Coronavirus 2020 🤧

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
Going back to the discussion in this thread about using Zoom video conferencing.

My kid's school as well as the company I work for have both just banned the use of Zoom.

I think it is over-reaction and scare-mongering, but it is what it is. Neither school or my company has come up with an alternative as yet. So online school classes will be halted next week.

Not fair for the kids. Spending some online time with their class friends every day was a big highlight of the day and broke up the monotony of staying at home cooped up in the apartment.

By the way, the situation in NYC is getting grim. I'm trying to keep my anxiety in check and not scare the kids, but this is really a bad situation. I only go out to shop once a week, I also use online food delivery.

My company has a Hong Kong office and they were able to ship me a supply of masks. I believe the masks make a difference preventing infection, as does all the data from Asia. I wear a mask, cover my eyes with large glasses, and wear rubber gloves when I go shopping, no exception.

I have a spray bottle of Steramine solution and I disinfect everything when I get home.

Last edited:

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Going back to the discussion in this thread about using Zoom video conferencing.

My kid's school as well as the company I work for have both just banned the use of Zoom.

I think it is over-reaction and scare-mongering, but it is what it is. Neither school or my company has come up with an alternative as yet. So online school classes will be halted next week.

Not fair for the kids. Spending some online time with their class friends even day was a big highlight of the say and broke up the monotony of staying at home cooped up in the apartment.

By the way, the situation in NYC is getting grim. I'm trying to keep my anxiety in check and not scare the kids, but this is really a bad situation.
You can ask them if they have access to Teams (Microsoft). Not that I find it any better than Zoom, quite the contrary, but it's common around institutions, and it works.

M.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I was at a meeting with my Laptop when someone told me their Laptop was more secure than mine.
They booted Linux, and their machine is used on a network.
Mine boots DOS, and I pulled the WiFi/Wireless cards out of it. Everything that goes on it is air-gapped from a computer with an up-to-date virus scanner.

Eventually- you can find a vulnerability in most any piece of software. Tell the school to start sending home assignments on floppy disks that had the write-protect tab taken out, that will be safe.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I think the NYC Department of Education is just having a knee-jerk reaction to the news media.

One or two reports of somebody breaking into a Zoom session and "mooning" them, or some other silly antic.

Personally, I've used Zoom for years with no problems, and I don't see any big threat.

We are all worried about actual survival and they concern themselves with this sort of nonsense.

Last edited:

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
I was at a meeting with my Laptop when someone told me there Laptop was more secure than mine.
They booted Linux, and their machine is used on a network.
Mine boots DOS, and I pulled the WiFi/Wireless cards out of it. Everything that goes on it is air-gapped from a computer with an up-to-date virus scanner.

Eventually- you can find a vulnerability in most any piece of software. Tell the school to start sending home assignments on floppy disks that had the write-protect tab taken out, that will be safe.
You know, you're actually spot on with this. The problem with many "IT" departments is that the IT people there are few and far between. At least that's what I have experienced in the last 15 years or so. The others are just working by some kind of script they don't really understand. And those scare easily ... as well as those among their superiors that are only administrators (I don't mean that in the "root/admin" sense of the word). Again, that's the vast majority. It's irritating at best ...

@M. Valdemar's story confirms this in my view.

M.

Hanging out this week with the kid. Staying positive and staying busy.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Quarantine hasn't been too bad. I've spent the last two days spring cleaning and deep cleaning my house and backyard. I have a wall garden that's been neglected, so I'm thinking of replanting it. Not sure what to plant though? I'm thinking of just planting a bunch of succulents, since they're low maintenance or maybe just fake grass! i joked with my wife we should just grow a wall of marijuana, but she gave me the stink eye! :p I also plan to revarnish my wood fence which I was planning to do last summer. Unfortunately I had to put my lawn service on hold in order to save some money, but I have a manual grass cutter that I can use to cut my grass and maybe use to workout with! After that, I'll probably deep clean and detail my cars! After this quarantine is over, my house will be spotless! Lol

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I have to go downstairs in my NYC high rise building every few days to get a package or delivery. I'm on a high floor, more than 20 stories up.

I put on mask, gloves, carry disinfectant, even spray the buttons and door handles.

I have gotten into several arguments with clueless millennials who try to crowd into the elevator. LIKE SOMETIMES THREE OR FOUR OF THEM (or more). They have their f---king dogs, WATER BOTTLES THAT THEY DRINK IN THE ELEVATOR, jogging outfits (covered in sweat and panting from jogging), gym clothes (they are going to the GYM), NO MASKS, NO GLOVES, the whole shebang.

I loudly say "DON'T GET IN THE ELEVATOR WITH ME PLEASE, I'M OVER 60 AND YOU DON'T HAVE A MASK, DON'T CROWD!"

Most of them will get out. If they don't, I exit and wait for the next one.

Moronic idiots. I'm sure they think I'm a major asshole, but I could care less what they think of me. Maybe they'll think about it when they're choking and suffocating in the hospital.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
by now it is well known how effective simple face masks are...
I don't want to get into a debate about this, but I can't let that generalisation stand. No, it is not well known at all, quite the contrary. Masks are a minefield. They engender a false sense of security and can cause more problems than they solve. Most people are inept at putting on masks and more importantly, removing them safely. They wear them for too long and ignore basic hygiene. Above all, they touch and fiddle with them. There is some evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by non clinical staff who actually have the Coronavirus helps them not to spread it further, but not vice versa.

Distance. Isolation. Hygiene. It really is that simple.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I won't debate it past this post, but my company has large offices in Asia, including China, Vietnam and Japan. EVERYONE is wearing a mask. Every single Asian government endorses wearing masks. Most require it. Dozens of studies show masks effective.

Countries like China who have managed to stop the spread of the virus all mandate masks for the whole population.

It's your choice, I believe in distance, isolation, washing hands and hygiene, but I also insist on a mask. Everyone is free to differ,

Last edited:

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
My whole family is masked up. I don't care if we look like a bunch of ninjas! I did some landscaping today and finally got around to cutting down a parasitic tree that was reeking havoc on one my other trees. I sawed off a bunch of the excess branches and made them into "social distancing" sticks for my kids! It's their spring break, so I need to keep them occupied with whatever I can come up with! :D My next project will be painting the fence! ;)

91410915_10157025819037327_2649362190129168384_o.jpg

Last edited:

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/asia-face-mask-obsession/amp/

I'm not taking this beyond this post, but this is worth a read, as are many similar articles on the matter, dating back years, to well before the current outbreak.

Ultimately it is your choice, in your circumstances. I was simply taking issue with the generalisation that something is "well known" when it is in fact open to interpretation and debate and has it's roots in events over a century ago.

Richard

All-Pro
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
I have a wall garden that's been neglected, so I'm thinking of replanting it. Not sure what to plant though? I'm thinking of just planting a bunch of succulents, since they're low maintenance or maybe just fake grass!
Is it possible to grow things that you can eat? I don't know what kind of climate you have, but I assume Los Angeles is generally warm or hot and that you could grow tomatoes and peppers and suchlike. Those are attractive plants to look at too, but they will need some care and attention (so not low maintenance). A general rule in gardening is to take a look at what is doing well in your neighbours' gardens and learn from it, because you can do the same with your soil and local climate.

The more we can grow at home the less we need to go out for food, which is important right now. Plus the things you grow yourself tend to taste better, and you know what's been sprayed on them (!)

-R

Last edited:

Djarum

All-Pro
Jul 10, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Jason
Hey @Djarum ,
Watch this video from the surgeon general. No need to get some fancy, over-priced masks from Amazon.

I'm going to make 7 tomorrow from some tired old t-shirts that need to be retired....then I can just throw them in the wash.

And I will just add that I saw some "chippyness" a week ago or so locally, but it has nearly vanished here. And toilet paper is showing up...I think some people in areas further from bigger metropolitan areas are just experiencing a ripple effect. When you get to any store you need to get to, get whatever you need for a two weeks if you can...other things (like produce) that only last a week.....you may need to go out again in a week....but after a week.....you'll see everhyone is more accustomed to the limited freedoms and minimized personal space and the general inconvenience of daily life in this new order. And people will start acting less psychotic.
I apologise but my question was a bit rhetorical.

I don't sew nor does my wife. The problem I have with this is that these suggestions should have been a month ago. I've been looking for even basic dust masks since the first of March for doing lawn work.

The intent was to slow down hoarding of masks and getting them to the medical professionals. The only problem with that plan is preventing transmission is the first line of defense.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
Sam's Club is doing this right: walk in, all the employees have masks and gloves. One of the greeters tells everyone to take a cart at the front, they have all been wiped down. Check-out, lines started getting longer- opened checkouts with an employee directing the next person waiting in line to the newly opened checkout. Well stocked, including toilet paper. About 1/2 of the customers wearing masks and gloves, no one crowding anyone else. I was impressed by the efficiency and courtesy. Gas was $1.69 a gallon.

Safeway- not all the employees wearing masks, but cashier;s and those stocking shelves had them on. Also well stocked. No wait at the self-checkout lanes. I got off of work this morning, stopped by around 10am.

We're stocked- no need to go out for another 2 weeks. That's the plan.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom