Ricoh CV21/4: my new favorite on the gxr

rbelyell

All-Pro
well ive had and sold and have a whole bunch of rf lenses. i was very happy with my 'current' gxr lineup of nikkor 35/2.5, summarit 50/1.5, elmar-c 90/4 and the slr biotar 75/1.5, except i had no wide pov. i had and sold the cv 15 and 25, no offense to anyone, they just didnt suit me. i was kind of down on cv, having also had and sold the 35/1.4 sc. but i took a chance on the 21/4 and wow, am i glad i did! its very tiny for a compact street rig, easily hyperfocused at f8 for 'hip' shots. and i find the IQ of more traditional 28mm just stunning. so here are some samples. most of the street shots were indeed 'from the hip'.

p2087648010-5.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

p2105286256-5.jpg

p1938699108-5.jpg

p2049356322-5.jpg

p2131008843-5.jpg

p1948953738-5.jpg

p2120939955-5.jpg

p1929491014-5.jpg

p1990505484-5.jpg

p2056892764-5.jpg

p2090307863-5.jpg

thanks SS. true enough. i just picked up an epl5 and 45/1.8. the results are awesome, but the lack of analogue controls make the rig very little 'fun' to. shoot.

thanks SS. true enough. i just picked up an epl5 and 45/1.8. the results are awesome, but the lack of analogue controls make the rig very little 'fun' to. shoot.

The Voigtlander lenses make a very nice range of tones and contrast with that nice classic feel.
The 21 Skopar is always on one of my cameras.
Your doing very well with it....

the quality really shows, very good samples Tony.
I also consider 28 or 30mm equival. to be best for street, you are really tempting my to look out for a CV21. Still I wonder why the CV15,25 and 35 didn't do it for you, I am very happy with my 15mm and 25mm.

Do you guys think it is still worth it to get GXR + M module? It is not exactly cheap and the sensor is getting old.
Any advice?

thanks! i always appreciate comments. 9 was a view from outside a local eatery and 10 was outside my house.

The more I look at #10, the more I appreciate it... it really leads the eye on a natural journey across the frame, with just enough background texture to provide context without distraction.

It's always a wonderful feeling when you come across a lens you really click with, glad you found yours!

thanks chris, that is very kind of you. it took a bit of time for me to get the framing where i liked it.

about relevence of gxr m mount, i'm all about cameras/rendition being a subjective thing, not to really be argued about, and not susceptible to flat out declarative sentences. having said that, it is my firm belief that if you want to shoot rf lenses and do not want to buy a leica, the gxr is the only camera to use. its IQ is simply outstanding, and is better paired to rf lenses than any non m alternative. sure its an 'old' sensor, but the fact is it produces great results and nothing else can match it. so what else is there to discuss? ):

Back