.

Their system clearly wasn't working, but I'm not going to complain. Everyone is struggling with "the new normal".

Now, some guy starts walking up to me having recently arrived.....there are now an extra 15 people behind me.....and we're still all around 5 feet apart (I'm trying to maintain closer to seven feet) and this new arrival asks if "we're in line for something". I assure him that we are all waiting in line to pick up our carry-out orders. He gazes to the front door and to the end of the line and says "let's tighten it up here a little.... you guys are all 20 feet apart". I put on my best lunatic-just-released-from-the-asylum face and said "I'm not tightening ANYTHING up". "We're all trying to keep some social distancing and standing closer together doesn't get any of in any faster so what's the point"

He shrugged his shoulders when he realized that I was larger, younger and crazier than he was and went to stand at the back of the line. He was standing one foot away from the guy at the end of the line.

So, in addition to "wash your hands and keep your social distancing", I'm going to add.....think and be kind. And maybe......just maybe we'll get through the next few months.

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Here in California, independent study schooling is still mandatory and as parents we've become the full-time teachers. I believe some other states have completely suspended school. It's been crazy, but I also feel it's a good educational and life experience for my kids to understand the situation we're in. We need future generations that can be prepared for the unexpected and can easily adapt.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
I'm more sick of hearing / reading about the c-virus than I would be if I actually had it! :dash2:
I can only assume that your area is not experiencing the same as some of us. The county my family lives in is the epicenter of the outbreak in Pennsylvania; to say the lives of those who live here has been disrupted would be an amazing understatement. Quite literally not a single aspect of our daily lives has not been affected but we're making do.

Here at Cameraderie at least there are only two threads related to the pandemic, this discussion thread and a picture thread, both can be easily skipped over and members of the supporters group have an "ignore" option available to them if they want to not even see it at all.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
wife is on several daily medications for asthma and allergies, local drug store is running low supplies and one item, Albuterol, is not available at all... local grocery stores are still low on supplies, bare shelves are not getting restocked, still no bananas...
The local CVS did a partial refill Mrs. Kevin's Albuterol script, hopefully it'll last long enough until supplies are built back up. On the positive side I finally got my hands on some bananas. 🥳🍌

Here in California, independent study schooling is still mandatory and as parents we've become the full-time teachers. I believe some other states have completely suspended school. It's been crazy, but I also feel it's a good educational and life experience for my kids to understand the situation we're in. We need future generations that can be prepared for the unexpected and can easily adapt.
We are being given assignments.

Both my wife and I are in critical jobs and as such are thankfully still working. We are scrambling to stay working, getting someone to watch the kid for 2 hours between schedules and follow through on the educational requirements. Very stressful.

Richard

All-Pro
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
My partner's birthday today, and it's a lovely sunny day so we're going to take up the National Trust's kind offer and visit one of their gardens. Cliveden is the nearest NT estate to us, so that's the plan.

We are being asked to observe social distancing rules, so we will certainly be doing that (got my six-foot pole to fend off the complacent). I think a few hours out of the house will do us good.

-R

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
Our son did a modest grocery shop today. After a tip from our elderly neighbour he went to a local independent grocery (IGA) and although busy there were no shortages. Best to give the major duopoly supermarkets a wide berth.
One thing about hoarders here in Australia, they're lazy people so whilst their garages might be brim to the ceiling with toilet paper and instant noodles from say Costco with it's numerous parking failities, they're not as likely to be going to the small local grocer.

I can only assume that your area is not experiencing the same as some of us. The county my family lives in is the epicenter of the outbreak in Pennsylvania; to say the lives of those who live here has been disrupted would be an amazing understatement. Quite literally not a single aspect of our daily lives has not been affected but we're making do.

Here at Cameraderie at least there are only two threads related to the pandemic, this discussion thread and a picture thread, both can be easily skipped over and members of the supporters group have an "ignore" option available to them if they want to not even see it at all.
I'm not referring at all to camera related on-line forums which are comparatively "mild" in discussing the c-virus. What is disturbing is the relentless need/desire for the *#))_%$@^% media to report "doomsday" BS all day long. Our (&^#%&& governor even stated that half the residents in California (about 20 MILLION) will contract the virus! Talk about "scare tactics" ..... Rant Over!
No response necessary!

tonyturley

Legend
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I live in a relatively low populated state, but a lot of people here travel. We went from zero to eight confirmed cases in just a couple of days, all travel related. While our cities are small, I still live in a combined metro area of half a million. My wife and I have suspected there may be many more cases, but no one is being tested due to unavailability of test kits. Local hospitals have implemented strict "no visitor" policies. Panic hoarding has made it more difficult to find basic supplies.

I've been itching to get my bike back out in the woods, but have been hesitant to spend much time on the highways. I've kept my bike riding to shorter local rides. If we get another nice day this week, I'm planning to drive a couple of hours to one of the state's better bike trails for a long day trip.

Last edited:

Richard

All-Pro
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
Just back from our walk at Cliveden. We arrived about half an hour after opening, and I reckon if we'd left it another 15 minutes or so we wouldn't have got in, as the car parks were filling up fast when we arrived.

The only time we felt uncomfortably close to other people was on the walk in from the car park, but after that there was no problem at all, in fact for about 10 minutes on the far side of the estate we didn't see anyone else at all. At other times you could see people passing each other took a graceful arc around each other, as if repelled by electrical charge. I imagine the woodland footpaths are going to get steadily wider as this goes on.

I'm glad we made the effort to get out in the sunshine. Here's a snapshot - note separation from the next visitors !

-R

Latest threads

Top Bottom