Coronavirus 2020 🤧

BrianS

Hall of Famer
Apr 3, 2013
Well that was easy- Norton gives it a clean scan, 7-zip unpacks it, and you can even run it in a DOS window under XP.

I still prefer Wordstar. I wrote a graphics program in Fortran in the 80s, and called Wordstar from Fortran to allow editing data files.

Even with MPLAB and others with integrated IDE's, I use Wordstar and have the IDE pull up the modified file. Wordstar allowed you to Hex patch and customize based on file extensions, so I have it customized for Fortran, Assembly, and C. I did that in 1990. Never had to change.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
I swear, whenever @BrianS starts typing it's like a foreign language to me. And for somoe reason, I keep reading anyways.....like maybe if I read enough gibberish, I may understand it.
I freely admit I was giggling over the mention of his working 5.25” floppy. 🤓 One time I found one cleaning my office and brought it to class. I handed it to one student and she fanned it a few times and said. “Huh, I thought it would be floppier”.

re-note

Regular
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
there was a warning yesterday by the Robert-Koch-Institute(Berlin)not to run corona parties.
I did not believe my eyes when I found this

Dear neighbours,
Since all clubs and bars will be closed this weekend due to Corona, we celebrate this Saturday at home.
If we get too loud, please let us know.
If you get bored in your four walls, feel free to drop by.
4th floor, left door!
Please do not come over if you are over 60 or under 18 if you feel feverish, sneeze or cough.
Attention:
please bring your own toilet paper. (computer translated)

Some people think this situation were in, is going to be rather profitable and paying income tax can be avoided easily.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
Some people need (psychologically) to literally expose themselves to the thing which is threatening them. For example, there are chicken pox parties where people get together with infected people and "get it over with", achieving immunity. They are less capable of dealing with the anxiety than the disease itself. The problem, of course, is that not all diseases work the same way. Even chicken pox can ultimately result in the far more serious case of shingles.

Last edited:

davidzvi

Top Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
Some people need (psychologically) to literally expose themselves to the thing which is threatening them. For example, there are chicken pox parties where people get together with infected people and "get it over with", achieving immunity. They are less capable to dealing with the anxiety than the disease itself. The problem, of course, is that not all diseases work the same way. Even chicken pox can ultimately result in the far more serious case of shingles.
Chicken pox parties were a thing I remember from childhood. But no, not all diseases work the same.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
I read, watch streaming TV/movies, and annoy the cat. I read a lot. I prefer dead tree books but there it is: dead trees. So I moved to ebooks about 20 years ago. I have a substantial collection, as well as public library access, and of course Gutenberg and other free sites. Here’s a few for those interested...

Cory Doctorow makes his free as a matter of course. He doesnt believe in DRM or being precious and grabby about profit.

Baen Books has had a free library for a very long time. They also sell books, but many are now on Amazon and Baen may or not get some profit from that

FreeReadFeed scrapes freebie listings from Amazon. It has a fairly decent filtering system so you can get what you want to read. You’ll need a Kindle or Kindle app for this.

Feedbooks has a decent public domain section. You can get all of them at Gutenberg, but on Feedbooks, you’ll find the presentation and formatting perhaps a bit better.

GalaxysEdge can be read online, or if you want to download, you can subscribe at a reasonable price. I dont read many short stories so I do online in browser when I get the urge. Sadly, Mike REsnick has passed away this year...

Then theres the Open Library at the Internet Archive

I could go on...

Last edited:

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
I've actually been pretty busy with my kids schoolwork, cooking and working/cleaning my house. I spent last night scanning 50 pages of school homework between two students. They're still assigning paper schoolwork for my youngest, while my eldest is transitioning to a mostly all-digital platform. Plus the sun is finally out after a good two weeks of rain. With no cars on the roads and businesses closed, LA is the most greenest and cleanest it's been in years!

I had recently picked up a Rokinon 14mm 2.8 AF lens for my Sony A7III a couple weeks ago for dirt cheap, but I haven't much opportunity to use it since I originally planned on using it for dense urban and architectural photos! My spring tree blossoms will have to do!

MPF09415.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Chicken pox parties were a thing I remember from childhood. But no, not all diseases work the same.
I remember kids would just come to school with chicken pox and no one cared about catching it, because it was like a rite-of-passage! Now I can't imagine the h**lish response parents would have if a student brought an infectious virus to school with the intent to spread it! :eek:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, Virginia
Steve
I've actually been pretty busy with my kids schoolwork, cooking and working/cleaning on my house. I spent last night scanning 50 pages of school homework between two students. They're still assigning paper schoolwork for my youngest, while my eldest is transitioning to a mostly all-digital platform. Plus the sun is finally out after a good two weeks of rain. With no cars on the roads and businesses closed, LA is the most greenest and cleanest it's been in years!

I had recently picked up a Rokinon 14mm 2.8 AF lens for my Sony A7III a couple weeks ago for dirt cheap, but I haven't much opportunity to use it since I originally planned on using it for dense urban and architectural photos! My spring tree blossoms will have to do!

View attachment 216529
I really like that shot. The elements go off in all directions and the colors pop.

Steve Noel

Rookie
Mar 27, 2020
Casey County, KY
Yep, I also have the "deadly duo", cardio-vascular disease, lunge issues, and diabetes as well. Trying to avoid as much contact as possible, by staying home, but, 2 grand daughters (that live with us) work, and so have to come and go. And at 73, I will be very much at risk, if I should get it. And, so would the wife. We are not panicky, but waiting on God, and His will. We are His, no matter what happens.

christilou

Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Frimley
It seems our leaders have now all come down with the virus. Makes me wonder how we will cope with our rudder less ship. Boris says he has mild symptoms ..... he looks terrible! Today is the last of our sunny weather. I wonder how we will cope when the inevitable rain comes. Up until now it's been rather holiday like to some degree.

Latest threads

Top Bottom