Coronavirus 2020 🤧

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
I don't understand the fascination of making vegan items that approximate meat choices (can't we just enjoy a fruit or vegetable for what it is?!), but maybe @Kevin can try out this banana peel "bacon" recipe and report back.

Briar

All-Pro
Oct 27, 2010
Scotland
Karen
I don't understand the fascination of making vegan items that approximate meat choices (can't we just enjoy a fruit or vegetable for what it is?!), but maybe @Kevin can try out this banana peel "bacon" recipe and report back.

I miss the taste of burgers but I don’t want an animal to die just so I can experience that taste/texture again. If manufacturers can produce a plant based burger alternative that ticks those tasty boxes and that stops me going back to eating meat then I think it’s a win win situation. Yes, eat more fruit and veg but even vegans and vegetarians want some tasty junk food once in a while.

I’m just amazed you can cook and eat a banana skin. Who knew? Of course none of us can buy bananas as Kevin has gone out and bought them all!!!

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Is it possible to grow things that you can eat? I don't know what kind of climate you have, but I assume Los Angeles is generally warm or hot and that you could grow tomatoes and peppers and suchlike. Those are attractive plants to look at too, but they will need some care and attention (so not low maintenance). A general rule in gardening is to take a look at what is doing well in your neighbours' gardens and learn from it, because you can do the same with your soil and local climate.

The more we can grow at home the less we need to go out for food, which is important right now. Plus the things you grow yourself tend to taste better, and you know what's been sprayed on them (!)

-R
I actually have small portable planter in my front yard that grows cherry tomatoes, it's easily maintainable, but a whole wall full of vegetables might be too much for me to handle! Also previous years we've had droughts (this year not so much), so I've had to be conservative on my water usage. Saying that, this is the first year we've gone into a global quarantine, so maybe I should take this time to improve my gardening skills! :D 👍

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
I miss the taste of burgers but I don’t want an animal to die just so I can experience that taste/texture again. If manufacturers can produce a plant based burger alternative that ticks those tasty boxes and that stops me going back to eating meat then I think it’s a win win situation. Yes, eat more fruit and veg but even vegans and vegetarians want some tasty junk food once in a while.

I’m just amazed you can cook and eat a banana skin. Who knew? Of course none of us can buy bananas as Kevin has gone out and bought them all!!!
I did a year not eating meat, but if you miss the taste of burgers, I recommend trying the Impossible vegan burgers. I consider the vegan patty to be actually quite good and it doesn't fall apart like bean/rice based patties.

I've had vegan mushroom based hot 'wings' and mushroom 'calamari' with a pinch of lemon juice plus marinara dipping sauce and both dishes nail the texture and taste almost perfectly. Saying that, I'm not a big fan either of trying to emulate meats, but I find with modern vegan cuisine there's a lot that can be accomplished without having to resort to only salads and fruit. ;)

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
Sam's Club is doing this
The local Costco's are doing the same as well. On my trip this past weekend they also have guys from the local volunteer fire department limiting the number of people who can enter at the same time (plus Costco is restricting 2 people per membership card) so that there isn't a herding situation going on as people enter the the front doors where the pre-sanitized carts are. When you do enter you're directed to a freshly sanitized cart waiting for and there's a sign right as you enter with a rotating list of what's in stock and out of stock.
On a lighter note, have you tried cooking the ripe banana skins? I’ve not but apparently you can shred it up, cook with fried onions, garlic and bbq sauce to make a healthy alternative to pulled pork. Supposed to be quite tasty.
I have not but considering the number of bananas I go through it might be worth trying. Mrs. Kevin doesn't like pulled pork so even if isn't the same taste, but 'close enough', then it'd just be me anyway eating it and I like trying new things.

maybe @Kevin can try out this banana peel "bacon" recipe and report back.
😆 No. Unless it comes from Wilbur then it isn't "bacon". 🐖🥓

Of course none of us can buy bananas as Kevin has gone out and bought them all!!!
I've been kind and leaving some. :D

I recommend trying the Impossible vegan burgers.
I've had the Impossible Burger at the local Red Robin just to try it. Surprisingly it wasn't bad, made me think of the flavor of the cheap kid's burgers at McDonald's. It was certainly close enough that if I was a guest at somebody's house and they put some of them on the grill I would not have questioned it if it was beef or not. If it wasn't for the cost I'd likely be buying some of the 'ground' Impossible Burger from the local Wegman's to try in different recipes but neither of us are vegans at the house, and my dogs like the occasional beef, so there's no reason for me to spend the extra money on it. If the price point was lower than actual beef then I'd be tempted to buy it for when I make some sauces & 'Hamburger Helper' type meals.

christilou

Legend
Jul 13, 2010
Sunny Frimley
Still unable to get a home delivery from our local supermarket. They are releasing slots several days ahead but I've yet to see a single one saying "available". I was hoping they would do click & collect but it doesn't seem to have become a reality yet.

On a more serious note, Boris is in intensive care :(

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
It might be "Goodbye Boris". They say around Day 9 you either improve tremendously or you take a sudden turn for the worse. If he's lucky they'll pump him full of experimental drugs and keep him on a ventilator.

My feeling is once you're on the ventilator it's not looking too good.

Even with the best outcome I would not like to be in his situation.

And this guy is presumably getting the best care available in the UK. Scary stuff.

I'm 66, so if I came in sick to a NYC Hospital I'd get triaged to the portable morgue freezer.......☠☠☠

PS: christilou, I don't know about the situation where you are, but in NYC, the home delivery slots are "unavailable" all the time. I've had luck filling up my cart, then I get up in the middle of the night and click and click and click. If I'm lucky, someone cancels and I get the slot. So far, so good. It's all very hit or miss.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2013
Louisville, Ky
Murphy's law decided to hit home. Our clothes dryer died a painless death after 18 years of service. So off to Lowes we went to get a new one. It was very weird, and not in the fun way, being in a practically empty home improvement store. Lowes was only allowing a few people in at a time. Then off to a grocery store to pick a few things up. And by a few things, I mean whatever she was getting. While ventured into the attached liquor store for a fresh bottle of Sailor Jerry's. And a nice discussion with the sales clerk about our favorite rums.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
priority assistance from Woolies
Turned out to be a misnomer. “Priority” doesn't mean the same to the Woolies here as it might elsewhere. In fact what happens is that we get whatever is left over, and if they dont have any at all, bad luck, you get refunded. Too bad if it was something you actually need (oh... wait... isnt that FOOD?). I’m afraid I am going to be having to go out to the supermarket anyway, and since I do have to go, to try to find the things not supplied from my order, I fail to see what’s “assistance” about me paying a delivery fee for something I am not actually getting.

Call me ticked off.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Yesterday was a beautiful day, so my wife and I took a drive to a rural farmer's market. I rarely see other people there, but It seems many people had the same idea. The main market is a small single room, and there was no one in there when we arrived. Several cars immediately pulled into the gravel lot right behind us. We got our stuff and left as quickly as possible. On the way home we drove past the main chain grocery in our area. Craziness. The parking lot looked like the evening before Christmas, or a major predicted snowstorm. There's a smaller local grocery franchise about 1/2 mile from our home. It was packed, too. It seems no matter what time you go out - early, mid-day, or late - the markets are crowded. I do not like this "new normal" at all.

Djarum

All-Pro
Jul 10, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Jason
It might be "Goodbye Boris". They say around Day 9 you either improve tremendously or you take a sudden turn for the worse. If he's lucky they'll pump him full of experimental drugs and keep him on a ventilator.

My feeling is once you're on the ventilator it's not looking too good.

Even with the best outcome I would not like to be in his situation.

And this guy is presumably getting the best care available in the UK. Scary stuff.

I'm 66, so if I came in sick to a NYC Hospital I'd get triaged to the portable morgue freezer.......☠☠☠

PS: christilou, I don't know about the situation where you are, but in NYC, the home delivery slots are "unavailable" all the time. I've had luck filling up my cart, then I get up in the middle of the night and click and click and click. If I'm lucky, someone cancels and I get the slot. So far, so good. It's all very hit or miss.
I live in suburbia and all the slots for delivery are over a week out.

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
Alas, the stats coming out of the UK regarding the ventilator do seem to reflect that.
Um.

According to the news here no more than ten minutes ago he's not on a ventilator. He has been given oxygen, which is not the same. A ventilator involves a machine breathing for the patient, oxygen means that they are breathing for themselves.

There are incidentally some interesting details coming out about the importance of position and posture on treatment effectiveness. Lying patients on their front, rather than back - or worse, propped up, gives the lungs more room in the body to inflate.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom