Coronavirus 2020 🤧

Our good neighbors surprised us with an egg hunt. it rained just a bit in the morning but luckily they were sealed well

A6400 and 50mm SEL
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Cell Phone shot)

We usually gather with about 10 kids or so for an Easter Eve egg dye, hangout game night. Not this year.

We still did some egg dying on our own
A6400 and 18-135mm

(Cell Phone Shot)

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Our good neighbors surprised us with an egg hunt. it rained just a bit in the morning but luckily they were sealed well

A6400 and 50mm SEL
View attachment 218533View attachment 218534

(Cell Phone shot)
View attachment 218535

We usually gather with about 10 kids or so for an Easter Eve egg dye, hangout game night. Not this year.

We still did some egg dying on our own
A6400 and 18-135mm
View attachment 218536View attachment 218537View attachment 218538

(Cell Phone Shot)
View attachment 218539

Cute! We're doing an egg hunt with toy Hatchimals tomorrow. If you don't know, they're toy animals incased in a fake egg casing that you crack open. I'd rather conserve real eggs for food! :D

donlaw

Hall of Famer
Sep 14, 2012
Texas
Don
Maundy Thursday
two very different images from yesterday
Frenzy - when I had to take my wife by car to the clinic situated in midtown Bremen, there were so many cars on the road unlike the preceding weeks. Apparently they headed to the DIY superstores to buy some flowers and garden equipment. The parking lots were crammed. In addition and inevitable the kamikaze-drivers gave their usual performance plowing the tarmac. People were out in full force for shopping and recreation.
This multi-exposure pic may convey a feeling of being lost in trying times

View attachment 218208

Calm - off the main road there is a small pub, that had been closed down according to present regulations - the owners did not leave it without some Easter decoration I conceived as a positive gesture

View attachment 218209
a
Like both of these images. The multiexposure really works amazingly for me. Excellent image supurbly representing the way many us may feel.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
My opinion is that a changing threat environment means that you need the ability to quickly adapt to the new reality in order to survive. Non-adaptation = non-survival.

Wearing a mask is one of these required adaptations. The empirical evidence from all over the world is too strong to ignore.

Why is every single doctor working in a hospital covering their face?

PS: Let's say the people who say not to wear a mask are right most of the time. But 10% of the time, they are not right, and wearing a mask can save you from airborne particles. Is it so difficult to wear a mask for a 10% advantage of survival?

oximeter1.jpg
sophie_mask.jpg
therm.jpg

Last edited:

MoonMind

Hall of Famer
Dec 29, 2013
Switzerland
Matt
Partly unrelated, but certainly the current situation did catalise this: After almost a year of "only" walking, I brought out the first bike and took a short right that turned out unexpectedly pleasant and easy. Again (like the office transformation I told you about yesterday) I actually am glad I took that step; I'll be back in the saddle again this year, and if at all possible, I'll use two self-powered wheels for my summer vacation (whatever that may have to turn into - we'll see).

This is my oldest bike - it had to take back over from my favourite one when that was stolen two and a half years ago. I'm glad I kept it - now it serves as my daily driver. It has seen a lot of action (was even converted into an e-bike - and back again), but still works mostly fine, apart from a slight wobble that admittedly is getting a bit worse now ...

FXE35988.jpg

M.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
I headed out for a bike ride early yesterday morning, when it was sunny but quite chilly. The park was empty save for a dog walker and another solitary walker, and they left shortly after I arrived. I rode long enough to get in 8 miles, and never saw another person. Then right before 10:30, people began pouring into the park, even though a cold front had moved in, bringing a very chilly wind and a solid overcast. I was going to get in a few more laps, but decided it was getting too crowded, and packed it in for the day. Then not long after I got home, the front moved away, the overcast broke, and it got very nice outside.

Jonathan F/2

Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
My opinion is that a changing threat environment means that you need the ability to quickly adapt to the new reality in order to survive. Non-adaptation = non-survival.

Wearing a mask is one of these required adaptations. The empirical evidence from all over the world is too strong to ignore.

PS: Let's say the people who say not to wear a mask are right most of the time. But 10% of the time, they are not right, and wearing a mask can save you from airborne particles. Is it so difficult to wear a mask for a 10% advantage of survival?

View attachment 218629View attachment 218631View attachment 218632
You know, it blows my mind how hard it is for people accept methods that are simple and easy for prevention. Wear a mask, take off your shoes before going into your home. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Not to mention the strain/s of COVID-19 on the east coast seems even more extreme. As a parent I totally feel you on this. People need to check egos at the door and look at methods of prevention that have success.

People who don't take prevention seriously are putting others at risks as well. It's like the drunk driver who survives a car accident, but ends up killing the other driver. It's selfish and reckless.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
Partly unrelated, but certainly the current situation did catalise this: After almost a year of "only" walking, I brought out the first bike and took a short right that turned out unexpectedly pleasant and easy. Again (like the office transformation I told you about yesterday) I actually am glad I took that step; I'll be back in the saddle again this year, and if at all possible, I'll use two self-powered wheels for my summer vacation (whatever that may have to turn into - we'll see).

This is my oldest bike - it had to take back over from my favourite one when that was stolen two and a half years ago. I'm glad I kept it - now it serves as my daily driver. It has seen a lot of action (was even converted into an e-bike - and back again), but still works mostly fine, apart from a slight wobble that admittedly is getting a bit worse now ...

View attachment 218633

M.
Love the bike. Its been decades since I’ve been able to ride, I really miss it. I’ve been contemplating a 3 wheel e-bike just so I can get out more. (my balance is shot). My favourite bike was a GT Tequesta... exactly like this one, but sold on in 1996

Lightmancer

Legend
Aug 13, 2011
Sunny Frimley
Bill Palmer

You know, it blows my mind how hard it is for people accept methods that are simple and easy for prevention. Wear a mask, take off your shoes before going into your home. Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Not to mention the strain/s of COVID-19 on the east coast seems even more extreme. As a parent I totally feel you on this. People need to check egos at the door and look at methods of prevention that have success.

People who don't take prevention seriously are putting others at risks as well. It's like the drunk driver who survives a car accident, but ends up killing the other driver. It's selfish and reckless.
Gents, you are entirely entitled to your views on masks, but until there is a global announcement that there is concrete, incontrovertible proof that their wearing stops Covid dead in its tracks in the general populace, your opinions are just that. I'm getting tired of the hype around this and the insinuations of recklessness and selfishness. In the UK we are NOT being bounced into a state of near hysteria over the wearing of masks. We wash, we keep our distance. We live. We die. You have the complete right to wear what you want - whatever makes you feel better - but it is not a universal truth.

Just for the record, the current guidance according to WHO, is based upon their looking at the latest evidence, including whether the virus can be projected further than previously thought. They wanted to re-examine whether the general public might indeed benefit from wearing masks.

Its experts decided that it remains the case that medical masks should be reserved for healthcare workers, not the general public.

Their advice is that only two groups of people should wear protective masks, those who are:
  • sick and showing symptoms
  • caring for people suspected to have the coronavirus
Masks are not recommended for the general public by WHO because:
  • they can be contaminated by other people's coughs and sneezes or when putting them on or removing them
  • frequent hand-washing and social distancing are more effective
  • they might offer a false sense of security
I know that in the US you are now being advised to use clean cloth or fabric to cover your faces whilst in public. Your own officials say medical masks are in short supply and should be left for healthcare workers.
US officials hope the new rules could stop people without symptoms unknowingly spreading coronavirus. The fact is reusable cloth masks are also not recommended and may even increase the chance of infection according to European clinical advice. They point out that there is a high chance virus particles can go through cloth. Problems with moisture from your breath can also mean the cloth retains the virus.

The UK is not advising most people to wear either medical or homemade masks.

Again, I simply point this out for the sake of balance. I have as much of a natural aversion to sweeping generalisations presented as incontrovertible truths as I do to dying of some bastard virus. That does not make me or the majority of the civilised world reckless or selfish.

Distance.

Wash.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I read some of the articles downplaying the use of masks during this pandemic. Weasel words in them.
What is clear- there are not enough masks to go around. If these organizations all advised wearing masks, then the lack of availability would lead to problems. So- they can fall back on lack of long-term studies showing the benefits of wearing masks. The same organization that is downplaying the use of masks also stated that this virus cannot be passed from person to person. Lack of studies confirming that the disease could be spread person-to-person, They were wrong.

The facts are- masks reduce the spread of this virus. Forget longterm clinical studies with effectiveness numbers- there has not been enough time to conduct them.

If all else fails, piss into a handkerchief and wear it. That saved my GrandFather's life during a Mustard Gas attack in "the Great War". He did this even though there were no clinical trials to support this use of piss. It will also guarantee social distancing.

tonyturley

Hall of Famer
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
If all else fails, piss into a handkerchief and wear it. That saved my GrandFather's life during a Mustard Gas attack in "the Great War". He did this even though there were no clinical trials to support this use of piss. It will also guarantee social distancing.
There are no emojis that adequately fit this last paragraph. Although I know you were being serious, I couldn't help but laugh. Sometimes I think in the direst of times we have to find humor, or we'll go nuts.

agentlossing

Top Veteran
I think one of the biggest downfalls with masks is that they're quickly saturated with whatever they're intended to block. I bought a painter's type mask to help block the fumes of an oil-based polyurethane spray that I was using to refinish a table. That mask quickly got saturated with fumes, rendering it useless.

Unless masks are switched out and/or washed frequently, they become germ storehouses. They are really only good for an hour or two at most. And medical masks certainly shouldn't be being discarded at that rate by the general public doing their grocery shopping.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
An "hour or two at most"?? Good Lord, that's plenty for getting into the elevator in my building when it becomes crowded with oblivious millennials....eating, touching phones, sweating in jogging outfits and a quick in and out of the supermarket. And why not discard the mask then? (even though I soak them in Steramine solution and let them dry for reuse)

I wasn't planning on running a marathon in a mask.

You guys do what you want and I'll settle for the "false sense of security", here in the epicenter, NYC.

Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
Unless masks are switched out and/or washed frequently, they become germ storehouses. They are really only good for an hour or two at most.
This. Which is why mine only gets worn to shopping, and the internal filter thrown out, and the mask itself washed in hot soapy water on return. New filter installed ready for next time. I don’t wear it to the fruit and veg shop because I go at a time theres never a crowd. If I get to the supermarket and theres a crowd, I go back home, theres nothing that urgent.

agentlossing

Top Veteran
That's the point. If people are truly using masks intelligently, then they're probably a really good way to stop the spread. But I see people around my hometown literally hanging their mask from their rearview mirror and popping it on and off when they go into the store. I don't think most of the public is able to grasp the concept, and in those cases then yes, they are doing more harm than good. The woman I saw dangling her mask from her mirror is driving around breathing all the potential germs being shedded by that thing and circulated by the car air ducts. If she's an asymptomatic carrier (I saw Iceland randomly tested 10% of their population and found that a full 50% of those who tested positive were asymptomatic) she's practically carrying around a smallpox blanket whenever she goes into public.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
So because unintelligent people do not use masks correctly, you want to tell people who do understand how to use masks not to use them?

The same logic would ban complicated cameras with many features because people don't understand them and take bad pictures. Make everyone use a disposable camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom