Coronavirus 2020 🤧

I've been making a little graph just of the total cases, and new ones, in NSW. I can get a better idea of whats happening if I can see it...I guess I am a visual person after all. This is just for my home state. A friend of mine in Springfield Ohio was doing the same thing, its where I got the idea. I haven't yet worked out how to put the numbers for new on the left side of the graph. The last blue dot represents 1791 cases, actual testing is of about 92k people, from a population of millions.

View attachment 216718
From this, I can see the numbers of new cases are beginning to slump. I really hope thats down to a reduction in actual cases, and not just an aberration because we don't have nearly enough testing kits.

This is a great resource.

Of particular note, I like to follow the total cases per million section. World wide we are holding at 90.8 cases per million and 4.3 deaths per million.

We all knew that this week and perhaps two more were going to be really rough as accurate testing and reporting was not going on outside of one or two counties.

Just keep all these things in perspective and enjoy the little things in life. I know myself as a person of faith, I have had hours of panic but prayer and the Holy Spirit have calmed me down.

That matches the exponential curve we have been seeing around here. It is very disturbing.
Try not to freak out. This virus has been with us for a while now. It is only now that we are worldwide getting actual data and testing. We as individuals and families can not change what is going on but we can find peace in these troubling times.

This past week and perhaps the next two are going to be rough as we are getting an actual look at what is going on.

Many experts are saying we have had this going on for months, but no one (outside of China) was labeling it. Hundreds of thousands may have already had the virus and are living on the other side.

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
I find the "Doughnut of Doom" a great tool for putting things into perspective. Here's a version (not of my making) which addresses the situation in which we currently find ourselves:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In short, you can drive yourself batshit-crazy fretting over things over which you have zero control, or you can focus your energies upon those things which you can influence.

I choose the latter...

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
This is a great resource.

Of particular note, I like to follow the total cases per million section. World wide we are holding at 90.8 cases per million and 4.3 deaths per million.

We all knew that this week and perhaps two more were going to be really rough as accurate testing and reporting was not going on outside of one or two counties.

Just keep all these things in perspective and enjoy the little things in life. I know myself as a person of faith, I have had hours of panic but prayer and the Holy Spirit have calmed me down.
I think it likely that every country has its own graph... I just made mine for y home state and plan to make one for my home region which is beginning to be hit hard. Worldometer didnt tell me what I wanted to know.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
I find the "Doughnut of Doom"
Love it!

In short, you can drive yourself batshit-crazy fretting over things over which you have zero control, or you can focus your energies upon those things which you can influence.

I choose the latter...
I have control of my environment, more or less. (no family but way behind in the cleaning and vaccing) but I’m a catastrophiser from way back so batshit crazy is me. I want to punch all the stupid people not complying with direction. In the face. hard.

Briar

All-Pro
Oct 27, 2010
Scotland
Karen
One of my concerns is that with some families and large blocks if cities being in lockdown mode, they are in immediate contact with each other all day for weeks. This is a great way to spread a virus to all of your loved ones if one of those family members gets the virus. Let's not forget that Lockdown does not mean plenty of people still have to go to work to maintain the hospitals, stores, Government facilities etc. Both my wife and I are in what are considered critical jobs and still going to work.

I propose that this is one of the supposed reasons why areas like Italy and New York have been hit so hard. If you have it unknowingly and just spent two weeks in your house with all your family they are going to get it.
There is a high risk you would get it in those circumstances but it’s not a done deal. I’ve worked 12+ hour shifts on wards during norovirus outbreaks and I’ve never caught it despite being in very close contact with infected patients and their body fluids. I don’t have immunity to it but I was meticulous about washing my hands and not touching my face. We can’t totally isolate ourselves from risk but we can take actions that do reduce the odds. Wash hands regularly, keep those hands away from your face ( I know that bit is hard), keep the home and surfaces clean and be mindful of any changes in your family member’s health. Isolate from each other as much as possible if infection is suspected.

When I was a nurse I was very rarely ill. Working now in a busy open plan office I pick up bugs more easily. Why? Because I don’t perceive the office as being as much of an infection risk as I did the ward so I don’t wash my hands as much as before and my hands, well, they always find some excuse to touch my face.

I just need to learn to treat everywhere, including my family home, as a potentially infectious environment and do the basic infection control measures to keep me and my family safe.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
I came across a word, new to me, that is useful during these strange times.
Kenopsia (noun) The eerie, forlorn atmosphere of a place that's usually bustling with people but is now abandoned and quiet.
And your new discovery has led me to a new one. I expect to spend many hours here in the coming weeks. I love obscure words.

There is a high risk you would get it in those circumstances but it’s not a done deal. I’ve worked 12+ hour shifts on wards during norovirus outbreaks and I’ve never caught it despite being in very close contact with infected patients and their body fluids. I don’t have immunity to it but I was meticulous about washing my hands and not touching my face. We can’t totally isolate ourselves from risk but we can take actions that do reduce the odds. Wash hands regularly, keep those hands away from your face ( I know that bit is hard), keep the home and surfaces clean and be mindful of any changes in your family member’s health. Isolate from each other as much as possible if infection is suspected.

When I was a nurse I was very rarely ill. Working now in a busy open plan office I pick up bugs more easily. Why? Because I don’t perceive the office as being as much of an infection risk as I did the ward so I don’t wash my hands as much as before and my hands, well, they always find some excuse to touch my face.

I just need to learn to treat everywhere, including my family home, as a potentially infectious environment and do the basic infection control measures to keep me and my family safe.

Just remember this stay at home and shut things down is NOT about stopping you from catching this virus. Every single one of us will at some point come in contact with the Virus, just like we do the Flu every single year.

What it is about is reducing the number of people exposed at once. The Health Care system in every country was unprepared for this all at once and needs to reset.

What many are starting to fear is that we will get the all-clear, go about your lives and those who have been hiding out will be newly exposed and start this all over again.

I am not trying to freak out. I do what I can to mitigate my exposure and live health. I am just a bit jealous of all those stuck and home and "Struggling" to stay busy.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Just remember this stay at home and shut things down is NOT about stopping you from catching this virus. Every single one of us will at some point come in contact with the Virus, just like we do the Flu every single year.

What it is about is reducing the number of people exposed at once. The Health Care system in every country was unprepared for this all at once and needs to reset.

What many are starting to fear is that we will get the all-clear, go about your lives and those who have been hiding out will be newly exposed and start this all over again.

I am not trying to freak out. I do what I can to mitigate my exposure and live health. I am just a bit jealous of all those stuck and home and "Struggling" to stay busy.
I personally don't doubt we'll all get exposed sooner or later - but the later, the more probable is the arrival of suitable medication, possibly even vaccination. That said, noone knows if we can actually hold out that long before we *have* to accept exposure (and infection) as a certainty.

The main thing remains unchanged, though: Don't *transmit* the disease if you can help it - minimise the risk for vulnerable people, and avoid a thorough breakdown of the health system.

We're slowing things down to buy time. Nothing more, nothing less. I do hope it's worthwhile - anyhow, if we *don't* try, things'll escalate even faster and we'll have to live with having lost control - and a much higher number of people.

We'll have to endure it, whatever happens.

M.

Apr 18, 2014
Boston Burbs
David
I'll add one, a little more humor never hurts. WARNING: Language, not "RAP" full of f-bombs, but a couple. @Amin Sabet (or other mods) feel free to delete if anyone complains. Chris Mann was on "The Voice" (a finalist?) and toured with the North American Tour of The Phantom of the Opera, in which he played the lead role of the Phantom. So the singing and composition are pretty good.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
My wife and I did something yesterday which previously I imagined I would never do: we used online ordering and delivery from our local big chain grocery. I was amazed when the order was placed they said we'd get it within 5 hours. And we did. On a Sunday. What is even more of a head-scratcher is the same service said if we place an order for pickup that it would take 3 days to be ready.

Richard

Top Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
My wife and I did something yesterday which previously I imagined I would never do: we used online ordering and delivery from our local big chain grocery. I was amazed when the order was placed they said we'd get it within 5 hours. And we did. On a Sunday. What is even more of a head-scratcher is the same service said if we place an order for pickup that it would take 3 days to be ready.
Do they deliver overseas ?

-R

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
Well, I’m set now. Fruit and Veg shop has gone to delivery, Supermarket is delivering (thats been very satisfactory except for the “fresh” veggies which were not), Pharmacy is delivering. REally, I dont need to leave the house. And like in the UK, we over 70s have now been told to stay at home no matter what. (except my car battery is going to die if it doesnt get a run, so I’ll go for a drive this morning before most people are about)

mnhoj

gee aahrr
Jan 27, 2012
Los Angeles
John
You're right, of course. And since I am myself teaching high school (Kantonsschule = Gymnasium), I know exactly what you're talking about. And yes, it's much more worthwhile to appreciate all the kind things people are doing than concentrating on the bad stuff that'll never go away. I'll do my best to not let that stuff get me down any longer.

Here's Sean Tucker's take on this:

M.
Finally got around to watching this.
I really like Sean Tucker.

Latest threads

Top Bottom