Sports Cutting it close! (bicycle racing)

I stopped by my favorite corner at the Tour of Somerville bicycle race (the oldest bicycle race in the country, I beleive). I've taken some good photos from this corner, like this one several years ago.
2023-05-30_11-39-01.jpg

This time, I shot more video and captured this photographer leaning in a little close...

How close do you get to the action?

I've seen some nasty accidents on the Tour de France coverage when people taking photographs have impeded the riders. It doesn't end well for anyone. That said, it's usually amateur photographers or just spectators with phones who turn their backs to the approaching riders in order to take a selfie. I seem to remember a woman in France being prosecuted for that a few years ago. I think she was holding up a placard too - "Hi Mom" or suchlike :doh:

Professional photographers don't tend to get in harm's way, but sometimes, yes, they get pretty close!

-R

I've seen some nasty accidents on the Tour de France coverage when people taking photographs have impeded the riders. It doesn't end well for anyone. That said, it's usually amateur photographers or just spectators with phones who turn their backs to the approaching riders in order to take a selfie. I seem to remember a woman in France being prosecuted for that a few years ago. I think she was holding up a placard too - "Hi Mom" or suchlike :doh:

Professional photographers don't tend to get in harm's way, but sometimes, yes, they get pretty close!

-R
yes, it happens too frequently in professional cycling. I've watched the Tour de France in person in the Alps and the Pyrenees and also tried to get close but not too close and not to the point of distracting the riders.

This is the placard lady I was thinking of. She wasn't taking a photo, just hoping to get picked up on the TV cameras (which she was) ...

If I recall, she went into hiding for a few days before turning herself into authoities.

Many of the riders involved had to abandon the tour. These kinds of injuries can end a racing season for the unlucky victims and potentially change the trajectory of their careers. I think about this when I shoot and never strive to become the story.

If I recall, she went into hiding for a few days before turning herself into authoities.

Many of the riders involved had to abandon the tour. These kinds of injuries can end a racing season for the unlucky victims and potentially change the trajectory of their careers. I think about this when I shoot and never strive to become the story.
Yes! Gosh ... I do remember this big accident very well; this was the 2021 TdF. We were fortunate to watch the Mulhouse stage of the TdF in 2019

WB_FUJA5324 Mulhouse Tour de France cyclists.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've been watching the Tour de France Femmes this week - what is it about the Netherlands and Belgium that produce such impressive bicycling talent (men and women).

Back