Coronavirus 2020 🤧

KillRamsey

Hall of Famer
Jun 20, 2012
Hood River, OR
Kyle
I'm lucky to be able to get some useful work done at home. Told my boss I get bored, get playing with a problem, lose track of time. I also bought a "fanless" computer for $60 off Ebay - have it up and running extended DOS, put through a lot of paces.

For anyone interested in old games, or older software in general:

Is the hub for abandonware. I've pulled down copies of software that I bought in the past, but the media went bad or just got lost. Sometimes- just need an old version of development tool to make something compile and run correctly. BUT- they also have a lot of old games that people might remember. And they have Wordstar, Assembly, Fortran, and DOS. What else would anyone want?
Oh man, they have the original Warcraft! Now if I could just run it...

pdurand

Top Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Coming back from India on March 19, I have to stay home in quarantine for one more week, and then stay in voluntary confinement until who knows. I think I will need a new thread, ''Seen while strolling...walking and wandering inside''. :biggrin:

agentlossing

Top Veteran
It seems our leaders have now all come down with the virus. Makes me wonder how we will cope with our rudder less ship. Boris says he has mild symptoms ..... he looks terrible! Today is the last of our sunny weather. I wonder how we will cope when the inevitable rain comes. Up until now it's been rather holiday like to some degree.
When has that fellow ever not looked kinda terrible? Our most recent crop of world leaders is kind of the ugly brigade #notPC

William Lewis

Regular
Feb 10, 2020
Hayward WI
William Lewis
And they have Wordstar, Assembly, Fortran, and DOS. What else would anyone want?
Back in the day, I learned Wordstar, dBase III & 123. When I finally got a decent job after getting back from the Army the first software I bought full up to replace a pirate copy was Wordstar. I still have the 3.5" disks for Wordstar 7.0d. Every system I have that can be made to run DOS in some fashion (usually DOSBox these days) has it, my copy of Medley Lisp and Steel Panthers (WWII tactical wargame) on it. There may well be other things I've found to play with (currently Aztec C & Turbo C, PC Lisp & etc) but those three are the reason for keeping DOS around for me.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
Let me know if you want my procedure for bringing up real-mode DOS on a Panasonic CF-53 I5 2.7GHz machine... It's very, very, very fast. Getting past the FAT-32 120GByte limit was a trick. The Panasonic has USB support in the BIOS, memory sticks, USB drives, etc- all come up as drives. Including my Sony USB Floppy drives.

Use Freedos FDISK to init the drive as FAT-32, then use WIN98 Format/s to format and make the drive bootable. 512GByte drives are big enough... All of my DOS code works, and the DOS extenders work. DOSbox has problems with running extended DOS programs. You can then put XP on the drive to make dual-bootable.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
Is there any resources to play abandonware DOS games on a Mac through an emulator? I wouldn't mind playing a bunch of old video games!
a quick search would reveal this, and many more sources of abandonware

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Coming back from India on March 19, I have to stay home in quarantine for one more week, and then stay in voluntary confinement until who knows. I think I will need a new thread, ''Seen while strolling...walking and wandering inside''. :biggrin:
While I still hope it won't come to that here, it's less and less likely that it will become necessary - because so many people don't get the situation, don't act sensibly. Social distancing isn't a thing among adolescence and young adults - yesterday, I was on my way back from my extend afternoon walk at nightfall, and I saw dozens of young people heading *out* - presumably to some kind of party in someone's home, the night was chilly and windy, I don't think they went to any outdoor meetings. So, still loads of vectors for the virus to exploit - because of the stubbornness, narrow-mindedness, gullibility and blant selfishness too many people exhibit. "I have nothing to fear, so I can do what I want" is still the baseline for too many (and it's not even true - they're at best just *less likely* to develop severe symptoms or die).

On the positive side, most of my own students (and their parents) are doing the right thing. So, you *can* negotiate with your kids, you don't have to let them pester you into submission and let them do stupid things because you don't want to hold out against them. But I guess many parents favour convenience over consequence ... not that I don't understand that to a point, but it's certainly not the right thing to do in this situation. We'll manage to "flatten the curve", as it were, but it'll take us a lot longer. More people will suffer, more will die ... Until everyone knows of a grave case in every age group, until everyone has to mourn a friend or relative. THEN they'll see sense. Too late to save the ones they helped expose to the virus.

I find all that infuriating and frustrating - but I can't do anything about it without exposing myself to tangible risks. So maybe it'd be better to be fatalistic about that - but as you can see, I'm very bad at fatalism.

All this may sound super-gloomy, and I apologise for that. But our society, especially we here in Switzerland, have taken security and prosperity for granted in a way that now comes back to haunt us. We're not used to restricting ourselves in any way. And we haven't taught our kids how to do that. Now we're seeing the results, and we have to put up with the seemingly untolerable because it's basically what our way of life is all about. Food for thought for sure ...

Anyhow, many, many people show their best sides and intiative in this crisis. I'll concentrate on that from now on; it'll take some re-orientation, but that's what's needed anyway. I may as well start with myself.

M.

wee-pics

Top Veteran
Sep 13, 2016
Germany
Walter
I share your feelings, Matt. But, as you said, not all people react in that way. We have place in our town where poor people can buy food supplies cheaply because supermarkets supply everything that's left in the evening or has reached date of expiry. We call it Tafelladen here in Germany. It's run by elderly people on a volontary basis. When it was closed down to prevent them from getting infected several youngsters from our Youth Town Council took over and have so secured the supplies for the really needy.

This - like the Fridays for Future kids - confirms my overall positive look on our young generation that I've gained during my years of teaching at high school (Gymnasium). The selfish egomaniacs are there, too, but they are a minority in our society. I've never seen so much spontaneous neighbourhood help (doing the shopping for the elderly, etc.) in my whole life than I've come across in the last week since total shut-down. This makes the present situation a bit easier to cope with.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
Should have gone to Sydney “through you go mate” they’d have said. Almost 3,000 people got off an infected cruise ship last week.

Last edited:

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I share your feelings, Matt. But, as you said, not all people react in that way. We have place in our town where poor people can buy food supplies cheaply because supermarkets supply everything that's left in the evening or has reached date of expiry. We call it Tafelladen here in Germany. It's run by elderly people on a volontary basis. When it was closed down to prevent them from getting infected several youngsters from our Youth Town Council took over and have so secured the supplies for the really needy.

This - like the Fridays for Future kids - confirms my overall positive look on our young generation that I've gained during my years of teaching at high school (Gymnasium). The selfish egomaniacs are there, too, but they are a minority in our society. I've never seen so much spontaneous neighbourhood help (doing the shopping for the elderly, etc.) in my whole life than I've come across in the last week since total shut-down. This makes the present situation a bit easier to cope with.
Walter, I think that prevailing attitude goes along with what I've been seeing in the news about Germany, specifically its low COVID infection rate. America is such a sprawling country with vast numbers of international travelers, so it was essentially impossible it wouldn't take hold over here. We certainly have our share of community-spirited people, but stories of vast throngs of beach partiers or the TikTok toilet licking challenge just lead me to shake my head.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt

You're right, of course. And since I am myself teaching high school (Kantonsschule = Gymnasium), I know exactly what you're talking about. And yes, it's much more worthwhile to appreciate all the kind things people are doing than concentrating on the bad stuff that'll never go away. I'll do my best to not let that stuff get me down any longer.

Here's Sean Tucker's take on this:

M.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Walter, I think that prevailing attitude goes along with what I've been seeing in the news about Germany, specifically its low COVID infection rate. America is such a sprawling country with vast numbers of international travelers, so it was essentially impossible it wouldn't take hold over here. We certainly have our share of community-spirited people, but stories of vast throngs of beach partiers or the TikTok toilet licking challenge just lead me to shake my head.
Tony, while I'm really not in favour of what your government has been doing so far, the stories I hear out of the U.S. and the many great community efforts, from people as well as officials locally, are no less uplifting and positive than whatever we see coming out of Europe. We all have our chance to learn and grow in this. And why shouldn't we?

M.

re-note

Regular
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
Walter and Matt, thanks for posting your positive views.
For me they appear quite idealistic, possibly due to the places you live in.
When I moved from the prosperous south to a lesser place in northern Germany I had to put up with a different layer of society. From high fashion to low fashion(phrase borrowed from Henry Fielding).
Kids ranking lowest in their school performances - out of doors I see them scratching their shardphones all day long.
Friday Kids, in common opinion around me, are supposed to represent nothing but a coming generation of slouchers.
For the harvest of early crop in Lower Saxony around me, I cannot see them flock there to do some decent basic work.
The farmers, that are unable to hire harvest workers from eastern Europe, are desperate to get somebody willing to help out and we all need the food.
Allow me to maintain a more sinister outlook, as there is a constant, and has been for years, unemployment of around ten percent, now on the rise of course. This tells in the behaviour of the contemporaries around me and it does not mean solidarity.
From an experience of an extended lifetime I know and like to hope there is going to come some change. I simply fear to think of what we will have to put up with in the future.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Walter and Matt, thanks for posting your positive views.
For me they appear quite idealistic, possibly due to the places you live in.
When I moved from the prosperous south to a lesser place in northern Germany I had to put up with a different layer of society. From high fashion to low fashion(phrase borrowed from Henry Fielding).
Kids ranking lowest in their school performances - out of doors I see them scratching their shardphones all day long.
Friday Kids, in common opinion around me, are supposed to represent nothing but a coming generation of slouchers.
For the harvest of early crop in Lower Saxony around me, I cannot see them flock there to do some decent basic work.
The farmers, that are unable to hire harvest workers from eastern Europe, are desperate to get somebody willing to help out and we all need the food.
Allow me to maintain a more sinister outlook, as there is a constant, and has been for years, unemployment of around ten percent, now on the rise of course. This tells in the behaviour of the contemporaries around me and it does not mean solidarity.
From an experience of an extended lifetime I know and like to hope there is going to come some change. I simply fear to think of what we will have to put up with in the future.
I can't say who'll be right, so I won't try to convince you of anything.

My point of view is simple: If I fear the worst, I can't do my best. If I'm too pessimistic about the outlook, I can't keep up my efforts to preserve our lifes and values. But that's my thing, and it's also a key part of my job. And to be honest, it is what comes naturally to me, even if I have been downcast and angry a lot in the last couple of weeks. So I'd better pull myself together and focus on the things I find relevant and important. The good things, not the nasty ones. If the latter happen to me, I'll not be unprepared, but I'll not go through life expecting the worst. It's not helpful.

M.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom