Sony Couple of questions on the FDA-EV1MK viewfinder

RobertA

Rookie
Any eyeglass wearer owning one out there ?
Is the field of view complete if you look at it with the eyecup while wearing glasses ?
What would you consider a good price for a used one ?
TIA
Bob

I wear eyeglasses. I use the smaller of the two eyecups. The field of view is not complete unless I move my eye around, but not much is missing. I bought my EVF new, and I have not followed the prices of used EVFs. However, I consider the EVF to be indispensable. I have not taken mine off since I bought it, about 18 months ago.

Yeah, as with Chris, small eyepiece works well enough with glasses, large eyepiece really gets in the way. I don't find it indispensable in that I used to shoot a lot with it and without it, but I don't think I'd want an RX1 without the option to use it sometimes. Occasionally it's nice to take it off and go really small though, and Sony's "sunny weather" setting (or whatever they call it) for the LCD brightens it up enough to see well in almost any conditions... I've seen them used in the $350 range whenever I last looked, but that was a while ago, so maybe a bit less now?

-Ray

If you look around hard enough, you may find a used one in the $200-$250 range. The camera is "usable" without one, but I consider it essential. And it makes the camera more enjoyable to use.

I use it with eye-glasses and don't remember any problems but again I use RX100/gm5 evf's which are much smaller and OK with the size. The RX100 lcd was dark in light so it needs to be turned to summer mode like Ray said, eg it might be Sony setting. I used RX1 on my vacation without evf and I bought it afterwards. Evf helps also for low light holdability.

I saw the evf as low as $150 which was at popflash. They don't sell Sony, so it was most probably a trade-in with RX1 and priced to sell or mispriced. It was sold same day. They don't normally carry it. You have to be very lucky to catch a deal like that. I bought mine from KEH 1.5 years ago which was above $300. Keh is still selling from $339:
https://www.keh.com/360914/sony-digital-fda-ev1mk-xga-oled-elect-vf-rx1-rx100

I guess these will give you the high end and low end...

Thank you all. I managed to buy a 3 months old perfect used EVF1MK for 280 Euros.
Only tried it once on my RX1R so need to learn more.
One quick question: just adding it to my RX1R seems to have the LCD on and the EVF turning on when I get my face near it but only after a second or so delay.
Is this the way it works ?
I'd prefer a "If EVF1MK is on never turn on the LCD and the EVF1MK always active without a delay (as I'd expect from an OVF). Possible ?

I don't think it is possible to have the EVF always on. As far as I know, there is no way to disable the proximity sensor on the EVF. However, you do have a couple of options for keeping the LCD off until you want it on. The first option is to set "Finder/LCD Setting" to "manual" in the RX1R menu. Then, whether the LCD or EVF is active is controlled by the button on the EVF. (This is how mine is set up.) The second option is to set the function of one of your custom buttons to "Deactivate the LCD."

Did you know that there is an on-line manual (also available as a pdf) for the RX1R? It provides much more information than the simple manual that comes with the camera.

Back