Cycling and photography

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Here's an interesting post I saw today. Many of us on these forums are into both cycling and photography, and here's a lad that's found a way to do both for a living. His choice of gear: 5D Mk III + 24-70/2.8, with an 85/1.8 occasionally along for the ride. He actually says he's not concerned with weight, and keeps the camera on a sling for easy access. And here I've thought it was a pain to ride with an X-T2 +18-55 slung around behind my shoulder. His gear outweighs what I typically carry by a kg or more: Rider's Lens: Conan Thai's Photography - BIKEPACKING.com

Although I have carried my X-T2 on a strap slung around my shoulder, lately I've been riding with my X30 in a tiny bag that it barely fits, and it hangs from my handlebar. I've tried various bags that were hard mounted to the bar, and I didn't care for how they hung up and out in front of the bar. The person that invents a rigid mount that holds a small camera in a small bag under the handlebar, yet is easily accessible, is gonna be rich . . . well, at least very much appreciated.

I have been riding with a sling bag carrying my Nikon df with a Nikon 50mm for the single in challenge. I can swing it back so it doesn’t hang but rest on my back so it really isn’t that bad.

I have been riding with a sling bag carrying my Nikon df with a Nikon 50mm for the single in challenge. I can swing it back so it doesn’t hang but rest on my back so it really isn’t that bad.
I have a sling bag I've used a number of times when cycling. It makes carrying stuff easier, but I can't keep the thing from rotating back around and annoying me when I'm riding, so I mostly don't use it. It is great though when I'm on a trail where I can't take my bike.

Man, I wouldn't lug around a DSLR while riding. My Nikon 1 J5 + 10mm f/2.8 FE is my casual rig, but if I was planning to shoot more seriously while riding I'd bring my Sony A9 + Tamron 28-200 f/2.8-5.6 super zoom and my Samyang 18mm f/2.8 and 35mm f/1.8 primes! Saying that, I could probably still bang out nice shots with my 1" sensor camera without the weight penalty!

... I could probably still bang out nice shots with my 1" sensor camera without the weight penalty!
I think you made a good point there, if you're just taking your camera to record a great day out, with some grabbed shots of cycling action and some interesting views of the scenery, a modern 1" camera is all you need.

But I can see that it's different if you take photographs for a living.

-R

The person that invents a rigid mount that holds a small camera in a small bag under the handlebar, yet is easily accessible, is gonna be rich . . . well, at least very much appreciated.
Perhaps this is what your looking for Tony.:

I have been using Rixen Kaul Klickfix handlebar mounts on my bikes for more than 40 years and never had any problems with them. Properly fitted they never move and you can just unclip the bags in seconds. Ortlieb are the very best bags and have the correct mounting plate fitted for the KlickFix brackets.
Hope that helps.

Perhaps this is what your looking for Tony.:

I have been using Rixen Kaul Klickfix handlebar mounts on my bikes for more than 40 years and never had any problems with them. Properly fitted they never move and you can just unclip the bags in seconds. Ortlieb are the very best bags and have the correct mounting plate fitted for the KlickFix brackets.
Hope that helps.
Thanks Ian. I also have a Rixen & Kaul bag. It sticks kind of far out in front of a bar like the Jones Loop, but I haven't seen anything better that will fit those bars.

I think you made a good point there, if you're just taking your camera to record a great day out, with some grabbed shots of cycling action and some interesting views of the scenery, a modern 1" camera is all you need.

But I can see that it's different if you take photographs for a living.

-R
From what I saw from of his photos, I think mirrorless would still be a better option. In fact, something compact like a full frame Sony A7C with the option to charge via a USB type-C port on a solar power charger would be better suited for touring. The A7C form factor would be perfect slung around the shoulder on a grippy neoprene camera strap.

Now I think I'll go on a morning bike ride!

Here's my Rixen & Kaul bag mounted on the front of my Jones bars. It sits a bit too much out front for my preferences. This morning I discovered I can order a set of the 31.8mm R & K adapters from the UK to fit the wider part of the bars where they mount to the stem. That should get the bag down lower and closer to the front wheel's center of rotation.

DSCF3777.JPG
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was thinking perhaps a top tube bag behind the stem, would be ideal for a compact camera to be placed. Though anything bigger would probably require a front mounted handle bar bag. I'd probably prefer something cylindrical shaped, to reduce bulk and be a little bit more aerodynamic...not that it would matter much!

Ortlieb have a camera system insert for their handlebar bag, have been eyeing that the past year, but so far not found it in stock in-country. I have also pondered getting a front rack and a larger bag and just stuff the camera into it, packed in some sort of wrapping, could be so easy as just some bubble wrap gaffa-taped together, one wrap pr item.

Attachments

• ortlieb.jpeg
    ortlieb.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 46
Back