Coronavirus 2020 🤧

Briar

All-Pro
I'm no expert, but I'd have thought that injecting someone in the mouth is a good deal more difficult/risky than injecting them in the arm.

Once they've shown a dentist the correct part of the arm to inject, it's hard to see how the rest of the seven hours and fifty five minutes of training is allocated.

-R

Well dentists sure as heck have scarier needles. Maybe they need the extra lesson time so as not to frighten the sh#t out of the patients!

It’s funny you mentioned the darts players, I used to be a nurse and I remember my training at uni we were given a sponge with a plaster on it, told to hold the syringe like a dart and just stab! Okay maybe there was a little bit more to it than that but no surprise, you don’t really learn until you have a real patient in front of you and then you find everyone is different. But clearly, darts players will have a head start in their training but maybe you’d need to breathalyse them first as they usually have a pint in the other hand to steady their nerves!

Briar

All-Pro
My dad died last week, not from COVID, just wore out at 94. But COVID did prevent my being physically present with him the last several months. Facetime and phone calls were our communication until he was unable to speak. COVID has sucked for many reasons and not being with loved ones has been devastating for many. I'll be thankful when we can be with family again.

I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. That must have been really difficult for you and your family. My thoughts are with you.

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
My dad died last week, not from COVID, just wore out at 94. But COVID did prevent my being physically present with him the last several months. Facetime and phone calls were our communication until he was unable to speak. COVID has sucked for many reasons and not being with loved ones has been devastating for many. I'll be thankful when we can be with family again.

Heartfelt sympathy, Brent. Its tough losing your Dad, even more so because of Covid restrictions.

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Real Name
bart
Really sorry to hear of your loss, Brent... Indeed covid keeping us apart is especially heartbreaking when we lose loved ones. My dad's sister died of covid-induced lung damage and he hadn't seen her in over a year. It sucks.

As for vaccines, my 32yo wife got the AstraZeneca jab last week and had a fever with heavy shivering for about 2 days, never had notable side effects from medicine or vaccines before. So you can never be sure there won't be side effects. But it was manageable with paracetamol, and all is good now. She's happy to have received the jab, as she works with fragile elderly people. Can't wait to get mine and visit my parents again.

Richard

All-Pro
I can report that the shivering sometimes starts about 8 hours after the AZ vaccine. Plus a headache and queasy stomach.

We've just been watching a documentary about mountain climbers and they described the symptoms of altitude sickness. They sounded quite similar. But I believe that altitude sickness is quite rare in the Thames Valley, so I suppose these are more likely side-effects of the vaccine.

So I'm off to bed.

-R

(if Boris has the same symptoms as me this evening, I hope they're not giving him anything important to sign) (or tpye)

christilou

Legend
I can report that the shivering sometimes starts about 8 hours after the AZ vaccine. Plus a headache and queasy stomach.

We've just been watching a documentary about mountain climbers and they described the symptoms of altitude sickness. They sounded quite similar. But I believe that altitude sickness is quite rare in the Thames Valley, so I suppose these are more likely side-effects of the vaccine.

So I'm off to bed.

-R

(if Boris has the same symptoms as me this evening, I hope they're not giving him anything important to sign) (or tpye)
I had my Astra Zeneca jab about two weeks ago. I was fine until about 7 hours later, just as I was toddling off to bed I began to shiver and was awake all night with the chills. By the early morning I also had a thick head and a pain behind my eyes. I took an Ibuprofen and was then fine all day if a tiny bit shivery. I'm 62 by the way. My husband had the Pfizer jab almost a month ago and had no effects whatsoever.
Looking at the news tonight, Boris appears to be alive and kicking .......

christilou

Legend
Very sorry to hear of your loss. A death in the family is a time to come together. I'm truly sorry your family have been denied this.

Richard

All-Pro
I had my Astra Zeneca jab about two weeks ago. I was fine until about 7 hours later, just as I was toddling off to bed I began to shiver and was awake all night with the chills. By the early morning I also had a thick head and a pain behind my eyes. I took an Ibuprofen and was then fine all day if a tiny bit shivery. I'm 62 by the way. My husband had the Pfizer jab almost a month ago and had no effects whatsoever.
Looking at the news tonight, Boris appears to be alive and kicking .......
I went to bed cold and shivering, lay awake for ages and then woke up in the night hot and sweaty and with my heart racing. I had a headache too.

I'm hoping that was the worst of it.

I'm better this morning. I've taken a couple of paracetamol and hopefully I will feel more human once I've had a shower and my temperature becomes more stable.

-R

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Martin Connolly
The AZ shot sounds like no picnic :/
The thinking is that the reaction is worse & faster to arrive if you’ve already had the virus. So it looks like (as suspected) both I and my wife did have mild cases when we were unwell last March. She has only just started getting her sense of smell back properly in the last week or two.

Last edited:

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
I've heard it said that the older you are the less likely you are to have side effects from the vaccination because of changes in ones immune system with age. At 73 I felt very little from my jab some 5 weeks ago. The more reaction you have the better your immune system is reacting to the vaccine and forming antibodies. Perhaps therefore the more you react to the vaccine the better protected you will become, maybe those you are having more pronounced reactions as detailed above should be glad of that as a sign of a high protection level.

Barrie

tonyturley

Legend
Real Name
Tony
I got my first poke in the arm two weeks ago tomorrow. Had a mildly sore arm the first couple of days, and some mild aches in my neck and shoulders. I go back for round 2 in 15 days. I will turn 62 in a few days. I have a few anti-vaxxers, or at least vaccine skeptics, within my circles of family and associates. A few think I'm crazy for taking the vaccine.

Sorry to hear your loss. My mother is still alive, and I've seen her only very occasionally these covid days. And I'm really sorry this covid thing gets us apart. She's vaccinated already once, and soon second time. So perhaps we can see each other more often, soon.

theoldsmithy

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Martin Connolly
I’ve actually started feeling worse after 24 hours. Not debilitating or anything but quite definite flu-like symptoms. Let’s see how quickly that subsides.
Tons better today. I went to bed at 9.15 last night, fuelled by Sominex, and slept for nearly 11 hours! I just have a slightly sore arm to report now.

Richard

All-Pro
My sister (61) had it worse than me. We were both 'done' on Thursday morning, I had a lousy night on Thursday into Friday but I was basically OK from Friday morning and slept really well last night. But my sister had to spend yesterday in bed with an unexpected day off work. She was OK this morning (Sat), so that's 48 hours out of action in her case, minus the first seven hours.

-R

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom