Countdown

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
has started to enter a new year.
What new stuff will 2011 bring to us?
I expect (hope): semi prof mft cameras, more megapixel sensors, retro come back, 3D cameras, connectivity to social networks, wifi, gps, self learning settings, speaking cameras, price drop, new lenses, apps platform for cameras.
What you expect?

Hmm, what do I expect? Is this strictly camera related, Herman?;) OK, I expect a great deal of feedback and numerous posts and threads across the photography related internet about the Fuji X100!:D

"Speaking cameras" - probably so.:crying:

And more news should be coming from the Foveon sensor cameras!:popcorm2:

Be very excited to see what happens with the Fuji x100, but don't think it will be a purchase until 2012.

Also keen to see what happens with Sigma. The SD1 might spell the end for my current dSLR set-up - best not talk brand names, but suffice it to say it's got one of those out-dated Bayer sensor things in it :rolleyes: Seriously, like to see if the bigger Foveon (40MP) sensor makes it into a DP body. I mean Sigma were first to get a big sensor into a compact body....so I trust it will be the first to get a BIG (FF) sensor into a compact body. OK, OK, there is Leica but I'd like to think for a punter like me that the M9 doesn't quite count! :blush:

some predictions

1.)Canon will introduce 2 new cameras that will mount EOS lenses. The first will be a mirrorless camera with an APS-C sized sensor to compete with m4/3 and Sony NEX. The second will be a semi pro level video camera with an APS-C sized sensor that unlike the current DSLR that shoot video will be a video camera first and a stills camera second.

2.)Samsung will continue to dive deep into compact cameras. Will make a fixed lens camera similar to the Fuji X100 but will have an f/1.8 lens instead of an f/2 lens and cost less

3.)Sadly film will continue it's decline and film processing will become harder and harder to get. In most places 1 hour film developing if it is not already will be gone

4.)Google will buy flickr from the ashes of Yahoo

5.)Tablet Computers running Android will be customized for photographers and provide in the field backup, RAW processing, and image review. Will also have Wi-Fi and 4G so you can upload to facebook and flickr from anywhere. Would not surprised if Samsung makes this using it's AMOLED screen technology

6.)All the big camera makers will start putting WiFi into their cameras

7.)serious compact cameras will continue to grow and expand market share. Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung will lead the way with Canon, and Nikon following

I would like a modular camera, back back of retro cameras, a Volks (everyone's) Medium Format camera from Rollei, an updated 007 (mini) camera from Minox, new compact and DSLR from Sigma, pocket camcorders with optical zoom and larger sensor.

It's Friday Dec 31, am I dreamin'...

I do not know what will come next year, because somehow I cannot find my crystal ball. However, I guess, that Nikon will release the successor of the D3 series, namely the D4. Most probably they will release the successor of the D700 and D300, too. But nobody knows any details.

Canon will release the successor of their EOS 5D Mark II. I do not know any details, but I am sure that it will offer more megapixels. They will improve video and there will be much more megapixels and there will be even higher completely useless ISO settings. Did I mention that Canon will increase megapixels?

Olympus will release the E-PL2 and some lenses like a 50mm macro. They will release a E-P3, too.

I will go on, when I have found my crystal ball.

Back