Coronavirus 2020 🤧

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
It's funny how you start thinking of creative ways to make stuff with limited supplies and being in quarantine. Home gym equipment has skyrocketed in price. A pull-up bar that used to sell for $25 USD, now sells for $100 USD! I actually spent the day pondering where I could do proper pull-ups at my house. I have a T post in my backyard that seems sturdy enough to hold me, but gripping the cross frame isn't very comfortable. I then searched on Amazon for different harnesses and came across adjustable nylon straps for tree swings. Shipping would take several days to a week and I wanted a more immediate solution. I then remembered I have two Think Tank camera bag straps with dual metal clips. I procured workout handles from a resistant band I had laying around to use as grips. I put it all together and it seems to work well for my intended purposes! :D

å

Graham Moore

Regular
Oct 15, 2018
Vancouver BC
Graham
I’m sure you could catch flies with practice.
It's actually quite easy if you're very relaxed; your muscles don't have to unlock and then reactivate when you move to grab the fly. It freaks people out when they see you do it repeatedly! My wife gets disgusted when I catch a fly with my bare hand, squeeze a bit to kill it, then drop it into the garbage can.
If you watch fighters in a boxing or MMA match, it's always the loosest ones that hit faster. Same principle with grabbing flies or other creatures.

Richard

Top Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
I vaguely remember reading that a fly, because of its compound eyes, sees the world very differently to us and is weirdly vulnerable to the approach of a large round object, like a tennis ball. They have a sort of compound blind spot, if you like. I've never tried to kill a fly with a tennis ball (another month of lockdown and it could become a vital skill) but it's an interesting theory.

-R

re-note

Regular
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
Maundy Thursday
two very different images from yesterday
Frenzy - when I had to take my wife by car to the clinic situated in midtown Bremen, there were so many cars on the road unlike the preceding weeks. Apparently they headed to the DIY superstores to buy some flowers and garden equipment. The parking lots were crammed. In addition and inevitable the kamikaze-drivers gave their usual performance plowing the tarmac. People were out in full force for shopping and recreation.
This multi-exposure pic may convey a feeling of being lost in trying times

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Calm - off the main road there is a small pub, that had been closed down according to present regulations - the owners did not leave it without some Easter decoration I conceived as a positive gesture

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Creative indeed....
The other day I had a chat with a gym buddy of mine and we've both come to the conclusion that muscle gains will return, but your life gains...not so much! Saying that I've been enjoying cookie butter ice cream a little too much! :D :roflmao:

serhan

All-Pro
May 7, 2011
NYC
I did not know about Hart Island before I moved to NY... Sad video from NYC:
Bodies Buried in Potter’s Field as New York’s Coronavirus Deaths Mount

fyi, from wikipedia: Hart Island (Bronx) - Wikipedia
"Hart Island contains New York City's 131-acre (0.53 km2) potter's field, or public cemetery. The potter's field is variously described as the largest tax-funded cemetery in the United States,[58] the largest-such in the world,[45][59] and one of the largest mass graves in the United States.[60][61] More than one million dead are buried on the island, though since the 2000s, the burial rate has declined to fewer than 1,500 a year.[6][59][60][62]

Many of the dead either had families who could not afford the expenses of private funerals or were not claimed by relatives within a month of death."

The burials are normally done by prisoners. There is no access to public except the family members with appointment with Dept of Correction...

Last edited:

Richard

Top Veteran
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
In today's news, apparently Krakatoa is erupting. Following the Australian bush fires and in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic one could almost form the impression that somebody somewhere is trying to tell us something. I just googled the plagues of Egypt to see what we can expect next, but that appears to be a separate sequence. No mention of Brexit anyway, nor a shortage of toilet paper.

-R

Djarum

All-Pro
Jul 10, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Jason
In today's news, apparently Krakatoa is erupting. Following the Australian bush fires and in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic one could almost form the impression that somebody somewhere is trying to tell us something. I just googled the plagues of Egypt to see what we can expect next, but that appears to be a separate sequence. No mention of Brexit anyway, nor a shortage of toilet paper.

-R
Well here in the south Easter Sunday could end in a severe tornado outbreak.

buttermaker

Apr 11, 2020
Northern Virginia USA
Steven
New member here from Northern Virginia USA. This was a normal day in Washington DC where I work. Now it's basically a ghost town. I even have to carry a letter from my company stating I'm an essential employee just in case I get pulled over. Police everywhere and many roads blocked. Just crazy if you ask me.

re-note

Regular
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
Easter Saturday
Went cycling to the cemetery today to avoid the virus as much as possible. As I expected there were very few visitors around.
On my way I had to pass a car-wash that had been re-opened this morning - cars were waiting in a queue. I wonder what will happen once restrictions get lifted.

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
This is the first spring break for the kids that we didn't travel. Last year we did Legoland and the year before that we drove to the Grand Canyon. We also plan international trips during the summer, but it looks like that won't happen either. On top of that, this whole week was raining. I setup an indoor tent for the kids as a staycation! My wife spent one night with them and her back was so sore! The kids love it though and want to keep it as a permanent fixture! :D

camp_living_room.jpg

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom