Leica CV 15mm f4.5 V III

rflove

Veteran
Removed vertical distortion (shot it looking down on the city) and cropped it to conserve as much a possible of the original image.

CV15mmf4.5-1002852.jpg

It's amazing, looking at those massive structures, how much ground space is wasted with above-ground parking and the like.

You are absolutely right. This is a problem in the development of Atlanta. This city like many others in the South and other parts of the US are very car dependent as the public transportation is very limited. It was much easier and cheaper to build them like that on cheap land back in the day. Even now those parking lots are cash cows. The Atlanta metropolitan area is a huge sprawling development. Only recently in the last 10 or so years the denser development is taking place along with gentrification of many areas and a huge boom of new apartment and mixed use buildings going up.

I remember when they built the bypasses - to steer around the metro area. Heh - now I'm in a small town locked in by bridges, and it's growing like a weed. We widened the roads, and it got worse.

Make me wonder if anyone will have the guts to invest in truly pubic transportation, and ban personal cars. There are so many plus's to an idea like that.
Wasn't it Ben Franklin who said "Those who would give up freedom for security deserve neither"?

When public transportation becomes available and usable and driving becomes very expensive and inconvenient, people will willingly give up driving around and wasting time, money and polluting the environment. However, in places like Atlanta it's night impossible to function without an automobile.

When public transportation becomes available and usable and driving becomes very expensive and inconvenient, people will willingly give up driving around and wasting time, money and polluting the environment. However, in places like Atlanta it's night impossible to function without an automobile.

I'm all for great public transit, but most people who also are on board are not seeing the long-term tradeoffs. As "society" has progressed toward greater dependency on city infrastructure, we have disaster scenarios building because of same. For instance, there are 20 million people in the greater L.A. basin, and in a major quake (which will happen soon enough) the 10 thousand semis that bring food in every day, won't. Just as bad is a financial crash - in 1929, most people in most cities had gardens, access to farms or stored food, etc. But today we cannot have a crash - we simply cannot under any circumstances, because those 10 thousand semi trucks won't be rolling. I'm not a survivalist, because storing food for 30 days or whatever will just stave off the inevitable. People need to have other options when the core transit system isn't running, or the power goes off. Now, the car industry is huge. Think about an efficient transit system and how many things will get in the way of that ever functioning reliably enough to make absolutely certain I can get to work every day, on time, in every locale. Politics, contracts, strikes .....

And I even toned down the highlights. :D

With that type of image, I usually change the gamma, or use curves, then maybe add local contrast and/or reduce the reds. But those are all compromises of one kind or another, which can add the appearance of greater detail, but actually there's probably less real detail after the changes.

With that type of image, I usually change the gamma, or use curves, then maybe add local contrast and/or reduce the reds. But those are all compromises of one kind or another, which can add the appearance of greater detail, but actually there's probably less real detail after the changes.

I'm sure I can do more and/or different post processing with that file. I might revise it prior to printing it. I kind of liked the results I got. That's why I posted it as it is. But I agree that the development could be done differently and a more pleasing image could result.

Back