Coronavirus 2020 🤧

The one thing I must say I find confusing is why we aren't testing a lot more people. Isn't that what has made responses like So Korea more effective? The west coast US response of shutting down virtually everything isn't working in my little town - everyone is still out and about. But it seems massive testing could let us target this whole blanket shut down approach.

I guess the tests aren't that reliable?

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
Pennsylvania, USA
Well, I guess this partly explains why I'm having a hard time with the supply of bananas.... a fake video making the rounds that combined two different news clips to make it appear like bananas help prevent getting COVID-19.

Matero

All-Pro
Jan 28, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
The one thing I must say I find confusing is why we aren't testing a lot more people. Isn't that what has made responses like So Korea more effective? The west coast US response of shutting down virtually everything isn't working in my little town - everyone is still out and about. But it seems massive testing could let us target this whole blanket shut down approach.

I guess the tests aren't that reliable?
There are challenges with testing, especially with fast tests, like false positives. Fast tests identifies antidotes of covid19 from blood. But it takes 4-6 days to develop enough antidote to be measured reliably. And then you have spread already the virus. Fast tests are more useful to identify people who are already recovered and been sick without serious symptoms, and there are plenty of those.

Normal tests require more laboratory time and therefore aren’t so useful to identify lockdown targets. So there isn’t really a silver-bullet for the testing challenge, at least for now.

Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Andrew
Ohio has now started an executive order from the governor’s office. Stay at home. Only businesses outlined by the Department of Homeland Security can operate. This means essential to infrastructure. Jobs pertaining to food supply and health care will continue. Restaurants that can provide delivery or curb side pickup can run.

if you need to go out for food, supplies or doctor visits, you can... but no going to other businesses. We can still walk the dogs or exercise outside.

my mother lives in Pennsylvania and they have enacted a 9pm curfew. They have similar restrictions as Ohio.

my mom is 77, so I check on her often. I’m lucky too as 4 other siblings live close. She has enough to last her for 4 weeks of need be.

I’m hoping that we can get a handle on this sooner than later. I have faith and that will have to do for now.

I work for the state government and we are doing a great job ensuring that the services and systems we maintain or up to the task. So proud of my fellow workers and how they have stepped up and made sure that those in need are looked after.

even yesterday, I stopped by to get some things from the local grocer. There were 2 guys ahead of us.One of them
Was short on money and the second guy, without hesitation took money out of his own pocket to help the other guy. So we helped him out and bought all his grocery’s. It wasn’t a lot, and the neighborhood we live in is not a wealthy one. It is these small acts of love and kindness to one another that will get us through.

I did get a chance to get out and walk about the park for a bit.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Social Distancing

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I bought a large pump of hand sanitizer about 6 months ago for a cheap way of refilling the little spray pump unit I carry in my pocket every day. I also have a litre of 99.9% iso alcohol I've had for a couple of years that's sold as circuit board cleaner. Mix the iso with aloe vera gel in a 7/3 mix and there's a huge supply of hand sanitizer for cheap.
Much better than the $97 bottle of Purell I saw on Amazon a few days ago. It's gone now, so I don't know if some desperate soul fell for it or Amazon marked it as a scam.

Also, we were beginning to run low on certain food items, so I scheduled a grocery run early yesterday morning. My sweet wife made a list, and even went online to the store's web site and wrote the aisle where each item was found. I decided to time my departure so I arrived about 10 minutes after the store opened, to give the waiting throng time to thin. When I arrived, the parking lot looked like a Friday afternoon before a major expected snow storm. I found a buggy outside the store entrance, and thoroughly wiped it down with a Clorox wipe from a baggy I had in my pocket. The crowd inside was surprisingly polite; I encountered no rudeness, and even had a few "Oh, excuse me" encounters. For someone who all too often has a cynical view of other people, it just seemed to me that everyone was just trying to get finished and get out. Unfortunately, I did see a couple of people who seemed to be genuinely frightened. I don't know how this is going to end, but living in terror is no way to live at all. We're just trying to be careful and giving people as much room as possible.

Last edited:

christilou

Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Frimley
We are supposed to be self isolating as much as possible however there appear to be no on line grocery deliveries available any more which means someone is going to have to brave the supermarket at some point :eek-54: That aside, the weather here in the South of England is beautiful. We've been walking every day through the woods, avoiding the very few people we meet. Nature seems to be doing it's thing oblivious to our plight. It seems that everything is bursting into life whilst we humans are the only fly in the ointment! My dance teacher is about to launch her online classes and so at least we can try to keep fit for the duration. Social interaction is much missed however.

Richard

Top Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
We are supposed to be self isolating as much as possible however there appear to be no on line grocery deliveries available any more which means someone is going to have to brave the supermarket at some point :eek-54:
It's an unhappy prospect, isn't it? Particularly when half the things one particularly needs are missing from the shelves anyway.

Even tinkering with an existing order for a delivery (if you're lucky enough to have one) is becoming impossible. "We are extremely busy at the moment, please try later."

-R

BrianS

Hall of Famer
Apr 3, 2013
Gas was $1.69 for regular and $2.09 for premium. I splurged.
Needed mostly milk and bread products- no problem, in and out of Sam's club in 15 minutes. Picked up chocolate muffins for Nikki, bagels for me.

Went to work today- I always leave the house by 4:15am, I was surprised by how many cars on the road. I'll be going in 1 day/week, work at home for the other 4. We're lucky- we have friends that are not allowed to tele-commute, and will be furloughed.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
I'm going to be teaching online and I can go in whenever I want. It's just easier to do it from my office because all my books are there, I find the desktop system easier to use, and my university has a much higher speed connection than I have at home. Almost no one is here so It's a pretty safe space especially since no one else should be in there. I did notice that when California shut down one of the groups that could go into work was all those involved with online teaching. I have a webcam set up so I can work problems on the white board during zoom meetings, either by class or individually.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
Oldies and vulnerable people shopping here is 7-8 am every day at Coles, but Woolworths had planned to stop their special hour after Saturday. don’t know if they did. They have started a priority assistance for home delivery, for seniors and vulnerable people and I have qualified for that, being both. Time slots are limited, I should probably put in an order today for next week. This means I really dont need to leave the house/yard for anything much, except if I get stir-crazy.

christilou

Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Frimley
Last night we were advised that all "at risk" patients would be notified by the NHS and would be asked to quarantine for 12 weeks. I know someone with a kidney transplant and she was notified today so it's definitely happening. My husband is pretty asthmatic but I anticipate him as being fairly low on the priority list ..... hopefully.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I am 66 but have been working remotely full time for the last 7 years. So I have not had to adapt.

I have no intention of retiring. I have two kids age 10 and 12.

It is starting to get rough here. The kids are bored to death in my average sized NYC apartment and have not been out for about 11 days now. My wife is sometimes difficult due to anxiety and being cooped up. (UNDERSTATEMENT!)

I have anxiety as well, but trying to control it. I work, write, cook and scour the news.

The kids are fighting, playing computer games, staying up all night (which I allow them now if they want). I "suit up" and go shopping every 5 days or so, which makes me nervous but it has to be done.

I have also been trying Amazon Whole Foods delivery which is constantly being screwed up by incompetent new hires.

I really fear for my sanity if this goes on for months and months. (which I think it will)

Today, the kids just started remote classes from NYC Schools. They are all using ZOOM, a conferencing app.

Strange days indeed. I have to be cautious and remind myself I am an "old" person and at risk although I don't feel like one. But a look in the mirror confirms it. :frown:

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
Pennsylvania, USA
Mayors and other Italian leaders are started to get a little frustrated with people ignoring the lockdown orders. This compilation is of real videos being put out by the local governments. I'd be most worried about the old guy talking about flamethrowers 🔥.... it's the ones who remain calm while making threats that you need to be on the lookout for.

Warning: Some NSFW language (and/or hand signals)

Town, city and regional mayors have been sending emotional pleas to residents to stay indoors after witnessing people flouting a nationwide lockdown by going jogging, playing ping pong and taking 'exhausted dogs' for long walks.

The appeal came as the Italian government banned any travel inside the country and closed all non-essential businesses as it desperately tries to stem the spread of a coronavirus

This is how the mayors of Bari, Messina, Lucera, Gualdo Tadino, the Governor of Campania, and the mayor of Reggio Calabria have addressed their constituents

christilou

Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Frimley
Well, we do have a lock down of sorts. We will be permitted to leave the house once a day with/without family members to exercise. We can leave to do essential food/medicine shop or to assist a dependent family member. Other than that the message is to stay at home at all times.

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
I'm sticking to schedule as usual. California is still continuing with remote learning for students and my kids are doing a variety assignments. I'm also maximizing all the food we have making sure nothing goes to waste. I'm baking, slow cooking, outdoor grilling, stir frying, etc. to keep meals interesting. One of my buddy's is already going through his ration pile of SPAM! I'm definitely going to hold off eating canned food as a last resort while I can still get fresh vegetables and other ingredients. :D

I've also ramped up safety precautions with more protective gear when making supply runs. If I had a hazmat suit, I'd be fully suited it up! I've been disinfecting all door handles and surfaces and separating my indoor and outdoor clothes. I'm also preserving my stock of masks by disinfecting and throwing them in the dryer to kill any potential contamination with heat. Also since my allergies are starting perk up with spring, I've been keeping on my 3M anti-fog safety glasses to avoid rubbing my eyes. I'm making sure my whole family keeps their fingernails trimmed as a precautionary measure. I'm also trying to keep my fitness up as well. In times like this, I don't see getting fat and lethargic as an option. There are a few Youtube videos regarding prison-style workouts while in confinement!

In terms of entertainment, I'm skipping any and all movies regarding end-of-the-world scenarios! I've finally gotten around to watching Star Trek: Picard and I'm just waiting for the season finale to air! :)

What I find amazing though is that perhaps in the first time in history all of humanity is sharing a singular global event and we're all on the same page. I hope greater minds prevail and we come out of this a little wiser and compassionate towards our fellow human.

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Jun 20, 2012
Hood River, OR
Kyle
We’re in a smallish town in Oregon, about 8,000 people. Just had our first confirmed case in town happen yesterday. My daughter came down with a fever, sore throat, and cough over a week ago, which caused us a lot of anxiety waiting for all the tests to come back. We finally got the All Clear on COVID this weekend, Sunday. Relief, on the one hand, because we could’ve been spreading it unknowingly for a while before we saw that she was sick. But then, if she HAD contracted it, we would eventually get well and be immune, which would mean we could help others more safely. But mostly relief.

We’re coping well enough. I work at a food manufacturer, so we are not only still open, our orders are going way up. We’ve got a lot of new safeguards to space employees out in production, we stagger the shifts so they don’t overlap, breaks are staggered, and there’s a lot of cleaning going on (there always was, but more so now). I feel incredibly lucky to have a job – so many of our friends work in food service or brewing, and it’s hitting them hard. Also, so many people here ignored the Social Distancing orders and crowded the beaches, and the Gorge (where I live, lots of touristy waterfalls and such) that the governor clamped down and ordered Stay At Home, like other states.

Mostly I am working from home, playing a lot more guitar, and working on projects in the yard.

Latest threads

Top Bottom