COVID-19 Coronavirus: Agree to Disagree 😧

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
I think the trick (if I can call it that because it's probably just dumb luck) is to catch the virus sufficiently that you get the antibodies, but not so much that it (a) kills you, or (b) leaves you in a weakened condition for when it has another go at you later.

-R
And then you can go about infecting others. Do some reading on the requirements for herd immunity. It only works when most of the population is vaccinated. And theres no vaccine (nor likely to be one, IMO). Seriously, do NOT make efforts to catch it. Even if you dont get sick, others around you might, and that is just not fair.

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Jan 31, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Sue
I've been taking Vitamin Supplements and following precautions - so we will see how effective they are.

I get the test done tomorrow at 11:16. Stay in the car, they time down to the minute. All setup over the phone. By Monday I'm hoping to report status. I'm more concerned about the family than myself. Hopefully- I dodge this bullet. I tell my wife that there was much less chance of exposure at work than at the grocery store. But- knowing the person tested positive weighs heavy. That person is at home, minor symptoms. It's hard to tell early symptoms from allergies, the pollen here is so heavy it filled in cracks in the road after the rain dries up.
Good luck, Brian!

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
I have been following the situation in Australia as well as communicating with several friends in Australia.

While the situation in Australia is far better there than in NYC, the virus is not eradicated.

I would still take precautions. We just do not know enough about this thing.

Richard

All-Pro
Feb 1, 2013
Marlow, UK
And then you can go about infecting others. Do some reading on the requirements for herd immunity. It only works when most of the population is vaccinated. And theres no vaccine (nor likely to be one, IMO). Seriously, do NOT make efforts to catch it. Even if you dont get sick, others around you might, and that is just not fair.
I wasn't advocating that people deliberately try to catch coronavirus. Not at all. Just saying that if you do accidentally catch it and you don't get killed or suffer long-term health problems, if you're then immune in the future that's a good outcome. That's the dumb luck part, some people are getting through this with minor symptoms (or none at all) and some are suffering with weeks and months of debilitating sickness, and some are dying of course.

My partner and I have been keeping outselves as isolated as possible through all this as there's no predicting which category we're going to fall into, and we have at least one very vulnerable family member. So we're being careful.

And I have been doing a lot of reading about all this. Possibly too much.

-R

Last edited:

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
That Nikkor is a great lens, and on mirrorless is easy to use down to 18" close focus.

The uncertainty in this virus is nerve racking. Trying to differentiate early symptoms from allergies is impossible for the individual- which is why my friend came to work. For me- so far, no fever or other symptoms. Told my wife that the virus probably could not withstand one of my chain-reaction sneezing fits if it had gotten into me. The test is scheduled for today, hopefully by Monday will know the results.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
That's the lens I just got and told you about. It's in gorgeous condition. Not even a tiny mark on it, crystal-clear. It feels like it was lubricated yesterday.

Brian, I have been through the whole gamut of paranoia with this virus. All month, every tiny scratch in my throat, any eye redness or itching, any weird ache or pain has sent me to Google looking for symptoms. I take my temperature 5 times a day. I bought a Pulse Oximeter for $38 (great purchase, well worth it), and I monitor my blood oxygen. I have to control myself to not become a nervous wreck.

The odds are way in your favor. Every day that goes by without any fever or symptom is good.

I just try to take it easy and not worry. I went out with my daughter and son shopping and I was very careful. I felt like I had to go out and get some exercise and sunlight. I was very careful what I touched.

Unfortunately, it's human nature to get very worried. If you and your co-worker were both wearing masks and keeping a reasonable distance, the likelihood of infection is low.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I mostly worry about passing it on to my wife and daughter. Nikki is considered "High Risk"- at one time our pediatrician had to contact the CDC to get an antibiotic released for her to use. Aftermath of years of surgery and medication. I suspect she's outgrown a lot of that now- but it was awful. Strep throat was a major problem: one time they put all of us on antibiotics "by permission of the CDC" so that Nina and I would not get it from her and pass it back.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I had the test done- will be about 2 days to get the results. Apparently they Text the results to your cell phone. I know my phone is capable of receiving a text. Guess I'll break my standard texting protocol where people write the message on a sticky paper on put it inside my flip phone.

The test ran about 45 minutes late- it simply takes longer to do, with the providers scrubbing down and changing gloves so often. Told them I've never seen two people work so hard. Temperature is all normal, and took a 2mile walk before coming in. We live in a secluded neighborhood. I will be surprised if the test comes back positive- but this virus is nothing but a surprise.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
"Patient First" called me with the test results: they were negative. This, and no symptoms- wearing a mask and using gloves makes a difference. "Significant contact"- my friend that tested positive was working on my computer in my office to restore EMail. Close enough and long enough to know that the 6ft rule, masks, gloves, etc- are for a reason. In my case- feel like I dodged a bullet that would have hit my family. My friend is through the worst of it, was on an inhaler at home.

Too funny- the paperwork states that the results come in via a text message on your phone, with instructions to follow to get the results. They called the land-line, very nice woman to deliver the results verbally. I cleared out the 29 text messages that have been sent to the phone over the last few years, figured out how to delete them. As opposed to reading them. But- I would have taken this one.

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
The nurse that called last evening was very nice, and very reassuring. Spent some time talking, maybe everybody else prefers a text message? I stated that the mask, gloves, and distancing made a difference, she told me "Of course they do, otherwise all of us in the health care industry would have this thing by now." No argument from me.

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
New York City
According to the Bible, this is what we're worth: (my market value is quickly decreasing)

Leviticus 27:1-5.
“God told Moses to instruct the Israelites that when anyone vows to offer God the value of a human being, the following scale would apply:
for a man from 20 to 60 years of age, 50 shekels of silver;
for a woman 20 to 60 years of age, 30 shekels;
for a boy from 5 to 20 years, 20 shekels;
for a girl from 5 to 20 years, 10 shekels;
for a boy 1 month to 5 years, 5 shekels;
for a girl 1 month to 5 years, 3 shekels;
for a man 60 years or over, 15 shekels;
for a woman 60 years or over, 10 shekels.”

agentlossing

Top Veteran
According to the Bible, this is what we're worth: (my market value is quickly decreasing)

Leviticus 27:1-5.
“God told Moses to instruct the Israelites that when anyone vows to offer God the value of a human being, the following scale would apply:
for a man from 20 to 60 years of age, 50 shekels of silver;
for a woman 20 to 60 years of age, 30 shekels;
for a boy from 5 to 20 years, 20 shekels;
for a girl from 5 to 20 years, 10 shekels;
for a boy 1 month to 5 years, 5 shekels;
for a girl 1 month to 5 years, 3 shekels;
for a man 60 years or over, 15 shekels;
for a woman 60 years or over, 10 shekels.”
That's the definition of a deep cut!

BrianS

Legend
Jul 7, 2010
I always wondered how Doctors got the Lab Mice to smoke cigarettes during the 60s for cancer tests.

You might be able to follow these directions to make a dual-use mask for the mice and for Barbie.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Top Bottom