Coronavirus 2020 🤧

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
A bit of good news - the major supermarket I use has restarted limited home delivery service for 'priority' customers. I assume they included me based on my age - first time I've appreciated Big Brother snooping! Limited range and earliest delivery spot is 4 days away.
Our Walmart is 2 miles away. I just glove up and keep my distance when I go. It’s not bad at all because now everyone else is thinking the same way.

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
I went to the supermarket this morning. What I want to know is if there is a limit on the number of people allowed in supermarkets why the hell are COUPLES shopping together...?

re-note

Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
I can't say who'll be right, so I won't try to convince you of anything.

My point of view is simple: If I fear the worst, I can't do my best. If I'm too pessimistic about the outlook, I can't keep up my efforts to preserve our lifes and values. But that's my thing, and it's also a key part of my job. And to be honest, it is what comes naturally to me, even if I have been downcast and angry a lot in the last couple of weeks. So I'd better pull myself together and focus on the things I find relevant and important. The good things, not the nasty ones. If the latter happen to me, I'll not be unprepared, but I'll not go through life expecting the worst. It's not helpful.

M.
Did not want to scare you or anyone else or make it a question of right or wrong.
I wanted to give an unrefined glimpse of a reality that is around me, though I won´t let it pull me down.
When I look into an abyss I am not expected to jump into it, but find out how to circumvent it.
In contrast to all these apparently negativ developments I expect something good to evolve eventually, when people
hopefully learn to act in a way to not endanger the ones surrounding them.
Do not gather from my post that I am bent to advertise a depressive lifestyle. I never would have lasted till now.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
I went to the supermarket this morning. What I want to know is if there is a limit on the number of people allowed in supermarkets why the hell are COUPLES shopping together...?
They probably see themselves as four-legged single creatures ... But is that that wrong?

Our supermarkets do a head count, so if many couples are shopping, the wait gets longer. *shrug* I guess some things are just what they are ...

M.

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
I went to my local very small farm shop this morning, there's a fresh meat counter, counter for pies and pasties, checkout counter, cabinets for milk and drinks, table for bread and shelves for cakes. The rules are, only ONE family member, No children, card only transactions and only TWO customers in the shop at any one time. It can be done.
Barrie

pdurand

Top Veteran
Mar 17, 2016
Fortunately, here we can order online and the supermarket will deliver at our door within two days. We then can avoid proximity with other shoppers.

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Andrew
I’m not allowing my wife to go into certain stores by herself. There are too many people even now that do not think this is a big deal or worse, they think it is the end of the world and are willing to physically accost others to get something they think they deserve more than others.

my wife’s safety is paramount in more ways than many will know. So, when we go to the market, which is rare now, I go along.

sad it has to be that way, but I’m not taking chances with her safety.

Richard

All-Pro
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
I think Click + Collect may be the way forward for us. We can't get a regular home delivery slot now, and I consider a shop visit as a last resort at the moment, so Click + Collect may be the answer once the supermarkets gear up for it.

As I understand it, you just order online as per usual, and then pick up your shopping from outside the store at an agreed time. They bring it out to the car and off you go. Physical contact with staff members is minimal, and contact with one's fellow shoppers is zero.

-R

re-note

Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
I think Click + Collect may be the way forward for us. We can't get a regular home delivery slot now, and I consider a shop visit as a last resort at the moment, so Click + Collect may be the answer once the supermarkets gear up for it.

As I understand it, you just order online as per usual, and then pick up your shopping from outside the store at an agreed time. They bring it out to the car and off you go. Physical contact with staff members is minimal, and contact with one's fellow shoppers is zero.

-R
Wish you good luck.
At Bremen this does not work anymore. When I phoned the shops I was turned down by all of them.
They have no delivery service and they don´t provide a pick up service currently.
This left me with no choice but to apply for outside help from a social organisation. Wonder what they will tell me next week.
Medical treatment left my wife with an almost non existent immune system, which means I need to protect myself in order not to get infected and pass the virus on to her.
Except for food all the other things needed can be ordered by phone or e-mail and will be delivered in short time.

Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
I’m not allowing my wife to go into certain stores by herself. There are too many people even now that do not think this is a big deal or worse, they think it is the end of the world and are willing to physically accost others to get something they think they deserve more than others.

my wife’s safety is paramount in more ways than many will know. So, when we go to the market, which is rare now, I go along.

sad it has to be that way, but I’m not taking chances with her safety.
I don't have any power to control mine like that. :laugh1:
I got lucky, my wife actually HATES shopping, for ANYTHING. :eek: And since I started out in retail grocery, I've always done most of the grocery shopping anyway. I'm not she's actually been out of the house in 3-4 weeks, since our Temple said "no services". But we have a treadmill that we actually do use (and not to hang laundry).

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Andrew
lol. Mine is a very free spirit most of the time but she respects the specialized skills I possess in certain situations. We have an understanding that I can say 3 very special words and she just follows my lead.

there is a reciprocal situation there as well. I know when to shut up, listen and follow her lead.

that mutually earned respect is something that I cherish in our relationship.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
A bit of good news - the major supermarket I use has restarted limited home delivery service for 'priority' customers. I assume they included me based on my age - first time I've appreciated Big Brother snooping! Limited range and earliest delivery spot is 4 days away.
Ive been getting priority assistance from Woolies but had to make application. I love not having to troop round the supermarket and when this is all over, assuming I am still with it... Im going to keep doing it. but not for fresh veggies.

Click and collect has been stopped entirely, and shopping hours have been reduced at all supermarkets so that the staff have time to fill the online orders and the shelves. Also two of the majors have set up an hour in the morning which is elderly or pensioners only, and twwice a week theres a special time for health workers too. Not sure how that can possibly work, its between 7 and 8am and most health workers I know are already at work by then.

Last edited:

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Ten years ago a crack cleaning unit was sent to storage by a janitorial court for a mess they didn't commit. These cleaning supplies promptly escaped from a maximum-security closet to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by Costco hoarders, they survive as cleaners of fortune. If you have filthy surfaces... if no one else can clean... and if you can find them... maybe you can hire... The CLEAN-Team! :roflmao: :D

Say hello to my little friends!

Dec 31, 2013
Louisville, Ky

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom