Coronavirus 2020 🤧

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Tony- good luck. Clorox, filtration masks, and disposable gloves are in short supply. My wife ordered masks online from Walmart- will be in next week, other items were out. I think supply will catch up, but might be a few weeks.

Report back on how you do, will be useful to know.
I made it through OK Brian. There was a long line already when I arrived a few minutes before opening. It was a lot more frantic than the last time I was there. Some people were more or less running from aisle to aisle to get what they wanted. Some were quite rude and didn't seem to care about maintaining a safe distance. I knew if I allowed myself to get angry, I wouldn't like myself very much, so I just stepped back and took a deep breath and stayed silent. There was a really long line to check out, but for some reason, most weren't using the self-checkout lanes. I did. I was just glad to get out of there.

Biro

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
A lady with whom I work lost her husband last night. He was 44. This is the first person I personally knew. It is heartbreaking. Thus far the children at the hospital in which I work have not tested positive for the virus, so that is something positive.
I understand. They say eventually we will all personally know someone lost to COVID-19. My turn came last weekend when a friend and former CBS News colleague died at a hospital in New York. She was 54 and had underlying health issues. It doesn't make it any easier.

Jul 24, 2013
Memphis, TN
Brent
I understand. They say eventually we will all personally know someone lost to COVID-19. My turn came last weekend when a friend and former CBS News colleague died at a hospital in New York. She was 54 and had underlying health issues. It doesn't make it any easier.
This young man didn't have pre-existing conditions. The virus shut down his respiratory and renal functions. It's a bit of a mystery how it affects people in different ways. I pray there is a vaccine this time next year.

Biro

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
This young man didn't have pre-existing conditions. The virus shut down his respiratory and renal functions. It's a bit of a mystery how it affects people in different ways. I pray there is a vaccine this time next year.
From your lips to God's ears. If we're really lucky, we may have an effective treatment before we have a vaccine.

re-note

Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
When I enter a supermarket these days I start feeling unwell, so I visited the local market in the morning.
There were a few stalls offering the basic necessities and there was no crowd waiting and shuffling to get in.
Everybody behaved decently and kept at a distance. Here are my impressions.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
No one in the above pictures wearing face masks. After all the news- I looked for the ones that my wife bought for housecleaning, told her I would wear one going shopping on Monday. We are mostly working at home, Monday "O-Dark-Thirty" is my time to go into work to take care of some business. If things get worse- I'll probably have to skip even that.

This thing is scary. I have friends that are nurses- hospital described as going into a battle zone.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I saw a distinct difference between today and my last visit to the same store two weeks ago. Many people were more frantic, some clearly more scared, some more aggressive. It was even more packed this time at opening. I used to go to that store at 4 or 5 in the morning, and saw very few people beyond the stock crew. Since this COVID-19 mess began, they now close at midnight and reopen at 7. The poor lady trying to keep the checkout queue moving was polite and helpful, but she seemed frazzled already only an hour after opening. I do not look forward to going back there.

gryphon1911

All-Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Central Ohio, USA
Andrew
Here they are starting to encourage wearing masks and I have no idea where to get them as everywhere is out.
You don't need hospital grade ones.

I walk a lot in the outdoors, especially when it is cold outside. I got a few of the cold weather masks that also work for reducing dust.
To that end, most likely the local hardware stores should be a first place to look(lowes, home depot, menards, etc). Even a bandana or a neck gaiter that you can pull up around your nose/mouth should work.

I found a great alternative to rubber/latex/nitrile gloves as well.

These coated gloves can be washed and/or put hand sanitizer on them. I had a few pairs in my trunk from another event and just ordered another 10 pair. Cheap enough to be disposable if need be, but sturdy enough to last for a while.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
As of yesterday, Walmart.com had a 1 week lead time on face masks.

We had a couple of boxes of latex and "blue" gloves.

I would try using "Kim-Wipes" that we use in the Lab for a face mask. My coworker "accidentally destroyed" the filter in my machine shop vacuum cleaner, used it to clean up spilled water without removing it. I could not easily get a replacement- SO I used rubber bands and the Kim wipes to make a new filter for the vacuum cleaner. Worked well.

Biro

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2011
Jersey Shore
Steve
As of yesterday, Walmart.com had a 1 week lead time on face masks.

We had a couple of boxes of latex and "blue" gloves.
I also caught the week-away face masks. But the nitrile gloves are simply not available. Good thing my wife and I each have two pairs of Playtex rubber gloves. They're annoying to use but are washable.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
Here they are starting to encourage wearing masks and I have no idea where to get them as everywhere is out.
I placed an order for both some cloth masks and the typical 'surgical' style masks. Both had ship dates of April 9th and, at least as of today, I got shipping confirmations from both places. I did another shopping run today and experienced the same as others, that it's getting worse out there and people are devolving into 'fend for themselves' attitudes. Hopefully the masks will arrive before I need to do another run. Before our county descended into chaos I already had some disposable latex gloves from Costco so if I minimize my outings I should be good for a few weeks with them.

Surgical style masks from Amazon...

Cloth masks from High Seas Trading Company (they normally make "Hawaiian" style shirts but are using their resources to offer masks as well)...

It is a bit astounding the number of people who are out & about acting like nothing is going on and life is normal. It isn't, our county is the epicenter of the pandemic for PA. Some of these people are now in the stores openly & loudly mocking those who are wearing gloves and masks and saying that they aren't worried about catching it because it's all just, and I quote one individual in particular from this afternoon, "liberal **** from the Democrats because they lost and are going to lose again.". I couldn't take it anymore and left a few things off the shopping list, unfortunately it was still a 30 minute wait at the self-checkout registers.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
Hey @Djarum ,
Watch this video from the surgeon general. No need to get some fancy, over-priced masks from Amazon.

I'm going to make 7 tomorrow from some tired old t-shirts that need to be retired....then I can just throw them in the wash.

And I will just add that I saw some "chippyness" a week ago or so locally, but it has nearly vanished here. And toilet paper is showing up...I think some people in areas further from bigger metropolitan areas are just experiencing a ripple effect. When you get to any store you need to get to, get whatever you need for a two weeks if you can...other things (like produce) that only last a week.....you may need to go out again in a week....but after a week.....you'll see everhyone is more accustomed to the limited freedoms and minimized personal space and the general inconvenience of daily life in this new order. And people will start acting less psychotic.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
Watch this video from the surgeon general. No need to get some fancy, over-priced masks from Amazon.
Yep, they key thing with the masks is not to prevent you from getting infected but rather to help prevent you from infecting others if you are an asymptomatic carrier. As somebody on the news mentioned tonight, I'll wear a mask to help you and you'll wear a mask to help me.

In my case I ordered the two different kinds of masks because I'll use the cloth ones for me when I need to go out but the surgical style disposable masks (if they show up) will be given to family members who both work at retail grocery stores and have not been given any gear from their employers. Fortunately both of them work for chains where they've been trying to at least take some actions to protect their customers & employees from spreading it unlike some of the other local grocery stores that have done absolutely nothing. If the disposable masks don't show up then they'll be getting some cloth ones as well at a minimum.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
I read an article online today that mentioned a test done on 60 health care workers from Italy that had NEVER displayed symptoms...... 40 of them had antibodies in their blood. They had the virus already?!?! If 2/3 of people who never show the disease can be transmitters.....well now I know how it's "so contagious".

I'm no scientist, but that tells me that "viral load" plays a large role in the severity of the illness. So just , do everything you can to mitigate your exposure...any mask in better than none.....even pulling up your collar to cover your face when checking out somewhere would be better than no mask.

I really wish I believed in prayer....it would make it all a lot easier.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
I'm no scientist, but that tells me that "viral load" plays a large role in the severity of the illness. So just , do everything you can to mitigate your exposure...any mask in better than none.....even pulling up your collar to cover your face when checking out somewhere would be better than no mask.
Trouble is, that's only true if everyone wears them. Protecting others is all good and well - as long as you're not the one getting infected exhalation on your mask. If masks get mandatory, I'd be happy to wear them - until then, I'll only do so if I myself feel under the weather or have other reasons to doubt my infection status.

I've already restricted my shopping to once a week (twice in an emergency), and that's basically where I get exposed and/or expose others. I move through our house with the utmost care, so as not to touch anything if I can avoid it. I wash my hands before going out and after coming back, several times. Before going out, I drink enough to prevent my throat from getting dry enough to want to cough; I use a tissue as well so as to avoid having to sneeze. I disinfect surfaces, especially those close to the door and in the hallway, several times after coming back from my shopping tour. I have different sets of clothes for going outside; they stay in the hallway at all times (even if I haven't used them to go to the store).

Okay, let's cover that mask thing.

Fact is, the surgical masks you see most frequently, let alone cloth ones, are not very effective at stopping any kind of virus, and they may even be hazardous:
  • We aren't used to wearing those masks, so tend to fiddle with them in an unappropriate way. Result: your hands in your face ...
    I saw a lady the other day (not much older than me, if that). She was obviously very afraid, in spite of wearing a surgical mask and nitril gloves. She was constantly and frantically trying to keep the mask from slipping down from over her nose (it was badly adjusted in the first place) and used her gloved hands to pull it up again - fingers on or close to her nose, and certainly on the rim of the mask, about once every few seconds ...
  • They don't seal very well. Small particles and droplets can get around them. Yet they can lead to a false sense of security and make you careless about social distancing - that's not a wise move.
  • Their filter pores are too large to stop the virus anyway. A Corona virus particle is about a sixth of the size of the average mask filter pore (and that's a lot narrower than any cotton cloth pore); of course, that's not true for the more sophisticated, specifically filtered masks worn by doctors and other health personnel. Still, even they do prefer or demand additional protection, like face shields, full body suits and safety eyewear.
  • Cloth masks in particular get moist quickly and stay that way for a long time. Very healthy environment - for a virus. And if you're already infected, you're parking a large quantity of virus particles right in front of your face, nourishing them with every additional cough. That's definitely no help in decreasing the virus load for yourself.
  • However: If you are already ill or infectious, not wearing a mask is tantamount to gravely endangering others - so it's better to do so when in doubt, but it's definitely not something you should do for any unnecessary length of time.
  • Masks certainly do help to a certain extend, especially if they're changed/washed/disinfected regularily. Cloth masks may not be as effective as surgical ones (let alone ones with filters), but they can be disinfected easily enough by boiling them. That's true for all suitable washable clothing you choose to use. Use them, come home, put them directly(!) into the washing machine (you have to have that machine open and waiting), wash hands, wash hands again, start machine - that way, it should actually work and help to protect you without additional exposure or hazards. But put the mask down somewhere first, and you may have created a potentially very infectious spot right within your home.
  • Throwing away used masks isn't a trivial thing either - you should actually dispose of them like you would for known biohazards. Who of us has the means to do that at home? So we should actually try to keep the number of discarded masks as low as possible ... I'd put each single one in dog-do bags (or similar) and disinfect the outside of those before putting them in the bin.
So, do whatever you see fit (or have to do), but stay aware of the limitations and issues, and acknowledge that they're pretty severe.

Here's a helpful summary (in German, but we live in an age of machine translation; I'll help if you need any explanations or better translations):

I have some surgical masks around from an unpleasant time in the past. The box explicitly states: Change at least all two to three hours, dispose of safely ... If wearing masks becomes mandatory (which I'd welcome), I'll use those, and of course, I'll keep a very close eye on my own state of health. But social distancing (and adhering to all the other precautions - "hand security" is the most important cluster here) will still be key.

M.

Last edited:

re-note

Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
by now it is well known how effective simple face masks are
I wear one when I enter a walled space and take it off when outside again, as it is a nuisance when it turns moist and my glasses fog.
This is an example of a homemade mask. Under the visible cloth is a another mask hidden that is used by hospital staff.
The image of the cow puzzles people and most of them shy away from me and this is perfectly up to my intention

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom