Coronavirus 2020 🤧

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
Let's wait for the ambulance chasers to run ads "Did someone give you coronavirus? Did they get it because they broke the law! Why should you pay! Let Scrooge Attorney at Law represent you and get the Settlement you deserve!"

Graham Moore

Regular
Oct 15, 2018
Vancouver BC
Graham
While I was watching the horrendous situation in New York and heard that their Mayor predicts the peak won't happen for another 2-3 weeks, I can only IMAGINE the horror. They are already using freezer semi-trucks to stack the dead bodies now.....what will be happening in 2-3 weeks?!?!
I was one of the supervisors of a tabletop pandemic response exercise 10 or 12 years ago. The preferred method for storage of the predicted 8,000 dead was at indoor hockey rinks - massive cooling capacity, used the existing electrical grid and lots of floor space.

William Lewis

Regular
Feb 10, 2020
Hayward WI
William Lewis
Lux æterna luceat eis, Domine:

So I've just learned of the first probable victim that I personally knew. Gus was a Korean war veteran, profoundly injured by those years and yet still had the proverbial heart of gold, a deep love for God's natural creations, and a humorous mind that often caught me off guard.

A toast then: To Absent Friends.

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
I was one of the supervisors of a tabletop pandemic response exercise 10 or 12 years ago. The preferred method for storage of the predicted 8,000 dead was at indoor hockey rinks - massive cooling capacity, used the existing electrical grid and lots of floor space.
This has become reality in Spain:

"In Madrid, the focus of Spain’s outbreak, so many are dying that bodies are being placed in an Olympic-sized ice skating rink that has been converted into an emergency morgue."

Virus Knocks Thousands of Health Workers Out of Action in Europe

wee-pics

Top Veteran
Sep 13, 2016
Germany
Walter
Walter and Matt, thanks for posting your positive views.
For me they appear quite idealistic, possibly due to the places you live in.
When I moved from the prosperous south to a lesser place in northern Germany I had to put up with a different layer of society. From high fashion to low fashion(phrase borrowed from Henry Fielding).
Kids ranking lowest in their school performances - out of doors I see them scratching their shardphones all day long.
Friday Kids, in common opinion around me, are supposed to represent nothing but a coming generation of slouchers.
For the harvest of early crop in Lower Saxony around me, I cannot see them flock there to do some decent basic work.
The farmers, that are unable to hire harvest workers from eastern Europe, are desperate to get somebody willing to help out and we all need the food.
Allow me to maintain a more sinister outlook, as there is a constant, and has been for years, unemployment of around ten percent, now on the rise of course. This tells in the behaviour of the contemporaries around me and it does not mean solidarity.
From an experience of an extended lifetime I know and like to hope there is going to come some change. I simply fear to think of what we will have to put up with in the future.
Maybe having worked with young people all my life makes me see things a little different, Rolf.
I'm neither pessimist, nor optimist, I prefer being labelled realist. I see what happens around me, the egoistic selfishness of quite a lot of people of all ages. But I see also things happening I haven't seen people doing for decades (except for those who've always worked selflessly in welfare and church organizations. And this makes me realize that our society won't be the same after Corona is gone ... for the bad as for the good.

And I agree with you that every-day reality differs quite a lot wether you live in the "honeypot" or in run-down and forgotten areas (by investors of all kind). And this is the point where I agree with Matt: "If I fear the worst, I can't do my best. If I'm too pessimistic about the outlook, I can't keep up my efforts to preserve our lifes and values." We have worked all our lives to give this country a different shape than that of the generation before us. In many fields we couldn't change anything (the fields where big money and moguls decide), but in others we have reached a lot (imho): NGO peace and ecology movements and making our country a little more democratic than all generations before us had it.

So my position is quite clear: the mug to the right, with some of the second from the left and at times also of the third from left.

Attachments

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
There just are not enough expletives for this bunch of self-entitled wankers.

Families with young children, kids, adolescents, young adults. These are the worst perpetrators, and that's true here as well. The odd senior citizen doesn't help the picture, either.

The attitude among the younger people is: Well, it's said that it can't affect us that badly, so why bother? It's also fatal (and that's not a metaphor!) that people seem to still think that "kids are fine, they won't get it, they can't spread it" - in spite of the clear signs for the opposite of at least the latter notion being true.

Yesterday, I heard a dad explain to his son that they were perfectly safe because they weren't old enough or ill enough to die from it. Yet, some 15% to 20% of people contracting heavy cases, regardless of age, end up in hospital with severe breathing problems. That's not harmless, that's much worse than the flu.

There's worse. I even saw a family of six (three generations) referentially(!) walking Granddad (sorry for the irreferential picture, but it fits), surrounding him, talking to him, one of the adults, probably his son, leaning in to make himself heard, at half an arms length, if that. Should I have aked: "So you seriously want to kill him?"

Anyway, it's also clear from what I witness in term of social distancing that a majority of people have understood what's at stake. It's just annoying how many are still ignorant. They remain so at their own and others' peril. There's no helping the wilfully blind to see ...

As an important afterthought: It's up to us to keep on doing the right thing. But as much as we may want, we can't change the mind of the obstinate. Don't put yourself into extra danger by trying. Keep calm, keep conscious, stay safe.

M.

Last edited:

Djarum

All-Pro
Jul 10, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Jason
They probably see themselves as four-legged single creatures ... But is that that wrong?

Our supermarkets do a head count, so if many couples are shopping, the wait gets longer. *shrug* I guess some things are just what they are ...

M.
They aren't doing it right then. My wife sometimes shop together and we divide and conquer...takes half the time to get shopping done.

Here home improvement stores are forcing 100 in a store at a time

Djarum

All-Pro
Jul 10, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Jason
Families with young children, kids, adolescents, young adults. These are the worst perpetrators, and that's true here as well. The odd senior citizen doesn't help the picture, either.

The attitude among the younger people is: Well, it's said that it can't affect us that badly, so why bother? It's also fatal (and that's not a metaphor!) that people seem to still think that "kids are fine, they won't get it, they can't spread it" - in spite of the clear signs for the opposite of at least the latter notion being true.

Yesterday, I heard a dad explain to his son that they were perfectly safe because they weren't old enough or ill enough to die from it. Yet, some 15% to 20% of people contracting heavy cases, regardless of age, end up in hospital with severe breathing problems. That's not harmless, that's much worse than the flu.

There's worse. I even saw a family of six (three generations) referentially(!) walking Granddad (sorry for the irreferential picture, but it fits), surrounding him, talking to him, one of the adults, probably his son, leaning in to make himself heard, at half an arms length, if that. Should I have aked: "So you seriously want to kill him?"

Anyway, it's also clear from what I witness in term of social distancing that a majority of people have understood what's at stake. It's just annoying how many are still ignorant. They remain so at their own and others' peril. There's no helping the wilfully blind to see ...

As an important afterthought: It's up to us to keep on doing the right thing. But as much as we may want, we can't change the mind of the obstinate. Don't put yourself into extra danger by trying. Keep calm, keep conscious, stay safe.

M.
Where I live it seems that the 30 to 50 something's are taking it seriously. Many seniors here are not practicing social distancing. Many have the attitude that if they get it they do. They think that pretty soon something will take them out so they are going to just live how they want I guess.

Briar

All-Pro
Oct 27, 2010
Scotland
Karen
Re couples shopping together. I think the divide and conquer theory can work the other way too though. Say both have the infection but are not aware as not showing symptoms but are capable of passing it on. Rather than one person going into the shop with limited contact and opportunity to spread infection, you now have two potentially doubling the contact and so double the potential infection spread. This isn’t just about keeping yourself safe, it’s about keeping others safe too. Just now it’s just my husband that is doing the shopping. It doesn’t need the two of us.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
Re couples shopping together. I think the divide and conquer theory can work the other way too though. Say both have the infection but are not aware as not showing symptoms but are capable of passing it on. Rather than one person going into the shop with limited contact and opportunity to spread infection, you now have two potentially doubling the contact and so double the potential infection spread. This isn’t just about keeping yourself safe, it’s about keeping others safe too. Just now it’s just my husband that is doing the shopping. It doesn’t need the two of us.
My wife does the shopping on Tuesday mornings, when Walmart only allow those 60 and over to shop for an hour. I will go by myself sometimes if we forgot something. I think some couples go together not out of disregard for others but for mutual comfort in these difficult times. It is not reasonable but it is very human.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
I've been making a little graph just of the total cases, and new ones, in NSW. I can get a better idea of whats happening if I can see it...I guess I am a visual person after all. This is just for my home state. A friend of mine in Springfield Ohio was doing the same thing, its where I got the idea. I haven't yet worked out how to put the numbers for new on the left side of the graph. The last blue dot represents 1791 cases, actual testing is of about 92k people, from a population of millions.

screenshot_12.png

From this, I can see the numbers of new cases are beginning to slump. I really hope thats down to a reduction in actual cases, and not just an aberration because we don't have nearly enough testing kits.

donlaw

Hall of Famer
Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Don
I've been making a little graph just of the total cases, and new ones, in NSW. I can get a better idea of whats happening if I can see it...I guess I am a visual person after all. This is just for my home state. A friend of mine in Springfield Ohio was doing the same thing, its where I got the idea. I haven't yet worked out how to put the numbers for new on the left side of the graph. The last blue dot represents 1791 cases, actual testing is of about 92k people, from a population of millions.

View attachment 216718
From this, I can see the numbers of new cases are beginning to slump. I really hope thats down to a reduction in actual cases, and not just an aberration because we don't have nearly enough testing kits.
That matches the exponential curve we have been seeing around here. It is very disturbing.

One of my concerns is that with some families and large blocks if cities being in lockdown mode, they are in immediate contact with each other all day for weeks. This is a great way to spread a virus to all of your loved ones if one of those family members gets the virus. Let's not forget that Lockdown does not mean plenty of people still have to go to work to maintain the hospitals, stores, Government facilities etc. Both my wife and I are in what are considered critical jobs and still going to work.

I propose that this is one of the supposed reasons why areas like Italy and New York have been hit so hard. If you have it unknowingly and just spent two weeks in your house with all your family they are going to get it.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom