Coronavirus 2020 🤧

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Well, we do have a lock down of sorts. We will be permitted to leave the house once a day with/without family members to exercise. We can leave to do essential food/medicine shop or to assist a dependent family member. Other than that the message is to stay at home at all times.
Here, no groups of more than five people may gather; and even if fewer than five people are in a group, they have to maintain a safety distance of at least two meters between all members of the group or risk a heavy fine when spotted by police patrols; could get tricky when - as I witnessed yesterday - two couples are meeting outside; each couple kept close together, but quite far enough away from the other couple ...

Anyway, it's already getting rough for some. Cabin fever is already on the rise among my collegues and friends; they're doing their best to tackle it, but some are starting to suffer; and we're not yet two weeks in. I'm just very tired because remote schooling is a lot less rewarding than actual teaching in classrooms, but I'm doing well otherwise.

What I find peculiar and somewhat insane is that the people we're trying to protect the most are among the two groups most likely *not* to follow the rules and recommendations. Today, I had to literally jog to get out of the way of an elderly lady who actually drew ever closer in spite of having loads of space to avoid me; I, on the other hand, had already stepped back to let her through and thus was standing with my right shoulder against a dry stone wall. She was in a group of three who - purposefully, or so it seemed - used the whole width of the single track road we were about to pass each other on, making it virtually impossible for me to give way or step around them; I would have had to pass one of them at close distance. So I doubled back and walked a few steps up a small side track a bit further down. They gave me funny looks ... Heck, maybe I should have tried a fit of heavy coughing instead ... But I'm trying not to turn cruel, even if things like that really get my blood boiling.

The other group - still are some of the young people. You find signs of outdoor parties everywhere (littering, overflowing dustbins). At the same time, two of my students who've been together for years have now been forbidden to meet each other - because his father is in a high-risk group (lung disease of some kind) ... Doesn't exactly make me look more kindly on the unruly ones ...

M.

My coastal town just issued an order for "visitors" (out of towners, tourists - yeah, there are actually a ton of WA and CA folks around lately, no doubt due to the formerly stricter measures in those states) to evacuate within 24 hours. Apparently there have been a lot of reports of our small grocery stores being further cleaned out by people with out of state license plates. Now hotels and vacation rentals are all directed to close, except for lodging essential and health care workers and long-termers over 30 days.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
Nice app they're using; with Microsoft Teams, you're only able to see four participants at once, even on the largest of screens. It would be nice if you could "tile in" a class of 24 ... (16 would be much better already). What is it? Zoom?

M.
Might have to get back to you on that Matt, Teams is something that's been hoisted on us at work, having been told just to work it out for ourselves.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Might have to get back to you on that Matt, Teams is something that's been hoisted on us at work, having been told just to work it out for ourselves.
Shoot me a question whenever you want (though maybe better in a different thread or private message) - but I'm at it for only a week or so; learning fast out of necessity, and learning a lot, but I'm not an expert at all. It's doable, though - if (and only if) server's hold up. It's not as bad as I thought at first - some things *are* customisable to my taste.

But it's a strange mix - halfway between productivity friendly and "social media like" simple, with all downsides that entails. An example: Don't even think of using the Enter key to structure your longer "posts" as usual - it'll act as "Send" in Teams and Chat. Use Shift+Enter or first click "Format" to get a more fulsome experience. Once you have it down, it's straightforward, though.

M.

Last edited:

Matero

All-Pro
Jan 28, 2014
Helsinki, Finland
Nice app they're using; with Microsoft Teams, you're only able to see four participants at once, even on the largest of screens. It would be nice if you could "tile in" a class of 24 ... (16 would be much better already). What is it? Zoom?

M.
Seems to be Zoom. Way better experience compared to Teams and ancient Skype for Business. Especially when having large audience and many different platforms.

Directed my wife towards Zoom from Google Hangouts, which was a disastrous for their company (at least with the subscription they have)

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Seems to be Zoom. Way better experience compared to Teams and ancient Skype for Business. Especially when having large audience and many different platforms.

Directed my wife towards Zoom from Google Hangouts, which was a disastrous for their company (at least with the subscription they have)
I doubt they'll let us use Zoom - the apps we use is about the last thing they can control :rolleyes: The funny thing is that those who decide what we have to use don't have to use it on a daily basis. Well, I'll shrug it off - Teams is good enough for me, and alas, Zoom's "free for education" policy doesn't seem to extend to us, either. I've used Zoom and found it very useful - but for small groups, not miles ahead of Teams. But YMMV - this is stuff for me to explore on another day; I'm busy organising my daily routine as it is.

M.

BrianS

Hall of Famer
Apr 3, 2013
I have more Keyboards setup at home than Keith Emerson...

The WIN10 network connected machine plays 80's Alt while I do real work on DOS.
I love making a living using a skill set that is 25 years out of date. Like Yoda using a light saber. He's a little bit older.

On the bright side- the grocery stores are not crowded like they were last week, food is plenty, and I told the family to use TP like they would never see another roll in their lives.
I suspect within a week that will be easy to find as well.

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Virtual piano lessons! Apparently all the kids dropped out of my son's group class after quarantine or the parents haven't bothered to login while still paying tuition? It works out though, since we're paying group lesson prices while receiving private lesson instruction! :D Next week I'll have to setup a better overhead camera setup to get all the keys. The teacher is using her phone gaffer taped to a mic stand. So I'll have to see what I have available in my studio lighting equipment that I can jury rig!

On a side thought, the more we stay in quarantine, the more I realize were living through a historical event (despite not being a pleasant one). As photographers it might be important to to document this time with family, plus it helps get our creative juices flowing. Plus I'm really happy I was able to purchase a dirt cheap ultra wide angle for these interior shots, though it wasn't exactly what I intended to use it for! ;)

virtual_piano_big.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
The Proton mob (protonmail, protonVPN) say that Zoom is not particularly secure. They recommend Signal, but I dont know how suitable that would be for a class of kiddies.
I don't think I would use Zoom for any type of corporate conferencing! Also if a hacker were to hack a Zoom chat with EDU, I don't think there's much info to gather listening to kids talk about their cat scratching their favorite toy or something similar! :D

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
don't think there's much info to extract listening to kids talk about their cat scratching their favorite toy!
Of course not, but who knows if the hack would be restricted to just listening. I suspect if thats all it was, no self respecting hacker would bother. There would have to be something else they could do. But, having said that, I have no idea what.

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Of course not, but who knows if the hack would be restricted to just listening. I suspect if thats all it was, no self respecting hacker would bother. There would have to be something else they could do. But, having said that, I have no idea what.
I found this article which details the vulnerabilities:
Using Zoom? Here are the privacy issues you need to be aware of - Security Boulevard

I also sent a memo to all the teachers and parents to keep their software up-to-date!

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City

M.
Yes, Zoom. I've also used it for my job.

I'm not terribly worried about security with a 4th grade class doing lessons. The app is stable and works well. The kids mastered it in a matter of minutes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom