Coronavirus 2020 🤧

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I'm pretty much doing what I was doing before the pandemic: working in the shop, watching instructional videos, playing music, skipping out for the occasional bike ride. I have also added post-op nurse as my wife recuperates from hip replacement surgery two weeks ago today. We're being extra careful about exposing her to potential infection. It's not an easy decision, but we've decided not to allow grandchildren to visit until she is fully recovered. She is healing well and walking very well, but you never know.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
At least 30 minutes a day
It's super-ironic, but if I miss something at the moment, it's the time and stamina to read ... I'm online so much (due to school duties) that I often feel so worn out in the evening that I'm not capable of longer periods of reading; besides, I *have* to read to prepare literature classes, so if I do read, I do it for that purpose. That's one aspect I'll really like about the upcoming Easter holidays. Other than that, I dread most things, though. Isolation will make itself felt even more then ...

M.

Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
I've just been to the local supermarket for the first time since the "lockdown". Queued for twenty minutes to get in. Everybody basically kept 2 parking spaces apart. When I got to the head of the queue I learned that they were only allowing 35 people in at a time. There were stocks of everything except, bizarrely, eggs (it's not as if you can switch off a chicken...)

All was well, with everybody keeping a polite distance, until I got to the checkout. I left a conveyor-length of distance between me and the woman in front. As soon as I loaded my stuff onto the counter, however, a chap turned up behind me and immediately stood close, offloading his shopping immediately behind my own.

A conversation ensued.

"You aren't from around here, are you?"

"What?? Yes, of course I am! I only live a mile away!"

"No, I meant Earth... Kindly back off..."

I was backed up by the lady on the till who told him in stentorian terms to do the same.

Whilst in there, I noticed an unintended consequence. A couple of elderly ladies had to be asked - very politely - to leave once they had finished their shopping. They were desperate to talk - to the staff on the checkouts, to the supervisory staff who came over to encourage them to leave so others could come in, to anybody.

Please remember that social isolation may just be an inconvenience to you but is a life-threatening challenge to others. There is not the slightest doubt that it is necessary, and that it slows the spread of the Coronavirus, but at a cost. If you can, if you have a moment, a telephone, a conscience, PLEASE volunteer to help by talking and above all listening to the lonely. It costs you nothing, there are lots of local and national charities and local authorities that are organising and co-ordinating volunteers - and you could just save a life.

It's super-ironic, but if I miss something at the moment, it's the time and stamina to read ... I'm online so much (due to school duties) that I often feel so worn out in the evening that I'm not capable of longer periods of reading; besides, I *have* to read to prepare literature classes, so if I do read, I do it for that purpose. That's one aspect I'll really like about the upcoming Easter holidays. Other than that, I dread most things, though. Isolation will make itself felt even more then ...

M.
Audiobooks are good!

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Audiobooks are good!
Thanks for that, and yes, they are. But I *love* reading, the act of. Anyhow, not a big deal on the whole, it'll be possible soon enough. Reading for me is a symbol of relaxing - just having time to turn the pages ... And in spite of really digging the e-reader for travel, I still prefer the book experience. Call me old-fashioned, I don't care.

That said, at the moment, with free unlimited mobile internet, Audible sounds like a whole lot of simple fun. As soon as I'm back on two wheels, I might as well combine two forms of leisure ...

M.

Richard

Top Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
Today I have ... cut the grass, tidied up the shed, fixed the ironing board, fixed that annoying loose panel at the back of the car, been part of a rescue when the old lady next door fell over, helped my girlfriend to dig over the compost heap, sorted out my boxes of nuts and bolts, put the bins out, brought them back in again (unemptied) and sat in the garden with a mug of tea. I hadn't intended to do any of those things when I woke up, they just sort of happened.

-R

donlaw

Hall of Famer
Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Don
Working from home rather than traveling is a big change for me.
So far it is ok. Trips to get essentials are frustrating. So far it has been 10 days since I have found a lysol wipe, lysol itself, alcohol, aloe, hand sanitizers, etc... We keep trying and it is frustrating. We have plenty of food, and regular cleaners.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
Pennsylvania, USA
Well, the local Amazon warehouses are now shipping only "essentials". Just order ed a few things, like an extra power supply for my personal laptop and some printer ink for my FIL, and the stuff coming directly from an Amazon WH are all delayed until at least April 23.

For those looking for books to read....

Be sure to check out "Project Gutenberg", it has grown to over 60K titles and going, all free. If you ever wanted to catch up on reading some of the old 'classics' (most Gutenberg titles are books that are now in the public domain after the copyrights have expired) then that's the place to head to.​
One of our sister sites has an old but ongoing thread with links to free titles. Some of the links point to Amazon and other places that may have been temporarily free but, if you're home with time and looking for stuff to read, poke around the thread and some stuff might catch your attention. The most recent book listed, "Tower Defender", is still on Amazon (it's on my tablet, just haven't had a chance to read it yet).​

Dec 31, 2013
Louisville, Ky
Audible is doing free content for kids up to 18 years of age.

Thanks for that, and yes, they are. But I *love* reading, the act of. Anyhow, not a big deal on the whole, it'll be possible soon enough. Reading for me is a symbol of relaxing - just having time to turn the pages ... And in spite of really digging the e-reader for travel, I still prefer the book experience. Call me old-fashioned, I don't care.

That said, at the moment, with free unlimited mobile internet, Audible sounds like a whole lot of simple fun. As soon as I'm back on two wheels, I might as well combine two forms of leisure ...

M.
I'm the same - we have a spare room in our current place, and we've turned it into a library (currently have about 600 physical books). Nothing beats reading a paper book. It has been a fundamental part of my psyche since childhood, where I was a homeschooled farm kid who was well-read from an early age. In the past decade or so of adulthood my reading tapered off massively, but I have been making a concerted effort to build it back up. Currently I'm rereading The Complete Sherlock Holmes, which stories I haven't read since I was a teenager. They are just as enjoyable now (in fact, the character of Sherlock Holmes was one I modeled myself after as a somewhat sheltered boy, reaching out towards the values of diligent logic and creative, unconventional thinking).

christilou

Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Frimley
Today on our way back from walking Little B in the local woods, we called in at our local small shop. For the first time we are now have staggered entry and are supervised. Floors are marked out with tape. I can't help feeling that it's all still too close. Managed to get some fresh fruit at last together with some milk and kitchen paper. Still no sight nor sound of eggs for some reason. The lady on the till sneezed ...... although she turned well away I felt as though I should try to hold my breath through the rest of the transaction, tricky! Left feeling really bad about going in at all :(. We're all going to develop OCD probably.

One of my friends just messaged me to say her young daughter (probably 25ish). has been stationed permanently on A & E now. She trained as a Doctor's Aid and was working in a hospital taking bloods etc. Now she has to work with no properly fitting mask and no scrubs at all.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
In bad times, I used to think "it can only get better".

Now I think daily....."it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better".

While I was watching the horrendous situation in New York and heard that their Mayor predicts the peak won't happen for another 2-3 weeks, I can only IMAGINE the horror. They are already using freezer semi-trucks to stack the dead bodies now.....what will be happening in 2-3 weeks?!?!

christilou

Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Frimley
In bad times, I used to think "it can only get better".

Now I think daily....."it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better".

While I was watching the horrendous situation in New York and heard that their Mayor predicts the peak won't happen for another 2-3 weeks, I can only IMAGINE the horror. They are already using freezer semi-trucks to stack the dead bodies now.....what will be happening in 2-3 weeks?!?!
My neighbour's daughter and her husband are living in Brooklyn. She has asthma anyway but they are just staying put. Her dad is a doctor, he's worried sick.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
and for as bad as NYC is, I think in the coming weeks, New Orleans will spiral out of control. I can only imagine how that virus could have spread through the throngs at Mardi Gras.....and then after that, we'll see a real sh**storm in Florida. The beaches were bad enough, but their governor clearly doesn't understand the science. And there are a lot of "at risk" people down there. There will be retirees stacked up like cord wood.....and it will all be on the governor's head. God help us all.

Last edited:

BrianS

Hall of Famer
Apr 3, 2013
I'm lucky to be able to get some useful work done at home. Told my boss I get bored, get playing with a problem, lose track of time. I also bought a "fanless" computer for $60 off Ebay - have it up and running extended DOS, put through a lot of paces.

For anyone interested in old games, or older software in general:

Is the hub for abandonware. I've pulled down copies of software that I bought in the past, but the media went bad or just got lost. Sometimes- just need an old version of development tool to make something compile and run correctly. BUT- they also have a lot of old games that people might remember. And they have Wordstar, Assembly, Fortran, and DOS. What else would anyone want?

Latest threads

Top Bottom