Fuji Could my X-E1 be dying?

battleaxe

Regular
How can I tell if my camera is dying or the scene is just throwing off the camera? Like my example is I was trying to photograph some words on a grayish-olive green traffic light post, and my X-E1 most of the time underexpose the image at least by 2 to 2-1/2 stops. I was in auto mode and manual adjust exposure with the dial did nothing, as did changing aperture. I had to manually adjust shutter speed to get the right exposure. The sun was out, and I wasn't in the shade. I don't remember this happening before. Could this be a sign my X-E1 is slowing dying or due to the scene? Thank you.

From your description, I'd hazard a guess that - if the traffic light post is a light-ish colour - the lightness of the post could simply have been reflecting the ambient brightness, and fooling the meter (you've stated that you weren't in shade).

My x-E1 sometimes exhibits similar behaviour, so I don't think that yours necessarily has a problem. However, I would suggest that you carry out some co-ordinated tests, to establish whether there is a fault, rather than relying on a single example. I'd be interested to hear the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Porchard (above post) described it well. I don't think there is anything really broken on your camera (Battleaxe). I have had two X-E1's and both have had those odd-ball occasions where they seemed confused about the light, and I could not manually correct it at that moment.

If you run into it again, try changing the scene just a little as a test. Face it from just a little different angle or perspective, and see if the meter does not report it differently or "correct" in it's appraisal.

For me, it's a somewhat occasional occurrence, and while it can be frustrating when your trying to pop an image of something rather spontaneously, I have learned that it's a occasional inherent quirk that is "situational" and perhaps rare. If I can, I just change my footing a little bit and it can clear it up by changing what the camera sees by just a little bit.

The XE-1 is still a home-run shooter in my book (and my only Fuji body), and it continues to marvel me at the images it has the ability to "harvest".
As I am sure you have experienced, when it's "on" and all things are in favor, the images can be rather award winning or satisfying. Yes, there are those times when it yields a rather quirky nature, but I have learned to accept that and still find it a more artistic tool than the Canons and Nikons I left behind... it reminds me to shoot "slow" and enjoy the moment, rather than just seeing how fast I can click the trigger like I once did with full size sensor bodies that had even larger quirks and ticks (AA filters).

I would also be interested in how it goes the next time you might run into that.

I would echo unstable_rider's comments... and this comment, in particular:

there are those times when it yields a rather quirky nature, but I have learned to accept that and still find it a more artistic tool than the Canons and Nikons I left behind... it reminds me to shoot "slow" and enjoy the moment, rather than just seeing how fast I can click the trigger like I once did with full size sensor bodies that had even larger quirks and ticks (AA filters).

(y)

My x-E1 sometimes exhibits similar behaviour, so I don't think that yours necessarily has a problem. However, I would suggest that you carry out some co-ordinated tests, to establish whether there is a fault, rather than relying on a single example. I'd be interested to hear the results.
Any suggestions on a what coordinated test I could try?

Hello, Battleaxe.

For me, I think it has been in pretty clear situations of dark vs. light.

I think it may be something to do with distance-to-target, or shooting or attempting to shoot at things relatively close to me. I don't think I have had it occur during landscape type shots, it is more likely I see it during attempts to image closer objects.

Here is kind of what I am talking about. My riding chum "Herm" is wearing white or very light gray attire. His rather sleek racing hair cut (bald like me) is also reflecting a great deal of light.

But over half the shot or subject matter is within a shadow. The lens likely grabbed the nose of the bike as a focus point, as that seems is the about the sharpest spot in the image.

I think sometimes a situation like this might throw it off, or if I would have been standing in the shade shooting out of it, that also might have caused a stumble or reaction like you are having.

I think my experience like you are describing has been at distances-to-subject matter like this and CLOSER.

Just an idea-- maybe go find some intense shade vs. light and shoot some tests into it and out of it?

light dark.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the meantime, if and when I get out next I will certainly be watching for the same glitch you speak of and document the specifics of it, as I have seen it happen before.

~ Paul

I'm not sure about either of those points, sorry. I know sometimes, maybe once a year or so I dig around in the menus and do a mass "revert or return to factory settings" to get rid of possible custom-gremlins I may have caused myself.. it can cure some woes.

Yeah I think my X-E1 is going bad as last night it was working fine(af issues in low light aside). But, today I turned it on and the camera said to turn off camera and then turn it back on again. Did that a few times nothing. Took out the battery, tried different battery still the same thing. Any ideas?

Edit: Update, I think my 27mm is going bad? My camera works fine with the 18-55mm, but errors with the 27mm. I take it my 27mm needs to either be fixed or replaced(since it's so affordable)? I plant to go to my local camera store just to test out my 27mm on other Fuji cameras just to make sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the 27mm. Mine did the same. The most common fault is that the lens assembly is not focussing correctly. That's the error the camera throws in those circumstances. It cost about £60 to repair.

Is that the cost to repair at fuji? Im in the states, so how much will it cost to repair here? Maybe all my problems are related to that lens as that's my day to day combo.

So, I sent in my 27mm in today to get serviced. Now, I am still curious to see if my X-E1 has a problem or was it all related to the 27mm being bad? I did a test with my Panasonic GM1+14mm of a similar subject in similar lighting and that didn't have that problem. Yes, I know focal lengths are different, and exposure algorithm has some affect on this, but still in the back of mine I'm wondering why my GM1 is doing a better job than my X-E1 on this. I like Fuji too much to go back to m43 as my main shooter, but cases like this have me wondering. I would get a X-E2 seeing as prices are pretty good for body only models, but personally would rather get the X-E3 once that come out in the used market.

Back