Coronavirus 2020 🤧

serhan

Hall of Famer
I got my second Moderna shot 2 weeks ago. I had no side effects with first shot and felt like flu eg shivering, sweat, tiredness with second one (no fever). I also searched for my other family members. Usually side effects are worse for younger people with stronger immune systems. Females are worse than males due to hormonal/immune system differences. People with allergies need to be watched... The side effects are less with people over 60 and more with some of younger coworkers, eg 102F~40C fever, based on our office with ages from 25 to 73, mostly Moderna shots... Usually it takes 1-2 days to recover... I read 75-83% side effects with Moderna and Pfizer vs 50's% with Johnson vaccine though they stopped Johnson vaccine in couple states in US within last few days due to adverse reactions...

I found this article to compare side effects:

There is covid variants that still make people sick after getting shots, but at least it is more like flu eg no hospitilization and still the virus spreads... Our admin assistant got Covid from her cop boyfriend who had his second shot and got sick also....I see that they are talking about a third booster shot now for the variants...

Last edited:

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
Over here there isnt much choice. Its Astrazeneca or Pfizer. but Pfizer only if you are under 50 (or is it 30 now, they keep changing) and you cant get the Pfizer if you are over 50 (or 30) because the govt didnt order enough doses. Theres more coming (maybe) but that will only cover 10 million people. I’m going to wait til I am summoned to my new GP rooms for a jab. (My previous now cancelled appointment was at my previous GP rooms... decided to keep it all happening in one place so the records/file is correct). I’m still unconvinced about the AZ jab’s safety, but oh well at least I now have a will if something should befall (yes, I did not have one until a couple of weeks ago...)

Briar

All-Pro
Well, I didn’t get shivers but my body got more and more roasty toasty during the night so I took paracetamol. I’m still hotter than normal this morning but not uncomfortably so. I’m usually too cold so this is a bit of a treat!

I’ve got a headache but it’s been mild in comparison to my normal headaches. I don’t get many headaches but when I do they are generally whoppers.

I did go to bed early, about 10 pm, as I was pretty tired but woke up about midnight with a craving for a large bowl of Kellogg’s sultana bran flakes so my appetite is fine.

I didn’t get any sleep after that though.

My heart rate has been notably elevated since I took the paracetamol. My resting pulse is normally 51 bpm, but it was pounding between 109 and 130 bpm during the night while lying in bed. It’s about 92 bpm now so getting better.

My body has been quite sore during the night and still is this morning. I’ve had a painful hip since last week after doing an excessive amount of walking (for me anyway) over the Easter weekend and the pain seems more pronounced now. It’s likely just because I was lying awake so I was more aware of it. The injection site is now tender as I favoured that side to avoid lying on my hip. I was restless though - just couldn’t get comfortable. Hopefully get a better night’s sleep tonight.

The sun is glorious outside just now. Tempted to go for a wee walk to see if it helps loosen up my hip.

olli

Super Moderator Emeritus
Real Name
olli
I got my vaccinations last month thanks to the Bulgarian government who kindly included some of us expats in their vaccine programme. I got the Moderna vaccine. I had no side effects other than some swelling and tenderness in muscle on both occasions, though quite a few people I know who also got it had more unpleasant side effects after the second dose only - mostly the typical'flu-like' symptoms for 24-48 hours.

Briar

All-Pro
Do take it easy, Karen, if its bone on bone, you dont want to be walking until after a hip replacement.

Thanks Sue, nothing that serious thankfully - my hips should still have a good number of years ahead of them. It’s just a strained muscle from over walking during the long Easter weekend. It's not huge amounts I was walking - around 15-20 miles per day - but I'm way out of practice with the lockdown. I'm hoping to get back up the hills as soon as Scotland reopens.

re-note

All-Pro
Real Name
Rolf
This is Dieter.
By now we have 2021 and he still is an ardent disbeliever in anything pandemic - he thinks its just nonsense.
I met him yesterday on his way into midtown, where he performs his music around the theatre.
Paradoxically he cannot get public transport without wearing a mask. The bus he entered stopped for an unsual long time, so he must have had some discussion with the driver and/or other passengers. I would have loved to witness the scene, as I feel more courageous to approach people after I had my first jab of biontech.

P4172981.jpg

tonyturley

Legend
Real Name
Tony
It is easy for deniers like Dieter to spout nonsense . . . until it hits someone they care about. Our 24 year old nephew has been in the hospital this week with COVID, also developing pneumonia to complicate matters. He's a life-long asthma sufferer, which has made matters worse. He was just moved from the ICU to a regular room today. He is not out of the woods, and is still unable to get up out of bed. It's 17 years this week since we stood by the bedside of our son - in the same hospital - while he lay in a coma from which he never recovered. So my sister-in-law and her husband are more than a little shaken, as they were there with us 17 years ago and remember that time vividly. This hits way too close to home for our family.

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
Doing OK in Australia. Still getting cases from travellers returning home, but generally its been OK. In the Hunter Region, where I live, there have been no active cases and no community transmission for something like 6-7 months. Still get occasional outbreaks when someone screws up their quarantine, or when the virus escapes (somehow, all by itself ~@|@~) from quarantine... Just hoping the South African variant doesnt make it over here (fat chance) because apparently none of the current vaccines can deal with it effectively.

I’m getting my first jab next week, but I will not be changing my behaviours. Wearing a mask, handwashing and social distancing works well, and if theres another outbreak near here, thats what I will be doing, again. (Havent needed a mask for ages, handwashing should be de rigeur all the time, and a bit of social distance suits this hermit!)

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
The "swiss cheese" model is helpful in explaining that no single measure will defeat the virus alone. It takes a combination of measures to really make a difference.

Hope it's OK to post this here - I think it's a great graphic.

View attachment 255624
That is an excellent graphic. I think, though, that the main problem all along has been the people who deny that there is a pandemic and continue to say its no more than the flu. Especially those in power, like Bolsinaro. What a mess it is in Brazil.

tonyturley

Legend
Real Name
Tony
Our nephew was finally released from the hospital a few days ago. He was still very fatigued, but doing much better. He works in a business where a significant percentage of the employees have contracted COVID, but as far as I know, none were nearly as sick. Shortly before he started showing symptoms, he had tested negative twice . . . then he went downhill fast. Just glad he's finally recovering.

Well, fresh in from first jab of Pfizer, so far so good even though I feel some sort of headache sneaking up. Looking forward to the second jab in mid-June. Countermeasures are getting a bit long in the tooth for the moment, and cabin fever are on, if not rampart, so clearly felt.

Held a in-person back-brief yesterday, and that is the first non-virtual meeting with more than one person, since early October 2020 and it was lush... 😂

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom