Top Veteran
Aug 1, 2016
Bremen - Germany
Rolf
today small shops have been allowed to come back into business
this is the kiosk round the corner

shopping at the petrol station

headline in the local tabloid when 133 refugees had been tested positive
(corona outbreak in a refugee home where they had been taken in first - people got confined to their rooms)

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
It was my day into work- I went in very early.

Did my shopping on the way home, hit Sam's Club at 9:10am. Went right in. A mountain of toilet paper, limit 1 per customer for the 45 pack. I've heard that Tyson's is closing a big factory, and there would be "roaming shortages" for Deli meat. Could not tell that, the shelves were stocked- now so are we. Nikki had asked for dessert- picked up a chocolate cake on the way home. Toilet paper and chocolate cake. I received a warm greeting when getting in from work today.

Mailed a package today, very nice young woman opened up a new line to clear customers quickly. My hair is getting big. Told her "If the governor sees my hair, he'll declare Haircuttery as essential business". I have a $50 set aside for the next $18 cut.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I live in the Financial District of NYC, which is only a 10 or 15 minute walk to Chinatown. So I have been walking there to go shopping. Most of the place is deserted. A few stores are open.

This is a Chinese restaurant which has been hastily converted into a grocery store. They are selling off their stored inventory as well as some new items. It's a way of economic survival.

They were very pleasant to me. I bought some chickens, some vegetables, and I had a conversation with one of the owners about how I missed Chinese food. She went in the back and returned with a bag of packaged cooked Chinese food, the same as they had cooking and eating themselves. She sold it to me for an extremely reasonable price, and when I got home, it was delicious. Fish, beef chow fun, a kind of mixed meat stew and several others.

IMG_20200501_140708.jpg
IMG_20200501_140715.jpg
I

IMG_20200501_140705.jpg

tonyturley

Legend
Nov 24, 2014
Scott Depot, WV, USA
Tony
Gut punch indeed. I was a mid-career government aviation employee when 9/11 hit. Although that took a heavy toll on smaller facilities like the one where I worked, COVID has been even worse. Now retired, I've spoken to my former supervisor a couple of times since last Autumn, and that 95% decline seems to be a constant across the industry. I'm told my former airport is clawing to survive.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I had been following the 737Max fiasco. Maybe with this extra time- Boeing could do more than try to use a software band-aid loaded into an old computer to fix the problem for real. Even when things open back up, many fewer people will be flying as often as they used to. This should give Boeing a chance to update the Avionics on their existing 737Max. If they put the plane back in the air, and when the next software-running-on-an-ancient-processor causes a problem- why would anyone fly one of their planes.

There is not much information on the processor used.

This paper was written around the time mentioned in the Verge article.

I spent the early 80s working with microcode based attached array processors. Still do a lot of realtime programming. Boeing needs to have engineers design avionics instead of the marketing department. It'd give the engineers and technicians something useful to do during this pandemic that will pay off for the company later.

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Jan 19, 2015
I had been following the 737Max fiasco. Maybe with this extra time- Boeing could do more than try to use a software band-aid loaded into an old computer to fix the problem for real. Even when things open back up, many fewer people will be flying as often as they used to. This should give Boeing a chance to update the Avionics on their existing 737Max. If they put the plane back in the air, and when the next software-running-on-an-ancient-processor causes a problem- why would anyone fly one of their planes.

There is not much information on the processor used.

This paper was written around the time mentioned in the Verge article.

I spent the early 80s working with microcode based attached array processors. Still do a lot of realtime programming. Boeing needs to have engineers design avionics instead of the marketing department. It'd give the engineers and technicians something useful to do during this pandemic that will pay off for the company later.
Surely everyone has the same thoughts when it comes to flying that plane. The term “band aid software” may be referenced by some as being too simplistic when describing this scenario but I really don’t think it is.

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Lately I've been jogging in the early evening. It's not required to wear a mask, but most people outdoors have some sort of face covering or at least a bandana that's read to wear and everyone who is courteous keeps their distance. My biggest pet peeve are these douche bags who don't bother to wear or bring a face covering. It's not required for outdoor activities, but the issue is that 99% of the time it's the same non-mask wearing arseholes who don't even bother to socially distance.

When on a sidewalk I always observe these people to see if they attempt to move or stay-the-course. If they're respectful, I'll move out towards the street ( I always run against traffic) and let them stay on the sidewalk. If they don't bother to move or are just plain oblivious, I'll run straight towards them and yell really loud to make them move. Currently my patience for stupid is extremely low.

Briar

All-Pro
Oct 27, 2010
Scotland
Karen
Lately I've been jogging in the early evening. It's not required to wear a mask, but most people outdoors have some sort of face covering or at least a bandana that's read to wear and everyone who is courteous keeps their distance. My biggest pet peeve are these douche bags who don't bother to wear or bring a face covering. It's not required for outdoor activities, but the issue is that 99% of the time it's the same non-mask wearing arseholes who don't even bother to socially distance.

When on a sidewalk I always observe these people to see if they attempt to move or stay-the-course. If they're respectful, I'll move out towards the street ( I always run against traffic) and let them stay on the sidewalk. If they don't bother to move or are just plain oblivious, I'll run straight towards them and yell really loud to make them move. Currently my patience for stupid is extremely low.
Careful, you are beginning to sound a little menopausal there!

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
"Get off my $#@!&* lawn!!"
Haha, I actually installed a fence because students from the local college loved sitting on my lawn! I even had a few people pass out on my grass after a night drinking. I've entertained the thought of motion sensor sprinklers to spray unwanted cats that keep defecating near my garden. Yeah, I'm becoming the neighborhood curmudgeon!

Latest threads

Top Bottom