Coronavirus 2020 🤧

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Hmmm, I wonder if my wife could be talked into moving to Switzerland.
I'm not so sure everything would feel as good to you as it does to me - it was pretty bad only ten days ago, and now it's better, and I think that plays a major part in my perception. And people generally seem to take it much more in their stride than in many other parts of the world. To outsiders, this may seem careless, even dangerous. I really hope it still works (the numbers seem to bear that out, but we'll still have to wait and see).

M.

Last edited:

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
To be fair to the other artists involved, it’s not just lady Gaga.

Among those performing will be Alanis Morissette, Andrea Bocelli, Billie Eilish, Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, Burna Boy, Chris Martin, David Beckham, Eddie Vedder, Elton John, FINNEAS, Idris and Sabrina Elba, J Balvin, John Legend, Kacey Musgraves, Keith Urban, Kerry Washington, Lang Lang, Lizzo, Maluma, Paul McCartney, Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Shah Rukh Khan and Stevie Wonder.
There you go. I haven't the foggiest who half of these people are, but at least they are getting off their overpaid arses and trying to reach the people who follow and look up to them in a positive manner.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Beautiful, sunny, blusterous day here. A bit windy for bike riding, but I needed to get out of the house, so I loaded up the bike and headed to my favorite nearby riding venue . . . only to get within a mile of the park to find the road into the little town was closed due to flooding. I considered doing a bypass and going in the back way, but it occurred to me that if the main road was flooded, the park likely was, too. The only other nearby park suitable for riding is currently closed to the public due to miscreant behavior. So here I sit talking to you folk . . . .

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
I was feeling a bit sorry for myself the other day and then I saw a TV program with a feature on survivors of the holocaust. They interviewed a guy who hid in an attic for two YEARS. His entertainment was catching houseflies and removing their wings.

A couple months cooped up with the internet, loads of free streaming music and video programming shouldn't be so hard.

This situation just reveals how soft we've all become.

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
One thing I hadn't factored in was how easy it would be to totally and utterly overdo it with "gettings things done" (read: do additional work in order to get it out of the door). I'm completely knackered; not yet done for today, but now am at least confident of getting there. But I hope I've learnt my personal lesson this time around. No level of completion will raise satisfaction sufficiently to compensate for exhaustion ... but too much of what may pass for diligence will wear you down needlessly.

Here's to balancing options ... fits the current flow of the discussion rather neatly, I guess.

M.

Last edited:

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
I’m not getting anything done around the house. By the time I’ve finished working from home for the day, I’m beat. Worse than if I commuted to work normally.
Take a compassionate pat from me on the back, Steve. I know exactly what you're talking about. I'm really glad that I have photography as an outlet and a motivator to do something else than stare into a screen and hack on a keyboard .... Just take care, d'ye hear? We're doing all this in order *not* to give up the ghost ...

M.

Richard

Top Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
I know you've all been worried about Boris - this just in from a Number 10 spokesman :

’The Prime Minister has been moved this evening from intensive care back to the ward, where he will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery. He is in extremely good spirits.’

I'm not sure I'm quite ready for Boris in "extremely good spirits", but anyway ...

-R

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Jul 13, 2011
Lexington, VA
Steve
I was feeling a bit sorry for myself the other day and then I saw a TV program with a feature on survivors of the holocaust. They interviewed a guy who hid in an attic for two YEARS. His entertainment was catching houseflies and removing their wings.

A couple months cooped up with the internet, loads of free streaming music and video programming shouldn't be so hard.

This situation just reveals how soft we've all become.
I’m sure you could catch flies with practice.

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
I know you've all been worried about Boris - this just in from a Number 10 spokesman :

’The Prime Minister has been moved this evening from intensive care back to the ward, where he will receive close monitoring during the early phase of his recovery. He is in extremely good spirits.’

I'm not sure I'm quite ready for Boris in "extremely good spirits", but anyway ...

-R
If he's in a general ward, he won't be in "extremely good spirits"for long...

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer
I met him once, at a drinks reception in Whitehall. When we were introduced he asked me what I did. Rather than go into a long explanation along the lines of "I manage a team that sells high level professional services associated with the implementation of the world's foremost enterprise resource planning applications to industries in the Communications, Media, Energy, Utilities, Construction and Gaming market sectors." I kept it simple and said "I'm a slave trader."

When we - literally - bumped into each other again, an hour or so later, he exclaimed "Ah, the slave trader!" Given how many people he must have been introduced to in the interim I was mildly impressed.

By the way, he's taller than he looks.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
I met him once, at a drinks reception in Whitehall. When we were introduced he asked me what I did. Rather than go into a long explanation along the lines of "I manage a team that sells high level professional services associated with the implementation of the world's foremost enterprise resource planning applications to industries in the Communications, Media, Energy, Utilities, Construction and Gaming market sectors." I kept it simple and said "I'm a slave trader."

When we - literally - bumped into each other again, an hour or so later, he exclaimed "Ah, the slave trader!" Given how many people he must have been introduced to in the interim I was mildly impressed.

By the way, he's taller than he looks.
to be fair, you were (most likely) the only slave trader he met that evening.

Latest threads

Top Bottom