Fuji Cracked my Giotto Screen Protector

Dave Jenkins

Regular
The Beautiful Northwest Georgia Mountains
Name
Dave Jenkins
Does anyone have experience with the Giotto Schott Glass screen protector for the Fuji X-Pro1? My used X-Pro came with the screen protector already attached, and frankly, I didn't know if it was original equipment or an add-on.

I'm not sure how it happened, but I cracked the screen protector today. Can I remove it and replace it with another protector? If so, how do I go about it?

It isn’t original. Not sure how it’s attached so if you haven’t already, I’d do some more research before trying. I haven’t put a screen protector on since my Nikon D40 and haven’t had a problem but it’s 9ne of those personal preference kinda things if you put another one back on - and what kind.

Most of them (and I have used Giottos on my Nikons and more recently my Fujis), are simply adhesive based on the edges
They are not physically connected at the wide area of the screens.

I cracked one on my XE-1 one summer. 1st trick which usually works - take some dental floss, work it under one edge, saw it back and forth working your way to the middle of the screen. The floss will do no damage to the LCD itself. Work it slowly, and do this on a sturdy desk. I took off the lens, put on the body cap. I pinned the camera on two sides with heavy hardcover books so it would stay put. I gently worked my way under and around until all the adhesive was worked off. About 10 minutes of work. Try to find string floss, I had to hunt around my medicine cabinet. The "tape" floss doesn't work as well.

The glass protectors are worth their cost. I would not replace it with a plastic one. A 15 USD protection beats several hundred dollars repair to replace the LCD. Plus glass protectors have better light transmission/glare reduction than plastic ones.

Back