Coronavirus 🤧

Name
Martin
Well, Charles, to say it honestly, nobody is safe from infection, no matter how many boosters one gets.
But at least it prevents me from months of intensive care and artificial respiration if I'm infected. Is that relative security not worth the boosters ... if necessary once a year like with inflenza?
I'm a high risk person because of a cancer operation and 11 months of chemotherapy in 2005 .
As you can see I cheated the hangman pretty well and still try to keep him as far away from me as possible.
That's my reason for boosters.
Everyone should be happy according to his own façon.

BTW, my sister-in-law caught it two years ago and has been suffering from long-Covid ever since.
So I can see daily what the effects are: extremely rapid exhaustion, loss of smell and taste, etc., etc., etc.
Well said, Walter!

Jonathan F/2

All-Pro
Name
Jonathan
Sorry to hear this and I wish all of you a speedy recovery

Thanks! I'm okay I'm just more concerned about my kids and their well-being. They already had way too much downtime during the height of the pandemic. We've had to resort to weekly tutoring just to make sure they keep up with their studies.

My wife lost her smell and most of her taste, it was slow coming back to regular (a couple months). It's an odd, and disconcerting, symptom. But it should return! Hope you guys are all able to take it easy and feel better very soon.

I'm in no rush, I figure it'll probably be a good reason to eat super flavorful and spicy food (like Indian cuisine) to make up the loss of smell! My tastebuds seem okay!

rayvonn

Hall of Famer
Covid.jpg

donlaw

Legend
Name
Don
Well, Charles, to say it honestly, nobody is safe from infection, no matter how many boosters one gets.
But at least it prevents me from months of intensive care and artificial respiration if I'm infected. Is that relative security not worth the boosters ... if necessary once a year like with inflenza?
I'm a high risk person because of a cancer operation and 11 months of chemotherapy in 2005 .
As you can see I cheated the hangman pretty well and still try to keep him as far away from me as possible.
That's my reason for boosters.
Everyone should be happy according to his own façon.

BTW, my sister-in-law caught it two years ago and has been suffering from long-Covid ever since.
So I can see daily what the effects are: extremely rapid exhaustion, loss of smell and taste, etc., etc., etc.
My wife got it in Aug 2020 (she is an ICU nurse) and still suffers from a serious and complex set of long covid symptoms. This year everyone in the family got the Omicron subvarient, including her. All of us were up on our boosters and had mild cases, except my wife who with damaged lungs from the original infection had a hard time fighting it off. The good news is the treatments have improved. I still worry about the immunodeficient, so always were a mask and wash hands when around crowds.

Irene,

Please, you and your crew take care...I went back to school this week only to find out that four of my students in one class are out with one or more of the COVID variants. I dodged a bullet with the bacterial pneumonia, but I don't want to play with another set of viruses at this point, so it is N95 mask-up before I walk into the buildings with +2000 staff/students each and every day.

Regards,

Edd

Name
Andrew
Exactly! I’ve lost 12 pounds because most foods have little to no taste except the salt. I’m overweight so no problem on the loss; it’s just strange. Thanks for sharing about your daughter.
I lost around the same amount of weight, even without altered taste; just didn't want much food. It's not all bad, though, I've kept it off.

I'm hungry all the time!
COVID went that way for me as well. During the infection's acute phase I was eating 4000 calories a day whilst also losing about 500 g a day. Presumably much of the hunger since then has been my body's repair demands though, from what I can tell, the virus's neurological damage also kind of broke that part of the digestive nervous system. So I'm often hungrier than is reasonable. Choosing calories for recovery while avoiding calories to fat has been challenging.

I had it in July and my taste remains awkward. Everything tastes very salty.
I got the metallics, after the basal virus as well as after the first three vaccine doses. This fourth dose (second booster) has actually been fine for that. I hope you eventually experience some return towards more normal levels of saltiness.

Richard

All-Pro
It looks like the title of the thread needs updating, as we have an unwelcome visitor in the house. My partner and I have been coughing and spluttering a bit since Sunday, she's been testing for Covid every day but kept getting a negative result until today (Wednesday), when there was a thick red line on the display. That may be because she swabbed her tonsils as well as her nostrils for the first time today.

We either picked it up on the plane home on 29th or at a party with neighbours on 30th.

I've just looked up the current most common symptoms for Covid (ZOE Health Study, 30 days to Dec 5th) and the top ten goes like this:

1) a sore throat (yes, throughout)
2) a runny nose (a bit)
3) a blocked nose (a bit)
4) sneezing (a bit)
5) a cough without phlegm (yes)
6) a headache (yes, at the start)
7) a cough with phlegm (not yet)
8) a hoarse voice (this was the very first symptom)
9) muscle aches and pains (yes, not so much now) (and more finger, wrist and hip joints than muscles)
10) an altered sense of smell (not yet)

Not mentioned on the Zoe list, but experienced by both of us:

tired/lethargic
minor chest pains
slight difficulty breathing
temperature up and down

I'm taking it easy, drinking and eating things which are supposed to be good for me and staying warm. I don't want to tempt fate, but I've had regular colds which were much worse than this.

-R