Curved monitor for photo editing?

Jonathan F/2

All-Pro
Name
Jonathan
Does anyone use a curve monitor for photo editing? I'm thinking of replacing my dual 27" monitor setup with a single 4K 32" curved monitor. Does anyone have issues with photo editing on a curved monitor? With a looming stay-at-home order in our city, everyone in my family will be going to school and work online. I figure this is a good way to trickle my current monitors to the kids/wife, while allowing me to upgrade! :D Any opinions and/or recommendations welcomed!

I use a Samsung curved monitor, I forget the size (smaller than 32"), and have no problems at all. It's a very gentle curve so it doesn't create any distortion or anything else to make editing difficult. I like the curve!

Hey what do you guys/gals think of refresh rates? The prices of monitors equipped with QHD (2K) w/144hz and 4K w/60hz is about the same. In order to get 4K + 144hz refresh rate, the price jumps up significantly more. For editing would a QHD + 144hz refresh rate be better or shoud I go 4K w/60hz refresh?

Hey what do you guys/gals think of refresh rates? The prices of monitors equipped with QHD (2K) w/144hz and 4K w/60hz is about the same. In order to get 4K + 144hz refresh rate, the price jumps up significantly more. For editing would a QHD + 144hz refresh rate be better or shoud I go 4K w/60hz refresh?
Refresh rate won't mean anything for photo editing. 4k60 is a solid choice.

Just be aware some people may have issues viewing curved monitors. Maybe just certain monitors.

I do fine with flat screens. Even the craptastic 27" HP sprawlmart special I am using for now.

The curved monitor I tried (Samsung) caused enough eye strain that I had headaches approaching migraine strength with less than an hour of viewing.

Refresh rate won't mean anything for photo editing. 4k60 is a solid choice.
Refresh rate has next to no influence on monitors unless you're gaming.

Okay great, I wasn't sure if it'd make a difference for general photo editing work. I was thinking about getting into PC gaming, but that'll dip into my camera fund! Though my son has been asking about a PS5... ;)

Okay great, I wasn't sure if it'd make a difference for general photo editing work. I was thinking about getting into PC gaming, but that'll dip into my camera fund! Though my son has been asking about a PS5... ;)
Good luck getting a new console! I've had the 4K Xbox One X since it came out, I would love to upgrade for the insanely fast SSD tech in the new generation, but finding one is quite literally impossible. New console generations already had an air of unobtanium at first, coming out during a pandemic certainly doesn't help!

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I ended up scoring a good deal on a pair of Samsung curved monitors through Costco, during Cyber Monday deals. I tried them out and found it too weird so I gave the monitors to my kids! I was planning to upgrade their screens anyways, so it worked out! :D

Back