Animals Curious Young Buck

TNcasual

Top Veteran
The Great Smoky Mountains is the most visted national park in the US. But it is still a big place, full of wildlife. I have been hiking for 20 years in the park, and only a few times have I ever come across any of the large(ish) animals in the park. Once a bear, once some otters, a few times some deer.

This morning I was hiking up Lead Cove Trail. My plan was a simply out and back up to the junction with Bote Mountain. It's not a real popular trail, but also a well used one. So wildlife on this trail is probably not that common, as there are regular hikers. And, the Smokies are a big place. There is plenty of space not on or around hiking trails for the animals to enjoy.

About 3/4 of the way up the trail I was spooked by this young buck foraging on the trail. Pardon the not-so-great shot, I had the D FA 28-105 mounted - not the greatest wildlife lens. Also, I was almost into the low clouds, so lighting was nowhere near ideal.

51796043270_3715d0ff4b_h.jpg

He raised his head, looked at me curiously and slowly moved up the hill off trail, as if to let me pass. I thanked him for the politeness and continue along my way. It was another 5-8 minute uphill climb to my scheduled rest/turnaround spot. I took a few minutes to rest on a stump. Then mounted the DA* 60-250 to try and capture some shots of the distant ridge just coming out of the low clouds. I walked down Bote Mountain trail 75 yards or so looking for a break in the trees for a clear shot.

51794398997_bb1759b341_h.jpg

Then I turned around to head back down happy with another nice hike on a warm January morning. I came around a small bend in the trail, and there he was again. That small buck was coming down the trail right to me. His curious little eyes still trying to figure why I was in his forest.

51796043455_af106a0e55_h.jpg

51796043725_b5fa73833e_h.jpg

Note that he has some very expresive dark eyebrows. As well as some light markings directly below his eyes. Also, he has some interesting spots of white at the top of each hoof.

Again, he kept his eye on me as he slowly made his way off the side of the trail. We had an understanding that we were going different directions, and we needed to pass.

51795443168_80bc9db739_h.jpg

51795436518_1dcf12eaaa_h.jpg

Giving him a few moments, I continued on. As always happens, as I passed where he entered the forest, I saw no sign of him. He simply melted into the winter trees and clouds. I thanked him, under my breath, again for his politeness.

A fun little encounter on another wonderful hike in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

The Great Smoky Mountains is the most visted national park in the US. But it is still a big place, full of wildlife. I have been hiking for 20 years in the park, and only a few times have I ever come across any of the large(ish) animals in the park. Once a bear, once some otters, a few times some deer.

This morning I was hiking up Lead Cove Trail. My plan was a simply out and back up to the junction with Bote Mountain. It's not a real popular trail, but also a well used one. So wildlife on this trail is probably not that common, as there are regular hikers. And, the Smokies are a big place. There is plenty of space not on or around hiking trails for the animals to enjoy.

About 3/4 of the way up the trail I was spooked by this young buck foraging on the trail. Pardon the not-so-great shot, I had the D FA 28-105 mounted - not the greatest wildlife lens. Also, I was almost into the low clouds, so lighting was nowhere near ideal.

View attachment 284665

He raised his head, looked at me curiously and slowly moved up the hill off trail, as if to let me pass. I thanked him for the politeness and continue along my way. It was another 5-8 minute uphill climb to my scheduled rest/turnaround spot. I took a few minutes to rest on a stump. Then mounted the DA* 60-250 to try and capture some shots of the distant ridge just coming out of the low clouds. I walked down Bote Mountain trail 75 yards or so looking for a break in the trees for a clear shot.

View attachment 284667

Then I turned around to head back down happy with another nice hike on a warm January morning. I came around a small bend in the trail, and there he was again. That small buck was coming down the trail right to me. His curious little eyes still trying to figure why I was in his forest.

View attachment 284669

View attachment 284670

Note that he has some very expresive dark eyebrows. As well as some light markings directly below his eyes. Also, he has some interesting spots of white at the top of each hoof.

Again, he kept his eye on me as he slowly made his way off the side of the trail. We had an understanding that we were going different directions, and we needed to pass.

View attachment 284671

View attachment 284672

Giving him a few moments, I continued on. As always happens, as I passed where he entered the forest, I saw no sign of him. He simply melted into the winter trees and clouds. I thanked him, under my breath, again for his politeness.

A fun little encounter on another wonderful hike in The Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
Nicely done! Been hiking in the Smoky mountains for over 50 years. we haven’t been since COVID. Hope to visit in the spring. Thanks for sharing.

Back