Coronavirus 2020 🤧

Richard

All-Pro
Election day here today - voting for local councillors, police commissioners, city mayors and suchlike. Local elections usually get a pretty poor turn out, and it will be interesting to see what effect the pandemic has on voter behaviour. Hopefully people will have sent in postal votes rather than opting out altogether, but we shall see.

Personally, I've always rather enjoyed the physical business of voting and I've acted as a polling clerk at three previous elections. Today we've been told to bring our own pens and to wear a mask, and I'm hoping that the polling station will be quiet and well-ventilated when we go there in a few minutes.

-R

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
I received my second dose of Moderna 3 days ago. First day I felt fine and did weightlifting and bike riding with no issue. Second day I had some body soreness and a slightly elevated temperature. So I ended up watching Netflix most of the day while taking it easy. Today I feel much better and pretty much like normal. The only out-of-the-ordinary occurrence was having some weird vaccine induced dreams! :roflmao:

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
I really wish our PM had not cheaped out on the vaccination… they went for Astrazeneca which is known to be less effective than the others, but… he got the Pfizer for himself before anyone else… Sighhh.
The US plans to waive patent protection on both Pfizer and Moderna. Even then, it'll be hard to scale up production for other companies to manufacture and pass clinical approval.

Also it's a bit disappointing here in the US, just in my city (Los Angeles) vaccination appointments are down. When I went to get my second dose, the pharmacists were complaining that nine people had canceled their appointments, with the vaccine doses going to waste with no one to fill those slots.

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
The US plans to waive patent protection on both Pfizer and Moderna.
That would be good. Our labs are gearing up to be able to produce mRNA vaccines but no idea when that is likely to come to fruition. In the meantime there are millions of people at risk, if not already ill, because wealthy countries are hoarding, in spite of the notion that its all being shared.

agentlossing

All-Pro
S. Oregon Coast (the Northernmost-Cal of them All)
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
That would be good. Our labs are gearing up to be able to produce mRNA vaccines but no idea when that is likely to come to fruition. In the meantime there are millions of people at risk, if not already ill, because wealthy countries are hoarding, in spite of the notion that its all being shared.
Yes, we all need to get doses to India, and fast.

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
I have family outside the US, and I feel very concerned that they don't have access to proper vaccines while they're still facing surges with infection. It just annoys me that people here in the US complain how the pandemic has inconvenienced their lives, yet are unwilling to take the proper steps to help end the pandemic by either getting their vaccine or at least wear their masks when in the presence of others.

Last edited:

agentlossing

All-Pro
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I have family outside the US, and I feel very concerned that they don't have access to proper vaccines while they're still facing surges with infection. It just annoys me that people here in the US complain how the pandemic has inconvenienced their lives, yet are unwilling to take the proper steps to help end the pandemic by either getting their vaccine or at least wear their masks when in the presence of others.
The US has certainly been maddening all through, really in both extremes - people refusing to wear masks and bullying supermarket clerks who ask them to, to the people who wear masks out of doors all by themselves and cross to the other side of the street with exaggerated glances of fear and reproach when someone without one nears them on the sidewalk. I just wish people would stop being jerks to one another.

Richard

All-Pro
People wearing face masks under their noses is another good one ...

200.gif

agentlossing

All-Pro
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
A lot of it comes down to the way the news media has primed people to think in absolutes all the time. Masks ought not be controversial because they only provide a percentage effectiveness in combating a disease like covid - but many people only think in binary good/bad yes/no. So you have people arguing the ineffectiveness of masks using the same data as people who trust them implicitly. Truth is gray, people! Life is a matter of degrees.

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
The US has certainly been maddening all through, really in both extremes - people refusing to wear masks and bullying supermarket clerks who ask them to, to the people who wear masks out of doors all by themselves and cross to the other side of the street with exaggerated glances of fear and reproach when someone without one nears them on the sidewalk. I just wish people would stop being jerks to one another.
I ride my bike outdoors every week and I always wear a gaiter around my neck. Usually if no one is around, I keep the gaiter off and enjoy the fresh air, but if I'm near people I put it on as a courtesy to others. Plus I always carry a surgical mask in my drop bar bag if I need to make a quick store run while on the road. All it takes is a bit of common sense and consideration for others. I don't even see it as a problem.
People wearing face masks under their noses is another good one ...

View attachment 257763
My kids call those people the nose hangers! :roflmao:

Harry Cutts

Veteran
Real Name
Harry
I have had both my jabs and still wear a mask, ( comes in handy when you rob a liqueur store ) ;) I lost a good friend 2 weeks ago who was in his 80s, and lost my wife last August, she was only 51. I have also lost my appetite for photography and although I still call in here to catch up and like a few images I don't feel like taking my camera out much anymore. I hope that this will ease as we start to come out of lockdown. Stay safe everyone.

Harry Cutts

Veteran
Real Name
Harry
Thank you for all your kind words. The post wasn't looking for any pity, although I do appreciate the sentiments. It was more of a, how I'm feeling right now , kinda post. On a brighter note, my 18 year old daughter passed her driving test last Friday, so now she will be able to drive her old man around. Like that's going to happen ;)

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom