Coronavirus 2020 🤧

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Unfortunately, as the crisis lingers, some are beginning to show their thuggish sides. The county next door, the state's most populous, has closed all county parks due to large congregations of people. My county has closed its most popular park due to mass crowding and worse, people damaging gates and fences when they broke into closed and locked soccer fields. The police appeared several times to run crowds of people off the fields. The park where I like to go bike is somewhat more remote, but last time I was there, it was getting crowded when I left. One thing I really dislike about my country is the way people feel they have to vandalize parks when they congregate. During last year's government shutdown, several prominent national parks were seriously damaged when throngs of people congregated there, wantonly damaging things that cannot be fixed or replaced. And now we're seeing it in our local parks.

Rant off. I was just incensed when I read this morning's local news. I guess I'm in the minority with my belief that "leave it the way you found it" is the civilized way to live.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
While many of my circle of family & friends are home with no work till further notice I'm busier than I have been in years for work. First time in a long time I've pulled multiple all-nighters within the sae week.

Had a chance to browse my email today... could somebody please tell the UK government handling South Africa to do a better job of verifying emails? :) I've gotten several of these today, they appear to be legit emails sent from the fco.gov.uk servers so some anxious British citizens aren't getting their confirmations.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
Well... with time on hand for working all those computer projects that you put off...

I bought Wordstar 7 when it first came out, 1992 or so... could not believe how much they had changed it from Wordstar 6. For writing code, just no where near as good. Too much overhead on the screen, function keys all different- nothing in the right place. So- I kept with WS6. The advantage of WS7 is that it uses extended memory under DOS and Windows, meaning it is fast for big files.

Easier to download WS7 from vetusware.com than find my legit copy- did that. Then proceeded to hex dump and write a Fortran program to modify the executable code that defines the function keys and spend 8 hours going through the patcher to make it look as close Wordstar 6 that I have used for 30 years. SO- I can edit code and compile it directly on the embedded processors that I use. All running off an SD card. No flying cars, but I can run Wordstar 7 off an SD card in the 21st century.

That guy that wrote "Game of Thrones" is going to call someday- I'll send him a Panasonic CF-52 running DOS and Wordstar on a 512GByte drive.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I am quite grateful that we are not under a strict lockdown. Our governor has encouraged citizens to stay out of stores as much as possible, but our "stay at home" directive encourages us to get out and exercise - at a safe distance from others. I spent about 2 hours in the woods this morning. Half of that was bike riding, the other half was off the bike and taking photos of things that interested me. It's a splendid day here.

I am quite grateful that we are not under a strict lockdown. Our governor has encouraged citizens to stay out of stores as much as possible, but our "stay at home" directive encourages us to get out and exercise - at a safe distance from others. I spent about 2 hours in the woods this morning. Half of that was bike riding, the other half was off the bike and taking photos of things that interested me. It's a splendid day here.
Same here. Nightly walks around the neighborhood

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
Tony- good luck. Clorox, filtration masks, and disposable gloves are in short supply. My wife ordered masks online from Walmart- will be in next week, other items were out. I think supply will catch up, but might be a few weeks.

Report back on how you do, will be useful to know.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
For utilities (including yes, toilet paper), eBay seems to be ok. I've had to wait a couple of weeks, a lot of this stuff actually coming from China, but it all arrives in the end.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke

Latest threads

Top Bottom