Coronavirus 2020 🤧

Richard

All-Pro
A neighbour of ours is a senior nurse, who works at a Covid centre near us. She recently told me that the advice she gives to people she vaccinates is, "We're all made differently and we all react in different ways to the vaccine". I asked her if she says, "And don't make any plans for the next day," at which she laughed and said, "That too".

-R

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Also, a doctor from UK told me that by nature, everyone wants what they can’t have - the one everyone where I am seems to be moving away from is AZ as they want the P, but I’m still going to have my mine. 1 in 100,000 chance of it going wrong, I think I’ll take my chances.

Last edited:

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
I think I’ll take my chances.

Do that. Its a walk in the park, more or less. I wanted the Pfizer, being in a high risk group, but apparently not high risk enough. The way I figure it, the AZ shot will do until next year when hopefully Moderna and the TGA have come to some agreement, and maybe Novavax will also be available. And anyone thinking this years vax will do them forever… think again. I reckon its going to be a lot like the flu shot, an annual event. The variants will make it so., just as new flu strains mean we have to get jabbed annually. Best we could hope for is boosters, rather than the two shot regime… but somehow I think thats a bit of a vain hope.

Real Name
Andrew L
Just a short note: It all blew over after more or less exactly 48 hours. I was fine today (exhausted now, but that's got nothing to do with the shot). It's definitely nothing to be overly concerned about; even bearable cases of the illness itself are clearly a lot worse (I have many witnesses to that at hand, unfortunately).

M.
Cause it's not an actual illness, rather, it's your immune system getting hot and bothered.

Real Name
Matt
Cause it's not an actual illness, rather, it's your immune system getting hot and bothered.
Completely agree; I think I'm just a bit bothered by the still ongoing discussions about the "dangers" the vaccination means. There are *some* risks (as Sue pointed out), but they are very improbable. What I experienced simply shouldn't deter *anyone*. Luckily, the number of sceptics is going down - but there are still some who risk a situation like this:

a15cf727-1b31-4c7b-8916-fe1673f4e430_w920_r1.4285714285714286_fpx57.4_fpy50.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The title shows that this appeared a while back - "Soon ...": "Why didn't you get vaccinated?" - "Because you face 24 hours of headaches, tiredness and mild fever" ...

That's it, in a nutshell.

M.

Real Name
Andrew L
There are quite a few rumors going around in my neck of the woods now about underreported "covid vaccination deaths" which is quite discouraging, but in the age of the internet it's not like people to ever change their mind - whatever the line of thinking is there will always be fresh fodder for it to be read on some dumb feed and then circulated.

My reading has led me to thinking that the danger of the virus is mainly that the spike proteins allow the virus to pass the blood-brain barrier in some people, where it shows up in the central nervous system and tends to invade the lung tissue from there. This could be the cause of the neurological symptoms too, down to the loss of taste and smell.

Incidentally, because we chose the spike protein to be the subject of the vaccines, there is a certain (very slight) amount of danger in elements of the vaccine also passing through the blood-brain barrier, which may cause the heightened immune response and the rare extreme symptoms resulting from the shot. This last part is all my conjecture, based on papers about the spike protein. And if course the big difference is that the vaccine isn't introducing a virus which replicates exponentially and takes over the body. But the upshot of my theory is that people who have extreme responses to the shot were the most likely to be gravely ill or be killed by the virus, due to whatever propensity the spike proteins had in their body to invade CNS and brain tissue. Again, just a theory.

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
Well, the Delta variant has now made it to Australia. And the infected individual seems to have done quite a bit of gadding about before diagnosis. fingers crossed they keep it in the box.
Here in Los Angeles, many businesses are open 100% (including much of the US) with mask now an optional requirement. Also the Delta variant now accounts for 10% of infections in the country. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out in the coming months.

Last edited:

wee-pics

Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
The Delta variant is rapidly spreading here in the South of Germany, raising the number of incidence again.
People think that with beginning summer everything is getting back to normal. As if the virus would take a little vacation.
We need to be watchful, careful and considerate. This virus and its mutations will keep us occupied the coming years like the influenza viruses. I'm happy I got the Johnson & Johnson injection (and absolutely no side-effects at all). Feeling a bit safer day by day. In three weeks' time I'll have reached 90%, but even then no reason to become careless.

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
Things have gone somewhat crazy here in Australia. My last post hoped they’d keep it in the box. They didn’t. Its gone everywhere except Tasmania although states other than NSW have not got as many cases. However, Greater Sydney is in lockdown, and the entirety of NSW (my state) is now under various restrictions, none of which are outrageous. I’m due for my second Astrazeneca shot in 12 days, then 2 weeks after that will be maxed on immunity. I’ll be wearing a mask for the forseeable future but will be avoiding crowds in any case. Its like we are back to this time last year. We were promised plenty of vaccine doses and the government did not deliver. Then, its been flapping about with who can get what… Its a complete shambles.

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
Delta variant is starting to become prevalent here in California. The state .gov went to "you don't have to wear your mask..." to "it's highly recommended you wear your mask indoors, vaccinated or not." Also depends where you are in California, some people just don't care and are back to pre-pandemic life while others are taking things cautiously. The vibe I'm getting is that you either received your vaccine or you didn't...tough luck if you get sick. Honestly I just don't feel the compassion here and I don't think most people care what's going on with the rest of the world. 🤔

Real Name
Matt
Delta's taking over here, too (we're at 30%; at the current pace, we'll "be there" in three weeks) - but case numbers are still going down, though not as quickly as they used to. The really bad thing is that Delta seems to be the first variant to really touch the young in terms of consequences. Luckily, some vaccines seem to hold up well enough against it - though not all, which is another piece of bad news.

Anyhow, vaccinations run their course in this country, which at least is encouraging. However, most restrictions have been lifted (yes, indeed - again; remember last year?). Many people have already convinced themselves that the pandemic is over and done with; they're vacationing, going out, what have you; wearing a mask has definitely gone out of fashion. Solidarity? What solidarity? We never had a healthy supply of that anyway if you ask me - selfishness is much more fashionable! Some still are cautious - no way of telling if that's enough; I doubt it.

Being fully vaccinated helps me keep my cool at the moment, but the situation feels uncomfortable once more already. Being used to that doesn't really make it better. At least I'll be allowed to help my parents in Germany move this summer (they're finally getting a place in a retirement community). That comes as a bit of relief for all of us in the family.

All in all, I suspect we'll see another uptick in cases as well - soon. No way of knowing how bad it'll be, but unfortunately, it's not unlikely that we're in for a couple of nasty surprises, fall at the latest. Those fully vaccinated may be able to dodge the bullet. But that doesn't solve the problem, really - or only temporarily, and locally.

We (as in: humanity) need to get the potent vaccines to everyone who wants them as quickly as possible to avoid more of these bad turns. I just hope that more and more people can bring themselves to see it that way - because only then, some politicians might finally see a reason to move in that direction faster than at a dying snail's pace.

M.

Real Name
Andrew L
I heard on our news tonight that a baby has tested positive to Delta in the past 24 hours… they really need to get moving on how to get children vaccinated.
But is that baby really ill? My understanding of most coronaviruses is that young childhood is the 'best' time to have them, as the immune system is the most equipped. Of course, who knows at this point. We do know the news networks love to be alarmist.