COVID-19 Coronavirus: Agree to Disagree 😧

M. Valdemar

Veteran
Who is that masked man??

DOOR NUMBER 4: RESPIRATORY DROPLETS, UNMASKED- YES! BING BING BING! ENJOY THAT SEA-DOO!

Now you're cooking with gas! The virus spreads via droplets. Wearing a mask significantly reduces transmission. Staying at least 6 feet apart significantly reduces transmission. Homemade cloth masks filter out particles pretty well, even aerosols (7).

I'd love a spin on the jet ski, thanks for offering.

original-2.jpg

Last edited:

wee-pics

All-Pro
Real Name
Walter
q. e. d.
But I wouldn't have needed a scientific study for that, common sense and the daily replies of those people when one requests them to put on the mask would have been proof enough.

RichardC

Rookie
Real Name
Richard
q. e. d.
But I wouldn't have needed a scientific study for that, common sense and the daily replies of those people when one requests them to put on the mask would have been proof enough.

I wear a mask where I am obliged to. It's a legal requirement in shops etc here. You can't pick and choose laws which you like and laws which you don't.

At all other times, I'm mask free. Not because my brain is impaired, but because I tested positive for COVID back in May.

Now, they say it's possible to contract it twice, and indeed over 20 people have. However, out of 43million+ cases, those aren't bad odds, so I'm enjoying the fresh air for as long as it's legal to do so.

bartjeej

Hall of Famer
Real Name
bart
I wear a mask where I am obliged to. It's a legal requirement in shops etc here. You can't pick and choose laws which you like and laws which you don't.

At all other times, I'm mask free. Not because my brain is impaired, but because I tested positive for COVID back in May.

Now, they say it's possible to contract it twice, and indeed over 20 people have. However, out of 43million+ cases, those aren't bad odds, so I'm enjoying the fresh air for as long as it's legal to do so.
2 things to be mindful of:
- if your first case was a mild one, your body didn't kick into full combat mode and your immune response to a new contagion isn't expected to last as long nor be as powerful as when the first case was heavier; and
- many, many more than 20 people may have had covid twice by now; since testing was so limited in the beginning, many mild cases will have been missed, and many current detected cases may in fact be a second case already

I had a very mild case of covid at the beginning of this month (about 24 hours of sneezing and runny nose, yay for still being youthful). I'm personally not counting on any immunity lasting more than a few weeks. I took advantage of that to visit my grandmother, but now it's back to precautions for me.

agentlossing

Top Veteran
S. Oregon Coast (the Northernmost-Cal of them All)
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I think this is a rather vile and idiotic thing to publish, and just another proof of how polarized we've all gotten. And I say this as someone who will cheerfully wear a mask if it means not having to give up more of my daily freedom of movement.

The tendency to not stick to ideas, but suppose that your opponents are idiots for believing something different, is reprehensible, and something I hope I stay free of, as I try hard to do. We all have so small a part of the big picture that thinking we are the authority, or that someone who disagrees with us is somehow immoral or deficient, is being every bit as bad as we're inclined to believe that "they" are. We're better than this.

Now, I can debate the badness of the idea that wearing a mask is somehow bad for you or depriving you henceforward of your liberty all day long. But surely I'm not the only one who sees the difference between the two approaches to disagreement.

agentlossing

Top Veteran
S. Oregon Coast (the Northernmost-Cal of them All)
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
2 things to be mindful of:
- if your first case was a mild one, your body didn't kick into full combat mode and your immune response to a new contagion isn't expected to last as long nor be as powerful as when the first case was heavier; and
- many, many more than 20 people may have had covid twice by now; since testing was so limited in the beginning, many mild cases will have been missed, and many current detected cases may in fact be a second case already

I had a very mild case of covid at the beginning of this month (about 24 hours of sneezing and runny nose, yay for still being youthful). I'm personally not counting on any immunity lasting more than a few weeks. I took advantage of that to visit my grandmother, but now it's back to precautions for me.
There are different types of immunological response and memory within the body. Short-term antibodies have been the subject of most of the studies that say that you can be reinfected. But there is also a long-term memory imprinted on the immune system, such that while it doesn't keep you from being reinfected, the body is much more capable in mounting an offense and kicking it. Most of the reinfection cases have been much milder as a result. This is in keeping with most similar diseases.

kyteflyer

~@¿@~
Real Name
Sue
Just an FYI. In this area (the HUnter Region of NSW) we have had NO new cases for 2 months (or maybe more, I’ve lost count now) and we have NO active cases at all, and have had none for at least a month. Mask/handwashing/social distancing. It works.

Oh... and we have not become complacent. All the sensible precautions are still in place. I don’t mask up anymore unless asked to do so when entering a store/restaurant. But still carrying sanitiser, and social distancing even when out with friends.

Latest threads

Top Bottom