Coronavirus 2020 🤧

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I have been buying my cloth masks from Beau Ties, a small company of 27 in Vermont. Not surprisingly, they make bow ties but the masks have been a big seller for them. They use the same fabric as they do for the ties so there is a wide range of patterns. They only cost $12, with $2 going to a covid charity. They even sell matching bow ties and masks. 🤓

wee-pics

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
P1026872.3.JPG

Note in a shop window today (the first day of total lockdown).
Dear customers, unfortunately, we have to close our store for the second time after 127 years. We thank our customers and hope to be able to serve you again soon. Stay safe and healthy!

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
Well, Sydney is now alive with the virus.. and its an American strain.. and they haven't found the index case but still looking for it. The Northern Beaches area is pretty much locked down and Greater Sydney is severely restricted. Sighhhh... theres no end to it. Our borders were supposed to be closed but they make exceptions... movie stars, politicians and so forth do not seem to have to obey the same rules as the rest of us. Oh well, here we go again. Glad I am in Newcastle but its only a matter of time before its in our area again (we've been clean for 2 months)

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
Well, Sydney is now alive with the virus.. and its an American strain.. and they haven't found the index case but still looking for it. The Northern Beaches area is pretty much locked down and Greater Sydney is severely restricted. Sighhhh... theres no end to it. Our borders were supposed to be closed but they make exceptions... movie stars, politicians and so forth do not seem to have to obey the same rules as the rest of us. Oh well, here we go again. Glad I am in Newcastle but its only a matter of time before its in our area again (we've been clean for 2 months)
Los Angeles is quickly becoming the epicenter of the US. Within 2 weeks, infections have already crossed over 100K just in LA County (approx. population 10 million). People here just don't care. I went biking the other day riding by busy shopping areas and there are long lines, no distancing and people have been gathering for indoor family events and other unmasked activities. Nurses and doctors are only being vaccinated now, but ICU capacity is at 0% with only a small allotment for non-covid related emergency use. It's getting to the point where most people know at least 1 person who has died from the virus.

christilou

Legend
We've moved rather rapidly from "Tier 2" up the scale to T3 and now T4 which is virtual lockdown here in Surrey. We finished a month semi lockdown a few weeks ago but since then a more rapidly transmitted strain has been wreaking havoc in London and the surrounding counties. Still so much conflicting information/facts/figures that we have lost all faith in our Government.

agentlossing

All-Pro
S. Oregon Coast (the Northernmost-Cal of them All)
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
It looks like the Southern Hemisphere is experiencing a rise coincident with cooler weather and flu season. At least a couple of vaccines are out... the U.S. feels like it has reached exhaustion point as the virus has spread in the months before vaccine availability and small businesses around here feel like they've been the special targets of state governors. Living in a small town it's sad to see them struggling in addition to the virtually non-existent tourist season and the usual belt-tightening that comes with winter on the Pacific coast. I feel like I've seen the national and state governments throw so much money at the problem, but so carelessly that it doesn't seem to get to the right people.

tonyturley

Legend
Real Name
Tony
Even though my state is comparatively low in population with respect to about 80% of the other US states, we are still busy enough that COVID is a concern. A woman from our church succumbed to the illness very recently, and another family had 3 of 4 members infected.

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
What the hell is this, I didn't know you live in Australia. For some reason my vague memory of your photos are of things and places elsewhere in the world, the US maybe.
ahah I think he’s from the UK, living in Sydney. But I could be wrong. On the matter of the TP, I was sitting in Doctors rooms today and overheard a conversation between a couple of people who shop at the same Coles store that I do, and apparently the TP is all gone. LOL! Did *nobody* learn anything from the last time?

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
What the hell is this, I didn't know you live in Australia. For some reason my vague memory of your photos are of things and places elsewhere in the world, the US maybe.
I tend to shoot what I see as opposed to what a tourist sees and so what I tend to see as I go back and forth from work every day is this:
R0030228 copy.jpg

as opposed to this:
R0340086.JPG

I work pretty much next to the bridge but because it's the same sight every day it doesn't tend to register as much.

Biro

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
On the matter of the TP, I was sitting in Doctors rooms today and overheard a conversation between a couple of people who shop at the same Coles store that I do, and apparently the TP is all gone. LOL! Did *nobody* learn anything from the last time?
People learned absolutely nothing. Because hoarding in such circumstances does not involve thinking. It’s a twist on the mammalian fight-or-flight response. It’s just a panicked reaction.

That's what distinguishes US from THEM (the animals) - our fight or flight response is ..... buy toilet paper! :)

We may need to increase the Amazon cut rate to produce enough for this next phase of "The Pandemic IV - the Virus Strikes Back"

"We don't need no stinkin' trees! We need toilet paper!"

Q: Does increased stress cause constipation? What does "the science" say?

Richard

All-Pro
During the first COVID wave, the conventional wisdom was that "stupid selfish hoarders" had stripped the supermarket shelves, but the reality (as usual) was more nuanced. After the fuss died down and the big supermarkets were able to assess what had happened, they said that yes, some people had bought ridiculous quantities of toilet paper etc - we all saw the pictures on the news. But actually, what really cleared the shelves was large numbers of customers just buying a bit more of everything at roughly the same time. We certainly did - we bought some more flour and some more dry pasta and we bought some things that we wouldn't normally buy, like long-life milk and canned meat. It seemed like a sensible precaution. The trouble was, when everyone bought more than they normally did, and bought the same kind of precautionary items that everyone else was buying, the stores ran out of certain things and the supply chains couldn't suddenly increase their capacity to replenish them.

-R

Richard

All-Pro
Flour was an interesting one. When lockdown started in March there was a sudden demand for flour for home baking - in 1kg and 2.5kg bags mostly. At the same time there was a sudden drop in demand for the 25kg bags of flour used for company catering and restaurants. The companies making flour couldn't supply the supermarkets, not because they were short of flour but because they couldn't easily switch from turning out 25kg bags in high volume to turning out even higher volumes of the smaller sizes - the machinery in the factories was all different. We bought a 25kg bag of flour online at that time because there was absolutely none in the shops, but people were happy to sell it to you in the larger sizes.

-R

Biro

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
The companies making flour couldn't supply the supermarkets, not because they were short of flour but because they couldn't easily switch from turning out 25kg bags in high volume to turning out even higher volumes of the smaller sizes - the machinery in the factories was all different. We bought a 25kg bag of flour online at that time because there was absolutely none in the shops, but people were happy to sell it to you in the larger sizes.

-R
Yes, many of the shortages we experienced were supply chain issues. For example, TP was available for commercial businesses. But the suppliers were unable or unwilling to switch everything over for consumers in a situation they regarded as temporary. It simply would have been too much money.

Latest threads

Top Bottom