COVID-19 Coronavirus: Agree to Disagree 😧

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
This thread is an offshoot of "Coronavirus 2020" thread. That thread is a great way for us to relate to each other as we deal with the COVID-19 virus but some topics of conversation have become rather contentious. Rather than stifle those quite heated conversations they can & will be moved to this thread. Anybody participating in this thread should expect that that their views and opinions will be countered, disagreed with, and possibly even swayed. Anybody participating in this thread should not expect to have their opinions result in personal attacks. Saying "I disagree with you and here is why..." is fine, saying "I disagree with you and 'your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries'." is not.

Please read this to understand why this thread exists and why any of your posts may get moved into it instead of being edited or deleted in the main thread. This thread is not a 'free-for-all' and while some wider room may be given for people to openly express their opinions it does not mean 'anything goes'.

Our Cameraderie community may be just a microcosm of the world but it is still a community and, just like the real offline world, our community is showing some cracks in regards to a few topics of conversation related to the current pandemic. These cracks extend to our own group of moderators as well. This is a good point for a reminder that our moderators are all community members first, volunteer moderators second. They have their own opinions and are open to express them as much as anybody else does and of course anybody is free to disagree with those opinions. Being a volunteer moderator does not make their opinions any less or any more valid than others.

A number of posts have been reported lately that are all related to the virus. How these reported posts are handled has led to disagreement between several of our moderators, including myself. There have been a few different conversations between the moderators that shows there is a deep divide on some specific topics. There is no point into 'naming names' about who is disagreeing with whom or what the particulars are. Doing so would be just instigating unnecessary drama and, frankly, I'm just too old and cranky to be bothering with drama of any kind.

The bottom line is that every member of our community is valued and nobody should feel that their opinions are being disregarded. At the same time nobody should expect to have their opinions be blindly supported or blindly disagreed with. As long as people are able to express themselves without resorting to making it personal or taking it personal then there is no reason why a bunch of adults can't have an ongoing conversation. Just to be clear, that includes making coy, sarcastic, or subtle remarks and then acting offended when somebody else responds. As a whole, we're a pretty intelligent group and trying to be sly won't work.

These are extremely stressful times and conversations about issues related to the virus and life during a pandemic should and need to be taking place.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010

Wear pants to lower the spread of coronavirus via farting.
They can be cloth.

And urine is better than nothing at surviving a Mustard Gas attack.

What would my Grandad do in times like these? Next time someone farts in the elevator I am going to pee in my sock and wear it as a mask.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
About 2 weeks ago we ordered disposable face masks from walmart.com, yesterday came and went without delivery- even thought the order was marked as being shipped. I suspect "shipped" means the label was generated, as the tracking number shows the package is still in the shippers home state- New York.

These masks were of the type that has demonstrated effectiveness in suppressing the spread of coronavirus:

I still have close to 50 of this type, wearing masks is now mandatory when going to work. I've also read that making disposable masks from material such as disposable Vacuum Cleaner Bags can be effective, something that I also posted about previously as speculation. I even have some Hoover bags in the basement. Effectiveness in filtering small particles is one of the key function of the material used to construct the masks. There is a science to it, I can always ask my wife about these things. I'm the computer engineer, she is the medical engineer. I visualize the size of this virus in terms of the radius of the core of a single-mode fiber used in optical networks. So that's why I ask her about sensible things in this matter.

Proper types of masks are an important device for reducing the spread of this disease. Please post back where you are finding these types of masks, success in getting them.

Last edited:

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
Kevin has setup a second thread for non-medical cloth masks, which do not have the same type of proven effectiveness, here:

That thread is the place for DIY masks using cloth, and other such subjects. You can read about clinical evidence that wearing pants helps reduce the spread of coronavirus and surviving Mustard Gas Attacks in that thread.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I received a very nice, detailed reply from the company that was selling masks through walmart.com-

As we can guess, logistics are somewhat of a mess right now. They are tracking the order.

I will report back on delivery status, I know some others also placed orders to this company after posting about it.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
I received a very nice, detailed reply from the company that was selling masks through walmart.com-

As we can guess, logistics are somewhat of a mess right now. They are tracking the order.

I will report back on delivery status, I know some others also placed orders to this company after posting about it.
I ordered some for our households through Amazon; took about 8 business days for them to show up directly from China. One of the things that really surprised me is that on Friday the 10th they were in China going through Chinese Customs but then they showed up at our place Monday afternoon. We're on the US East Coast so within 48 hours they went from being in China going through the Customs process to the US EC! For the amount they cost versus how much the shipping must've cost them I can't see how they made any profit.

The weird part is that the Amazon link is now gone. When I look in my Amazon order history page the order is there along with the usual item picture, link, and seller name but clicking on the link now results in an Amazon 404 'page not found' error so it was a hard-delete.

These were meant really for my relatives who are working retail that is still open and my FIL when he goes out (though he shoudn't be). For them a disposable mask is easiest to deal with.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
Brian, I was tipped off to this. It is usually used by food service places to sterilize glasses, tables, etc, but it is supposed to be effective against COVID-19 and many other pathogens. Maybe ask your wife.

I now have a good supply of masks since my company mailed me a huge care package from Hong Kong. But I still reuse them.

I make a solution of Steramine according to instructions on the bottle, one tablet per gallon of water. Then I take the used masks, soak them in the solution for about 20 minutes, and hang them up to dry.

I am able to use one mask many times, and I'm certain anything on them has been killed.

PS: I also ordered masks from WalMart and received them in 4 days. But that was three weeks ago.

Jonathan F/2

Top Veteran
Aug 21, 2011
Los Angeles, USA
Brian, I was tipped off to this. It is usually used by food service places to sterilize glasses, tables, etc, but it is supposed to be effective against COVID-19 and many other pathogens. Maybe ask your wife.

I now have a good supply of masks since my company mailed me a huge care package from Hong Kong. But I still reuse them.

I make a solution of Steramine according to instructions on the bottle, one tablet per gallon of water. Then I take the used masks, soak them in the solution for about 20 minutes, and hang them up to dry.

I am able to use one mask many times, and I'm certain anything on them has been killed.

PS: I also ordered masks from WalMart and received them in 4 days. But that was three weeks ago.
Can the steramine solution be used in a spray bottle or do I need to dip the items in the solution? Also what kind of masks are you dipping for 20 minutes? Are you using washable masks?

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I put the Steramine solution in spray bottles for disinfection of shopping carts, etc.

I fill a bowl with it, and dip in ordinary paper masks. They soak and you can hang them up to dry.

Kevin

Code Monkey 🐒
Nov 3, 2018
Can the steramine solution be used in a spray bottle or do I need to dip the items in the solution?
As @M. Valdemar said, you can do both. Restaurants will use Steramine pills at their dish washing stations (typically 3 sinks, wash, rinse, sanitize) but it's also used in spray bottles for wiping down touch areas by a lot of different service industries. Steramine turns the water blue as a visible alert to handlers so it isn't confused for plain water; if you've ever seen somebody wiping down surfaces using a cloth and a spray bottle containing a blue liquid, it was likely Steramine.

The primary active ingredient in Stermine is "Quaternary Ammonium" which is on the US EPA's list of recommended disinfectants for COVID-19. It's not the only service industry sanitizing product but it is a commonly used brand ("Steramine" is a brand, not the ingredient).

My familiarity with it comes from owning an ice cream shop at a local farmer's market one summer and the local health inspectors recommended it by name. I just checked the website of the supplier I was using back then and their pricing for a 150 count bottle is cheaper than Amazon but they're out of stock and only accepting email signups to be alerted when in stock again.

We did not use it for sanitizing cloth so I'll totally defer to M. and his experience with it. Just make sure if you're going to use it on something like a mask that it is completely dry. If you end up buying any note that Steramine 1G and Steramine 6Q has different pill-to-water ratios.

Briar

All-Pro
Oct 27, 2010
Scotland
Karen
Well I guess that’s what happens if you have a government that allows/encourages the sale of guns. Now, if only they had encouraged the right to bear cameras instead of guns the streets would have been filled with people shooting portraits instead of shooting people dead. Funny old world we live in.

Nov 11, 2011
Milwaukee, WI USA
Luke
Well I guess that’s what happens if you have a government that allows/encourages the sale of guns. Now, if only they had encouraged the right to bear cameras instead of guns the streets would have been filled with people shooting portraits instead of shooting people dead. Funny old world we live in.
I knew things were bad when about a month ago when people started panicking about toilet paper, I was driving home from the grocery store and saw a line of people outside a gun store. People LITERALLY waiting in line to buy guns and ammunition.

It's a crazy world we live in......and in America it's crazy AND violent.

Latest threads

Top Bottom